April 19, 2024, 07:00:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

After the SE Heavy Breather Modification??

Started by 838, March 22, 2020, 06:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The reason I decided to do this modification, and drill the breather holes to .125" was because after about 15 minutes of higher rpm freeway riding (80-85mph, but I have a 32t front compensating sprocket so rpms we're 3000-3500 range). I started blowing white smoke out the pipe and puking oil out of the filter.

I'm (finally) finishing this up tomorrow and the breather holes and venting away from the bike will be done. Will sustained riding in the 3000-3500 range now be a recipe for oil pukage? I usually cruise in the 2700-3000 range, but once in a while...

It's a 117", 11.1:1 compression, CR595i build (140/136).

kd

Which "breather holes" are you describing?  It's the drain holes in the twin cam rocker stands that are usually drilled to .125" and chamfered.   
KD

Coff 06

Some of us have also discovered lowering the oil level can help.At least 1/2 qt or so.   Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Yes. I was going to run it a 1/2 quart lower than the manual recommendation.

kd

If you are using a catch can you shouldn't have any more mess.  As said you can try the lower oil level or leave it to see if it finds its happy place on its own. Just remember to check the catch can and monitor the out put into it.  You'll get an idea when it stops.  The liquid will be less oil and mostly water when settled in the container.
KD

Quote from: kd on March 22, 2020, 07:16:17 PM
If you are using a catch can you shouldn't have any more mess.  As said you can try the lower oil level or leave it to see if it finds its happy place on its own. Just remember to check the catch can and monitor the out put into it.  You'll get an idea when it stops.  The liquid will be less oil and mostly water when settled in the container.

So riding at sustained rpms of 3000-3500 for periods of time is all good now? FYI that's 6th gear between 75-80mph.

kd

KD

Quote from: kd on March 31, 2020, 03:32:22 PM
:up:

I filled to 3q. It's blown out about another 1/2q while riding at these rpms. So next fill should I only do 2.5q and call it a day. And with that low of oil should I change every 3k instead of every 5k?

Coff 06

That's where I run my 06 Softail.It found the happy spot a little more than a 1/2 qt low.Still do 5k mi oil changes and never have had any problems to date.65k mi. It's a 98" 11.4/1   123/118.         Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Bike is running way better now that it's burning oil all day long! I think I found my "sweet spot" where all I get is a little bit of oily water... bike is an 09 street glide and when hot, on the jiffy stand, the oil just barley hits the very bottom of the dip stick. Any chance anybody would know roughly how much oil this would be? I was running a breather and will be switching to a catch can soon, so I couldn't keep track of how much fluid came out while riding.

kd

As the weather warms up the water discharge should drop off.
KD

No Cents

the "sweet spot" will vary from bike to bike...depending on the engine build and condition of the engines health.
On mine the "sweet spot" ended up being 108 ounces of oil. The factory called for 4 quarts/128 ounces.
   as kd stated...the warmer weather will show less oil and water that you get from the catch can.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Quote from: No Cents on April 08, 2020, 02:31:23 PM
   the "sweet spot" will vary from bike to bike...depending on the engine build and condition of the engines health.
On mine the "sweet spot" ended up being 108 ounces of oil. The factory called for 4 quarts/128 ounces.
   as kd stated...the warmer weather will show less oil in your water that you get from the catch can.
So I've found that sweet spot with my 117". It's there now. I started with 3q and now when I check the oil, hot, on the jiffy stand the oil just barley touches the bottom of the dip stick. I was checking to see if anybody knew (roughly) how much oil that would equate to.

Hossamania

One way to know for sure...
Well two, actually.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

jty

Quote from: 838 on April 08, 2020, 12:44:19 PM
Bike is an 09 street glide and when hot, on the jiffy stand, the oil just barley hits the very bottom of the dip stick. Any chance anybody would know roughly how much oil this would be?
About 1.5 quarts
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office

I just got a catch can and am going to install it. What I thought was my "happy spot" was not, I have the oil right now to where when hot, standing upright, the oil just touches the bottom of the  dip stick and it's still dumping oil (mainly when I give some throttle). Can the "sweet spot" be this low?

kd

KD

FXDBI

Quote from: 838 on April 24, 2020, 11:44:27 AM

I just got a catch can and am going to install it. What I thought was my "happy spot" was not, I have the oil right now to where when hot, standing upright, the oil just touches the bottom of the  dip stick and it's still dumping oil (mainly when I give some throttle). Can the "sweet spot" be this low?

Have you done a leak down test on it just to confirm is all good?  Seems excessive to me.  Bob

I'm on my way to check this here in an hour or so... don't have a gauge, but a buddy has a shop. If leak down is good I'm thinking sumping??? Or misaligned oil pump???

FXDBI

April 24, 2020, 11:57:11 AM #20 Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:09:09 PM by FSG
Quote from: 838 on April 24, 2020, 11:52:45 AM
I'm on my way to check this here in an hour or so... don't have a gauge, but a buddy has a shop. If leak down is good I'm thinking sumping??? Or misaligned oil pump???

Generally speaking oil loss is from poor ring seal or loose valve guides/leaky valve seals. Sumping wont increase consumption it will kill power and make it idle poor. Bob

April 24, 2020, 12:02:01 PM #21 Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:09:45 PM by FSG
Quote from: FXDBI on April 24, 2020, 11:57:11 AM

Generally speaking oil loss is from poor ring seal or loose valve guides/leaky valve seals. Sumping wont increase consumption it will kill power and make it idle poor. Bob

Compression test still reads 210/210. I did this right before the breather mod. Excuse my ignorance but how would leaking valve guide seals cause oil to come out of the breathers?

kd

IIRC the problem is oil discharge through the crankcase breathers.  The head breathers, drains, ring leakage would be the top 3 places to look.  If you had a catch can you could monitor it better but I think the leak down test should be done first to confirm it isn't crankcase pressure. Next the cylinder head breather valves  (have they been assembled properly?).  Do the suck and blow test. It wouldn't be the first time poor assembly was the issue.  IIRC the rocker stand drain holes were opened up so if that was done they should not be the issue.
KD

FXDBI

April 24, 2020, 12:11:11 PM #23 Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:10:06 PM by FSG
Quote from: 838 on April 24, 2020, 12:02:01 PM

Compression test still reads 210/210. I did this right before the breather mod. Excuse my ignorance but how would leaking valve guide seals cause oil to come out of the breathers?

Leaky valve seals will allow oil past into the combustion chamber and increase oil usage,  do you have the metal breathers in the rocker boxes and are they installed the right way.  Was that a cold test done dry? How many cranks to hit 210?  A leak down test will show any cylinder leakage.  Bob

April 24, 2020, 12:32:59 PM #24 Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:10:39 PM by FSG
Quote from: FXDBI on April 24, 2020, 12:11:11 PM
Quote from: 838 on April 24, 2020, 12:02:01 PM

Leaky valve seals will allow oil past into the combustion chamber and increase oil usage,  do you have the metal breathers in the rocker boxes and are they installed the right way.  Was that a cold test done dry? How many cranks to hit 210?  A leak down test will show any cylinder leakage.  Bob

I have metal breathers How could they be installed wrong?