April 18, 2024, 06:44:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stock Clutch Basket after Big Bore Kit

Started by Vision, March 21, 2020, 07:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vision

Guys,

I don't hear much about anyone upgrading to heavy duty clutch baskets after Big Bore kits are installed on M8s.   When my 124 was done,  I used SE plates in conjunction with an AIM SDR plate.  So far it's been great, but wondering what the experts would recommend.  Have a friend who took a hard spill on his twin cam when his stock basket came apart while on the Hwy and locked his rear wheel.

Thanks in advance!

kd

There have been many conversations on this HTT site on this very issue.  It is a known problem (and as your friend has found out - dangerous) if you chose to run the soft basket and the new power it was not engineered to withstand.  There are many of us that changed the basket as part of the performance up grade package if we intend to use the power we added. Search the site for different clutch basket threads and you'll probably find some good info from those that have experienced the problem.
KD

Ohio HD

Your drive train is only as strong as the weakest link.

kd

KD

1workinman

Tail Ridr

What's the stock basket...pot metal? Something such as the Evo-Billet or forged aluminum basket should at least be strong enough for some moderate builds, no?
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

Ohio HD

The stock baskets for Evo, TX and M8 are cast aluminum. They're not likely to break just because you add HP and torque. The way they break is running the bike hard, meaning burnouts, speed shifting, drag race starts, etc. A stock basket won't necessarily fail from just the add power. Its a combination of that power and shocking the drive train.

ecir50

a pro's opinion on the stress that the baskets take and why is in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJeHXK6WPR4

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 22, 2020, 07:52:56 AM
The stock baskets for Evo, TX and M8 are cast aluminum. They're not likely to break just because you add HP and torque. The way they break is running the bike hard, meaning burnouts, speed shifting, drag race starts, etc. A stock basket won't necessarily fail from just the add power. Its a combination of that power and shocking the drive train.

:up:
KD

Vision

Great info Thanks!

Vision

Great info!  Thank you!  No burnouts, but definitely some hard shifting, engine braking and aggressive riding.

Vision

Thanks again everyone. I had a Trask Billet Clutch Basket installed.  Just looking at the difference in sheer difference in quality between the Trask and stock, I would have probably done this much sooner.