April 22, 2024, 11:03:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

98 FLTRI Gearbox

Started by Skinnar, March 19, 2020, 09:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skinnar

Got some Broken Teeth in my Gearbox. Trap Door with Gear Cluster and Main Shaft Drive for Touring Models are supposed to be the same from 96 to 06. Would a set of Gears from a 05 Road Glide work in my 98 Road Glide. Concerned they may have made some changes to the Shifter Forks or Shifter Drum.

motorhogman

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=12&make=hdmc&a=275&vehicleid=1998-Harley-Davidson-Street-Bike-FLTR-ROAD-GLIDE%AE-(FP)

maybe go here and look at the part numbers for the two different years.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

turboprop

Quote from: Skinnar on March 19, 2020, 09:01:55 AM
Got some Broken Teeth in my Gearbox. Trap Door with Gear Cluster and Main Shaft Drive for Touring Models are supposed to be the same from 96 to 06. Would a set of Gears from a 05 Road Glide work in my 98 Road Glide. Concerned they may have made some changes to the Shifter Forks or Shifter Drum.

Yes. Any five speed gear set from any early 90s and and up, regardless of model,  are interchangeable with the gear set that is in your bike. If you are considering buying a used gear set off eBay, pay attention to the trap door. There are two versions. One with an 'ear' and one without. Look at your existing door. That is the one without the ear. All of the bagger models do not have ears. No need to search or another road glide gear set. They are all the same. No changes to the drum or forks required. Use your existing drum, pawl and forks.

-Someone will probably want to chime in and talk about the different types of gears, etc. Sort of irrelevant, but the later close mesh gears will be a little quieter than the earlier gears with fewer but larger teeth.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

JW113

Turbo answered your gear question. I would augment that if you are in that deep, to consider changing the shift drum, support blocks, and top cover to the 2002+ style. I did this to my '92 and love it. Better shift feel, no "secret" neutrals that I have found, and can get to neutral from 2nd gear when rolling up to a stop.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Deye76

What Turbo & JW posted.  :up:
Put a gear set , shift drum and clutch from a 04' Roadglide in my 92' FXR, on advice from Turboprop.  One of the best things I've done lately.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Skinnar

Thanks for the advice. Went on Ronnies and Part No.s are indeed the same for Gears ,Shafts, Forks. Shifter Drum was different but sounds like it is better. A box coming looks like it has a newer Drum so may change it. Put an Ad on Facebook Marketplace and on a B.C. Harley Buy and Sell Facebook Group with the heading ISO and got a lot of response close by so no big Shipping Costs like from E-Bay.   :up:

Dan89flstc

There are also two different size trap door bearings, the MoCo started using the larger bearings for the 1999 model year.

The bearing Outside Diameter is larger, so the trap door was changed to accommodate the larger bearing.

The bearing Inside Diameter remained the same, so the later trap doors can be interchanged with the earlier gearboxes and gearsets.

I have a trapdoor from a `99 bagger on my `89 Softail (I had to drill the door for a drain plug).

If you use the late model shift drum, you must also use the late model shifter pawl/shaft.

You will also need to replace the shift pawl/shaft bushing in the transmission case, or add a spacer in order for the shift pawl to be correctly positioned.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic