April 24, 2024, 12:33:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Restoring old leather saddlebags?

Started by Finn, March 23, 2020, 03:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

The HD saddlebags on my Springer are very dry - not yet brittle but dry. They are old, I think they were put on back in 1997 as an accessory.

What product should I use first to make them elastic again? I 'think' that I should keep putting on some sort of product as long as the leather absorbs it and only then use some leather conditioner or such.

Suggestions?

[attach=0]

[attach=1]
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Finn

Perhaps this might be suitable. Should be easy to apply.  :scratch:

[attach=0]
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

tdrglide

I picked up a pair of old fxr leather saddlebags that had probably sat in someone's garage for 30 years. Very stiff and dried out. I first used some Lexol leather conditioner and then finished with Fiebings Aussie leather conditioner. Came out very nice.
Check out the horse saddle and tack forums. Like oil threads  :oil:

thunderrat

On dried out bags like yours I prefer Obenauf's leather Oil (made in Idaho) applied til they don't take any more   followed up by Doc Bailey's Black Again............ted

jmorton10

Lexol leather conditioner.

That is what the horse people I know use on tack/saddles etc. & that stuff is really expensive so you know they will use the best stuff available to protect it.

I've used it for years on my Corbin leather seats et.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

a_disalvo

Barrett

phillyfan

The absolute best for leather is the Leatherique system. It is a system that is different then all others for sure. I have used it multiple times on vehicle seats that are uncoated leather.
First, put a couple drops of water on a bag. If the water drop soaks in then it is uncoated.

Follow the directions, it takes a while, but the results will be fantastic. Oil first, then the clean

https://www.detailedimage.com/Leatherique-M8/Rejuvenator-Oil-P65/32-oz-S2/

https://www.detailedimage.com/Leatherique-M8/Prestine-Clean-P64/16-oz-S1/
'09RG. S&S 106, Drago2, CR 575.
Too much $$ into audio

jmorton10

Leatherique looks like a great product, but how is it better than something like Lexol that is kind of the industry standard for leather care ??

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

PoorUB

Quote from: a_disalvo on March 23, 2020, 06:21:15 AM
Crisco, cheap and it works! Frank

Plus your bike smells like fried food when the bags get hot from the pipes!

Seriously, I would avoid any vegetable oil or animal fat. They can go rancid and rotten.

Use products designed for the purpose.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

jty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office

Dan89flstc

March 23, 2020, 09:16:06 AM #11 Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:27:14 AM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: thunderrat on March 23, 2020, 05:08:49 AM
On dried out bags like yours I prefer Obenauf's leather Oil (made in Idaho) applied til they don't take any more   followed up by Doc Bailey's Black Again............ted

I`ve been using it on my boots for years, never tried it on leather bags,  I have an old original set that came on my Softail, (they look worse than the OP`s saddlebags).

Another project to ward off cabin fever :up:
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Finn

nibroc

tdrglide

After you oil/condition the leather, stuff the bags with packing paper to help stretch them back into shape. Let sit for a week. I then used the Fiebings Aussie conditioner to finish off cause it also has beeswax to help waterproof.

jmorton10

Quote from: PoorUB on March 23, 2020, 08:16:04 AM

Seriously, I would avoid any vegetable oil or animal fat. They can go rancid and rotten.

Neatsfoot oil falls into that category.......

~John

MikeL

This is what my shoemaker friend uses and recommends

https://www.urad.com/welcome.cfm?lang=en&gclid=CjwKCAjwvOHzBRBoEiwA48i6AltThLQj15tZhdoWMGbRHKm_bk03hSGztKEjt9wlVnEp6biZq3TgcBoC6Q4QAvD_BwE

MIKE

sharkoilfield

Quote from: jmorton10 on March 23, 2020, 11:00:51 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on March 23, 2020, 08:16:04 AM

Neatsfoot oil falls into that category.......

~John

Yet Neatsfoot oil is what real cowboys (and cowgirls) in the country use. I asked them; applied with a paint brush and let soak in.  Looks gross if the bottle gets too cool; warm it up and shake it.  It may seem strange that a natural animal product would be used on a natural animal product...but it's worked for me for years.

vafatboy1

If you have a tach shop nearby and see what they recommend

db13

JW113

No product will fix the damage already done from not caring for the leather in the first place. But you can keep the leather from further damage and make it look better with just about any "oil" product. Leather is made up of a bunch of fibers, which when dried out tend to rub against each other and break. They also shrink up when dried out. I personally use Lexol on external leather, but don't endorse it over any other leather treatment. I find they all work pretty much the same. For internal leather (like my car seats), I find animal oil based products tend to feel "greasy". Surprise! So instead I use McGuires's leather care.

Just one more voice in the sea of 'experts'!
:SM:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

phillyfan

Quote from: jmorton10 on March 23, 2020, 07:05:49 AM
Leatherique looks like a great product, but how is it better than something like Lexol that is kind of the industry standard for leather care ??

~John

Leatherique works a lot different then anything else. How you use it is to rub the oil all over the leather and let them get hot, not in direct sun. The oil goes down into the pores and pushes all the crap out of the pores of the leather, this takes hours. Sometimes more oil is needed, sometimes not.
Once the oil is done working you use hot water and the clean to remove everything. It is really amazing combo for leather.
I have used Lexol before but on uncoated leather that is dirty, Lexol isn't in the same ballpark with this stuff.

On light colored leather you can see the crud just being pushed out of the leather.

When it gets hot outside, put this stuff on the bags and put them in a shed or inside your car for hours. The more time with the oil, the cleaner they will get.

I put the oil on the seats, start the vehicle and turn the heat on. If it has seat warmers I turn them on too. Get it hot and then turn the car off
'09RG. S&S 106, Drago2, CR 575.
Too much $$ into audio

dmrdn

The old timers always used Neats Foot Oil to keep the harnesses & reins and all the straps they used with the horse's soft and pliable and prevent cracking

boooby1744

screem

I bought a pair of dryed out , misshaped bags for my fatboy, edges of the lids were curled, the were sunk in and pretty much looked like a taco. I started soaking them with Fieblings liquid saddle soap and conditioner for a few weeks and got the leather more plyable. I stuffed the bags tight with news paper while applying more liquid saddle soap (glyserin Based) and i taped down the curled edges of the lids. Once every thing was pliable and shape had come back into the bags,  i sent them to Leatherlidinserts.com. the company happens to be in my home town, so i was able to just drop them off, the Owner Ray is a pro at getting bags back into shape. I would 100% recommend him to to bring your bags back to life. He was reasonable in price, he installed stiffeners inside the bags and under the lids, i still use the liquid saddle soap on them every few months to keep them supple and looking great