May 04, 2024, 05:57:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Installed man of war compensator

Started by topcat3815, April 09, 2020, 06:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topcat3815

Just back from ride after installing crankworks new compensator and WOW no more primary noise, Zero clunk going into first gear so much that I wasnt sure it was in first gear.  No slack when you release clutch. The motor seems smoother maybe it because the paper works state that the compensator is balanced and two lbs lighter. Bike is 2014 limited with minor head work, cr 570 cam  and tuner. I am very pleased

kd

Nice to hear.  Thanks for the early review.   :up:
KD

Ohio HD

Glad you shared your experience with it so far. I see one in my 124" TC's future.

Hossamania

I may have to go that way on my '12 Ultra, stock motor. Thanks for the feedback. Now to see how it holds up long term, it sure looks like a promising design for that.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

topcat3815

I forgot to mention that i bought the 32 tooth setup, I already had a game changer in the bike so I didnt need the shoe for the chain.

BJB

Good to know that a 32 tooth is an option.
I really like the Gamechanger I put in my RGU a couple of winters ago.

Rockout Rocker Products

Trying to envision how/why it would reduce the klunk into 1st gear? I always attributed that to parasitic drag on the trans mainshaft and it going from 1000 RPM to 0 in a millisecond.  :scratch:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

topcat3815

I think the klunk has more to do with the cams on the stock compensator since the only thing I changed was the compensator. But heck what do I know

jmorton10

I might have tried that if I hadn't already installed a 32t Vulcan solid sprocket.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

cheech

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 09, 2020, 09:45:14 AM
Trying to envision how/why it would reduce the klunk into 1st gear? I always attributed that to parasitic drag on the trans mainshaft and it going from 1000 RPM to 0 in a millisecond.  :scratch:
Me too. Not doubting the OP. I to figured the shaft has very little drag and no time to slow down.
If I fire mine up, pull the clutch in while the wife is getting her stuff into tour pack and whatnot. Give it time to slow or stop it goes right into gear with no clunk by the time we set off.
Quote from: jmorton10 on April 09, 2020, 11:31:30 AM
I might have tried that if I hadn't already installed a 32t Vulcan solid sprocket.

~John
Does yours still clunk into first gear?

jmorton10

Does yours still clunk into first gear?

Not at all, but I have a Baker Grudgebox tranny & Bandit Sportsman clutch, so it's not a fair comparison.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

topcat3815

brent

does the 32 tooth make  a big difference in first gear

topcat3815

I think the 32 tooth gear is perfect, Ive never felt that it increased the rpm,s that much, but just the opposite it pulls great in any gear.

smoserx1

Every motorcycle I have ever owned from my first little Honda 305 to the FLHT I now ride has clunked when changing gears.  Motorcycle transmissions do not use synchronizers like cars with manual transmissions.  Therefore how can they operate and NOT clunk?

PoorUB

Some clunk, some click. Any import I have owned shifted with a quiet click.

I have noticed when I ride with someone with a Harley i know when they are ready to roll because I can her them drop it into first gear. When riding with someone with an import I generally don't hear them put it into gear.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Buglet

I know BMW's and GUZZI's and some others that don't ever make a sound when you put in in 1st gear, in may click the the other gears but no clunk. My 82 FLT doesn't even make a nose when it goes in 1st. 90% of the time. I do see some Harley's the don't make a sound when they go in 1st. The early EVO,s go into 1,st a lot easier without the clunk. The clutch, clutch adjustment and idle speed has a lot to do with it. Energy One clutches seem to work the best as far as taken the clunk out of must bikes.     

kd

Quote from: Buglet on April 10, 2020, 05:41:35 AM
  I know BMW's and GUZZI's and some others that don't ever make a sound when you put in in 1st gear, in may click the the other gears but no clunk. My 82 FLT doesn't even make a nose when it goes in 1st. 90% of the time. I do see some Harley's the don't make a sound when they go in 1st. The early EVO,s go into 1,st a lot easier without the clunk. The clutch, clutch adjustment and idle speed has a lot to do with it. Energy One clutches seem to work the best as far as taken the clunk out of must bikes.     

You may be surprised if you pull the lever in and wait a few seconds for the rotating mass to stop spinning before you try to "pound" it into gear.  Simply select the gear.   This all depends on having a properly adjusted clutch.
KD

Buglet

Its good to see some people know how to put there bike in gear without making a clunk.

Ohio HD

Quote from: smoserx1 on April 10, 2020, 04:11:33 AM
Every motorcycle I have ever owned from my first little Honda 305 to the FLHT I now ride has clunked when changing gears.  Motorcycle transmissions do not use synchronizers like cars with manual transmissions.  Therefore how can they operate and NOT clunk?

:agree:

Quote from: kd on April 10, 2020, 05:56:02 AM
You may be surprised if you pull the lever in and wait a few seconds for the rotating mass to stop spinning before you try to "pound" it into gear.  Simply select the gear.   This all depends on having a properly adjusted clutch.

:agree:

A lot of what determines the noise when going from neutral to first gear, assuming no mechanical or adjustment issues pending, is the physical size an weight of the rotating mass, the size of the transmission gears and shafts, etc. I had a Kaw VN2000, 125" motor, large clutch and large transmission components. It was really no quieter than any HD I've owned when putting it into gear from neutral. Shift lever travel was not much if any shorter than an Twin Cam when changing gears. Again larger items in the transmission travel further to engage and to slow down when rotating.

Don D

No clunk, just wait for the transmission to stop turning with the clutch pulled in, assuming it is not dragging. Heavy oil in the trans better yet. Faster it stops the sooner the clunk is gone. Oh by the way may need to let the clutch out a tad if the gears are not lined up. I would not tie the compensator to any influence

Hossamania

I don't even care anymore if that thing bangs into gear, technically they all do it, mine have forever and they have lasted 50,000, 115,000, and 45,000 miles so far. It's a nice surprise when it just clicks in, but I don't worry if it bangs either. Even my old Shadow would clunk in.
When cold, I do hold the clutch for a few seconds before shifting the first time. When warm, shift away.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: Buglet on April 10, 2020, 07:12:13 AM
  Its good to see some people know how to put there bike in gear without making a clunk.
No kidding. Breaking the clutch plates free from that rotating mass without some noise is a talent that escapes me too.  Hell even the v rod has a slight clunk into first as do most sport bikes I've listened to.
Ron

cheech

Click, clack, clunk, who would a thunk.  :soda:
Anyways we or most are all aware they're dog clutch transmissions and clunk or click or whatever you want to call it. Some more or less than others.
And I always give it a few to slow down before going into 1st.
My experience has been the 6 speeds on Harleys make way more noise than the 5 speeds ever did.