April 19, 2024, 05:11:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Options for Tuning 2018 Road Glide

Started by Sinker, March 16, 2020, 04:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinker

I have made some other posts about a 2018 Road Glide I bought late last fall. The only modifications it has are Screaming Eagle slip on pipes. The performance was nowhere near where I wanted it to be so I had it dyno tuned by a local shop that had started up in my area. It did pick up some gains but still not enough.
From there I bought new head pipes (without cats), the HD Torque cam, and a Ventilator intake. Now that I want to get all of this put together I find out the new shop has moved about an hour away. So I need to re-evaluate my options which are:
1) Take to the guy who has been working on it already (who lives an hour away). He seems to know his stuff and the re-tune portion of the job will only be $300, not sure what the rest of the installation of parts will cost.
2) Take to local dealer to install all the parts. If I go the local dealer route, what is my best option for tuning it? Is there a good tuning package available or should I take it back to the guy with the dyno machine?

PoorUB

A good dyno operator is worth the money, time and distance. One hour away? Last time I had a bike tuned I hauled it 3-1/2 hours one way.

Take it to the best guy you can find within 500 miles.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

A 9 hr drive and at least one over nighter for me.  Well worth it.
KD

Fat11Lo

I drive 6 hours one way for my favorite tuner

RTMike

Russell is 100 miles away from me and that's were everything goes with EFI

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hillside Motorcycle

Use a reputable independant, and allow him to use the tuner of his choice.
That way, you will have the best he has to offer.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Stay away from the Dealer. Not that their Tuner is not good but is limited as to what he can do. And, they're getting ready to come out with new Base tunes for the Stage II; as the current ones SUCK. And, I don't really see any improvement coming with the new one.

Labor for the install should be somewhere around $500 - $600 IF he used the 2018 Standard Job Labor Code Book.
Tom

tommy g

My tuner lives 800 miles away,  I have to cross an ocean, I've ridden the trip several times for a variety of builds AND I dont have a touring bike.
I also imported my woman from 3000 miles away so it might just be a pattern for me.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

bobrk1

Tuner  is 100 mile round  trip , done a couple  of  my bikes  worth  the  trip . 

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on March 18, 2020, 03:49:24 AM
Use a reputable independant, and allow him to use the tuner of his choice.
That way, you will have the best he has to offer.

:agree:
Tom

Ohio HD

And stay away from shops that will "auto tune" your bike on the road. If they do not own a dyno, they are not a tuner.

You're not that far from Roeder Racing? They tuned my '09 Ultra with just a cam change, exhaust and intake. They gave great results.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,98936.msg1155981.html#msg1155981

Hossamania

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 25, 2020, 09:11:00 AM
And stay away from shops that will "auto tune" your bike on the road. If they do not own a dyno, they are not a tuner.

Two local independent shops here. One uses a Dyno tuner to tune their builds. The other said not necessary, he can auto tune it on the road in a couple hours.
Guess which shop I use.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.