April 24, 2024, 05:43:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which Shocks to buy '14 Limited - Ride Solo - No Trunk

Started by r0de_runr, March 16, 2020, 11:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

Quote from: rhuff on March 18, 2020, 12:26:28 AM
Quote from: Deye76 on March 17, 2020, 05:51:40 AM
Have heard good reviews of Race Tech also. IME no shocks are worth a $1000.00

Then you don't understand shocks.
By all means enlighten me.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Jim Bronson

Mine are the HD-159 model direct from the factory with the recommended spring. I've read the setup instructions several times and tried a couple of methods to set them up, but I can't get them set so the ride is better than the HD Premiums. I would be interested to hear how others have set theirs up, as I don't want to give up just yet.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

r0de_runr

Quote from: Jim Bronson on March 18, 2020, 06:25:02 PM
Mine are the HD-159 model direct from the factory with the recommended spring. I've read the setup instructions several times and tried a couple of methods to set them up, but I can't get them set so the ride is better than the HD Premiums. I would be interested to hear how others have set theirs up, as I don't want to give up just yet.

PM sent
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

Jim Bronson

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 18, 2020, 02:43:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Akbar on March 18, 2020, 01:41:15 PM
Quote from: r0de_runr on March 17, 2020, 11:17:16 PM
Howard Messner Motorcycle Metal

I assume that you bought his HD2 ajustables.   

I bought a set, real interested in your evaluation.

I'll post here my evaluation.  What are your observations?

So what's you eval? 

r0de_runr

Well I just put them on being lazy and I have not ridden the bike yet because of other considerations but I'll get out soon.

carolinayarddog

So how do I get in touch with Smarty regarding the Ohlins?

kd

Quote from: carolinayarddog on April 23, 2020, 08:47:55 AM
So how do I get in touch with Smarty regarding the Ohlins?

I think the suggestion was to send him a PM from here.
KD

r0de_runr

Well after a couple hundred Texas miles I can report I am happy as I can be on a Harley with these shocks.

As received I only had to take one turn of preload out, and three clicks of rebound removed and I report a much better ride.  Solo and no trunk.

Still no comparison to my BMW R1200RT but anyways...

I got mine from Howard.

Admiral Akbar

Here is my experience.

I weight about 185 (much lighter)  and installed the same shock on a 17 RK.  I use a C&C seat that does move my ass back a few inches.  I don't carry much weight in the saddlebags and always ride solo.  I used the exact same shock from Howard. I found the compression damping way too stiff.   Bike road like a rigid frame.   Played with preload, springs and even had a local shock builder decrease the compression damping twice.  Stock springs are 142 lb/in (25 N/mm).  I installed 90/120 springs off of some progressive 440 shocks. They helped.     I ended up removing the shocks and installing a set of Russ Werner Designs shocks.. Best so far.  The Howard shocks ended up on my 07 flhtc where I carry about 20 more LBs more crap in the bags.  They seem to work better there but still use the 90/120 springs and about 25mm of preload. Rebound is 20 clicks out..

So far my rating for shocks on baggers is

RWD, 
Ohlin 159
Motorcycle metal with springs and damping mods
Works with ARS (toss up between the moded MM and works)
Stock HD late M8
Progressive 440
MM stock
Stock HD early

Even tho I rate the MM stock low, it would do well as a track shock if all I did was run the bike hard through the corners. Again way too much compression damping.

HogMike

I delivered a 2016 cvo Streetglide to a friends house, right away I noticed how nice it rode compared to stock.
I didn't know he bought the bike (used) with the Ohlins already installed.
I have no idea who set them up but it rode very nice just about as nice as my old Custom Works setup.

My Works shocks were originally set up for long distance touring, heavy with trailer. I notice it is a little on the firm side solo, unloaded vs smooth with bsr unloaded. My ARS is on lightest setting now and works perfectly when 2 up.
I would be interested in trying the RWD on the new bike but can't justify the $$$ at this time.
As long as I can get them serviced I'll be keeping 2 of my bikes with the Works shocks.
But, as previously mentioned, the BMW has them all beat! LOL!
:missed: :potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Admiral Akbar

April 25, 2020, 06:33:09 PM #36 Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 06:38:00 PM by Admiral Akbar
Quote from: HOGMIKE on April 25, 2020, 04:37:43 PM
I delivered a 2016 cvo Streetglide to a friends house, right away I noticed how nice it rode compared to stock.
I didn't know he bought the bike (used) with the Ohlins already installed.
I have no idea who set them up but it rode very nice just about as nice as my old Custom Works setup.

My Works shocks were originally set up for long distance touring, heavy with trailer. I notice it is a little on the firm side solo, unloaded vs smooth with bsr unloaded. My ARS is on lightest setting now and works perfectly when 2 up.
I would be interested in trying the RWD on the new bike but can't justify the $$$ at this time.
As long as I can get them serviced I'll be keeping 2 of my bikes with the Works shocks.
But, as previously mentioned, the BMW has them all beat! LOL!
:missed: :potstir:

Well, Mike.
I know you are proud of how Works set up those shocks for you.  I still thinks a good set of 159s are better. You riding with Butch tomorrow?

HogMike

Got an invite with the other club to join them, won't make it with Butch and the group. Tell him hi for me!
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

Like I said, when I rode Johns cvo it was very nice, just didn't get a long ride, 2 up. :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

carolinayarddog

I just had the Revo A 13"s installed; the bike had Progressive 11.5 's on it when I bought it and it rode like a forklift.  Way better; night and day

Jim Bronson

I pulled my Ohlins 159 yesterday and reinstalled my HD Premiums. After a couple of months of trying to find that magical sweet spot for a comfortable ride, I decided the HD Premiums were just as good and perhaps better in the ride department. I tried every adjustment method I could find, and I got tired of pulling the bags after every ride in an attempt to achieve a better setup. I will say that the handling in twisties is very good with the Ohlins. I think I'm done trying to improve Harley's bagger suspension design from the 1940s. It looks like all the new softail models now use a mono shock design, so maybe the touring models are next. One can only hope.

rhuff

entry level ohlins will satisfy 99% of harley riders.

PoorUB

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 02, 2020, 10:24:44 AM
I pulled my Ohlins 159 yesterday and reinstalled my HD Premiums. After a couple of months of trying to find that magical sweet spot for a comfortable ride, I decided the HD Premiums were just as good and perhaps better in the ride department.

I like the Ohlins I put on my 2016 Limited and I am not done playing with the setup yet. Better than the air and better than the HD Premiums. Even my wife said she likes riding the Harley again.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jim Bronson

From my research on various forums, it is clear that the chunkier owners of heavier bikes who often ride 2-up are the most satisfied with aftermarket shocks. By comparison, I'm a skinny 180# on a RK with a light saddlebag load and never ride 2-up. I don't think aftermarket shocks are made for guys like me. I've tried; I'm done. Maybe a mono shock Heritage would be better for me.

rhuff

Quote from: PoorUB on May 02, 2020, 03:15:15 PM
Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 02, 2020, 10:24:44 AM
I pulled my Ohlins 159 yesterday and reinstalled my HD Premiums. After a couple of months of trying to find that magical sweet spot for a comfortable ride, I decided the HD Premiums were just as good and perhaps better in the ride department.

I like the Ohlins I put on my 2016 Limited and I am not done playing with the setup yet. Better than the air and better than the HD Premiums. Even my wife said she likes riding the Harley again.

Agreed.  There is no comparison.  I had ohlins on my 2003.  I sold the bike last summer with some progressives on them and was able to sell the ohlins for a good price, versus putting on my 2015 RGS.  I just tossed on a set of 13" premiums that I had sitting around that I got for free and put them on and did 1500 miles.  Better than the 12" but not enough to make me happy.  Makes me wish I had kept the Ohlins.

I'm debating doing the forks on the 2015 and getting some Ohlins, but I just feel like I'm done tossing money on a bike that I can ride beyond its limits.  It's frustrating, because there is nothing I like more than to add some mid-controls to the Road Glide, but I know that $3000 in suspension upgrades won't be enough. 

Give me a mono-touring frame, HD, or I have to leave.  Or add another bike :)

boooby1744

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 02, 2020, 04:46:00 PM
From my research on various forums, it is clear that the chunkier owners of heavier bikes who often ride 2-up are the most satisfied with aftermarket shocks. By comparison, I'm a skinny 180# on a RK with a light saddlebag load and never ride 2-up. I don't think aftermarket shocks are made for guys like me. I've tried; I'm done. Maybe a mono shock Heritage would be better for me.
It might be cheaper to get new springs or re valves Give Shorty a call.

r0de_runr

If it never bottoms out on your normal riding roads then you are set too stiff.

Should have about 2/3rd of the shaft showing when you are sitting on it.  Then use the rebound dampening to finish out the adjustments.

Mine is still a little stiff, but I don't mind that on the crooked Sisters.

PoorUB

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 02, 2020, 04:46:00 PM

Well, I am a chunky 180 pounds too. I didn't
like the Premiums because they were too harsh.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jim Bronson

Quote from: boooby1744 on May 02, 2020, 05:57:36 PM
I couldn't find an active member by that name.

boooby1744

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 02, 2020, 08:58:00 PM
Quote from: boooby1744 on May 02, 2020, 05:57:36 PM
I couldn't find an active member by that name.
Smarty,not shorty,sorry, a little too much  alcohol.