May 02, 2024, 10:11:23 PM

News:

07 transmission

Started by Coff 06, April 22, 2020, 04:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coff 06

Riding partner says his 07 Dresser shift lever Wont return.So my question is if it's the spring on the shifter coming out of the transmission,does the transmission have to come all the way apart? Or is there something else to be looking for?  Haven't seen the bike yet so I'll be starting with the linkage first.    Thanks
          Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

PoorUB

Definitely look the linkage over before going crazy. I have seen linkage installed wrong, or bent or some other way screwed up that messed up the shifting. Guys thought the tranny was going bad and it just took a few minutes to get everything adjusted properly.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

fleetmechanic

Also check for dryness or rust in the bushing on the inner primary that the front shaft to the pedals goes through.  Shaft rotation can get sticky.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Most probably the Shifter-Shaft-Mechanism and/or Spring. In most cases it's the Weld on the Mechanism itself that fails. Most cases due to "Cowboy Shifting" with the Heel-Shifter adjusted too high.

If you buy Jim's Tool [#5517] for the Cruise-Drive, you don't have to remove the Transmission.
Tom

jmorton10

That Jim's tool works great.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Coff 06

Thanks,I hope to see the bike this weekend.Someone told him it was probably the spring on the shifter pawl but he hasn't looked into it.            Coff 06

Coff 06

Update.        He brought the bike over this evening.Found the problem right away.When disconnecting the shift linkage we found the rear heim joint had froze up.Explains why it happened all at once.Had one in the toolbox and sent him on his way repaired.Thanks for the suggestions.              Coff 06

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on April 22, 2020, 06:49:37 PM
Most probably the Shifter-Shaft-Mechanism and/or Spring. In most cases it's the Weld on the Mechanism itself that fails. Most cases due to "Cowboy Shifting" with the Heel-Shifter adjusted too high.

If you buy Jim's Tool [#5517] for the Cruise-Drive, you don't have to remove the Transmission.

Confused by this answer.

That tool is for replacing a bushing without removing the transmission, nothing to do with replacing the shift pawl and shaft.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

fbn ent

Quote from: Coff 06 on April 24, 2020, 07:11:22 PM
Update.        He brought the bike over this evening.Found the problem right away.When disconnecting the shift linkage we found the rear heim joint had froze up.Explains why it happened all at once.Had one in the toolbox and sent him on his way repaired.Thanks for the suggestions.              Coff 06

Sweet!!  :up:  Gotta love those K.I.S.S. Principle fixes!  :beer: :beer:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

doctorevil

I dont know what your talking about jims #5517 knocks the shift sleeve inward so you can pull the shift paw and sleeve without touching the gear set. it does the same in reverse for a new sleeve, shiftpaw and seal.

FXDBI

Quote from: doctorevil on April 25, 2020, 12:18:03 PM
I dont know what your talking about jims #5517 knocks the shift sleeve inward so you can pull the shift paw and sleeve without touching the gear set. it does the same in reverse for a new sleeve, shiftpaw and seal.

Yes you need the extra clearance of the bushing removed and the pawl comes out without pulling the gearset. Just need to remove the primary drive to get at it.  Bob

Dan89flstc

Now I understand, thanks.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic