April 17, 2024, 09:33:53 PM

News:

.045 squish, should I be worried

Started by SB107, March 22, 2020, 02:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Maybe go with new cams? Set your squish at 0.030", Cycle Rama 660 will drop the compression to about 206ccp.

[attach=0]

[attach=1] 

1workinman

Quote from: SB107 on March 23, 2020, 12:24:59 PM
Quote from: kd on March 23, 2020, 11:41:35 AM
Quote from: SB107 on March 23, 2020, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: No Cents on March 23, 2020, 09:12:27 AM
  knowing that your heads are 90cc's...you know your bore and stroke measurements...why not just buy some CP pistons that will give you exactly what you are shooting for? Randy at Hyperformance might even have what you need in stock...if not he can have a set made for you to get your compression where you want it. He got me +4cc domed pistons for my 124" that is using a set of 110 heads.
  John Sachs could possibly look at the domed pistons you have and he might be able to machine the domes down enough to get you where you want to be. You have to examine the piston first to see if enough material is able to be machined off them. You don't want to weaken over the pistons pin hole too much.

I am trying to avoid buying another set of pistons at the moment. I already have these bought, so it would be cheaper and more time efficient for me to chuck them up in a mill and start shaving the crowns.
We will check the crown thickness prior to machining. If we cant machine them, then I will buy a new set of pistons, just trying to avoid the extra cost at the moment.

What Ray is saying makes sense too.  If you are paying for the machine work that's added expense.  You may / probably can sell yours to pay for the others.  I'd look into it at least. The 4.125 bore is pretty common so they may be readily available.  You'll then know what you need for future replacements also.  To me it sounds more like a KISS solution.

The pistons are going to be machined for no cost by my headwork guy. He will then re-check compression to ensure we can set squish at .030-.035 and keep the compression closer to 12.2:1. Thanks for your input, you guys have been a huge help!
My 143 is set to the 12.2 and I was a tad worried at first but a really good tune and some oil and ward cooing fans really make a difference . Of course a good tune . I check the oil temps and use that to show what to do and not as far as stop and go traffic ambient temp ect . At 12.2 depending on your cam timing really makes a difference . A light that shines brighter may not last as long not that I care lol

SB107

We shaved the pistons and dropped it to 12:1 with .030 squish.

We are going to run a dual 10 row oil cooler setup to drop engine temps. Being a larger displacement with healthy ccp I want to keep the temps in check.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

kd

KD