April 24, 2024, 12:26:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

After the SE Heavy Breather Modification??

Started by 838, March 22, 2020, 06:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXDBI

April 24, 2020, 12:47:56 PM #25 Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:10:58 PM by FSG
Quote from: 838 on April 24, 2020, 12:32:59 PM
Quote from: FXDBI on April 24, 2020, 12:11:11 PM
Quote from: 838 on April 24, 2020, 12:02:01 PM
Quote from: FXDBI on April 24, 2020, 11:57:11 AM
Quote from: 838 on April 24, 2020, 11:52:45 AM
I'm on my way to check this here in an hour or so... don't have a gauge, but a buddy has a shop. If leak down is good I'm thinking sumping??? Or misaligned oil pump???

Generally speaking oil loss is from poor ring seal or loose valve guides/leaky valve seals. Sumping wont increase consumption it will kill power and make it idle poor. Bob

Compression test still reads 210/210. I did this right before the breather mod. Excuse my ignorance but how would leaking valve guide seals cause oil to come out of the breathers?

Leaky valve seals will allow oil past into the combustion chamber and increase oil usage,  do you have the metal breathers in the rocker boxes and are they installed the right way.  Was that a cold test done dry? How many cranks to hit 210?  A leak down test will show any cylinder leakage.  Bob

I have metal breathers How could they be installed wrong?
It happens been more than one set in backwards on here search it up also rocker box gaskets in wrong , just a simple blow suck test will confirm there installation. Was also a problem with the screws being to long on some of the metal stamped breathers not allowing them to seal when tightened.
  Bob

kd

As said it is easy to do.  You may find some good descriptions on how easy by searching for threads here. Finding one with good descriptions may remind you how you did yours, or you just do the test first to see how tight they seal.  That's the first step before even thinking about popping the rocker covers off.
KD

FXDBI

Quote from: kd on April 24, 2020, 12:59:18 PM

As said it is easy to do.  You may find some good descriptions on how easy by searching for threads here. Finding one with good descriptions may remind you how you did yours, or you just do the test first to see how tight they seal.  That's the first step before even thinking about popping the rocker covers off.

:agree:

doctorevil

I sure would stop chasing my tail with oil levels a such. In my shop it would be on the lift 2 rocker box gaskets ,2 stamped steel breather boxes ,2 cover gaskets. 2hours and i bet it would be good. as most of the shops will tell you how many bikes have been fixed from mistakes by others by r and r  fresh parts and gaskets. So much of it is proper assembly.

Hilly13

After I upped the compression on my 110 FLSS it was building pressure in the oil tank at sustained high rpm and blowing the cap out, it already had the 1/8 holes in the plates and external vents, there was no oil coming out the vents.
After a bit of digging I decided to enlarge the exit passageway for the vented air by drilling out the breather bolts as big as feasable and replacing all associated fittings to 5/16 before the Y and 3/8 after the Y as well as bigger ID hoses. I ran a drill through all the new fittings as well to a safe maximum.
Can now run as hard as I like and the cap stays in place, this may not be your issue but perhaps some food for thought, hih.
Just because its said don't make it so

FXDBI

I'm on my way to check this here in an hour or so... don't have a gauge, but a buddy has a shop. If leak down is good I'm thinking sumping??? Or misaligned oil pump???
Did you get this resolved? What was the leak down? Don't leave us all hanging.   Bob

Quote from: FXDBI on May 15, 2020, 07:12:25 PM
Did you get this resolved? What was the leak down? Don't leave us all hanging.   Bob

Leak down was 4% each, ccp was 210/210. But still oil was getting past. Going to fit a new set of pistons and rings soon  :emoGroan: project on the fence for a while though. Luckily I've got a back up bike.