April 24, 2024, 08:48:08 AM

News:

15% clutch spring needed with this combo?

Started by Adam76, April 05, 2020, 07:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Hey guys, ordering some parts for a new clutch going into my '96 Evo heritage softail. So far l have the Barnett extra plate clutch kit. The engine build I'm doing should get me around 75/75  possibly  80/80.

Will l need the 15% stronger clutch spring as well, or do you reckon I'll get by with the stock spring and extra plate kit....
I don't want clutch slippage, but l want the clutch lever to still be an easy pull.

Thanks for any advice. 

Burnout

I don't put those springs in unless the clutch slips.

I doubt you will need a heavier spring.

I test it by slipping the clutch in high gear at full throttle.
The clutch should grab firmly, if it doesn't double check the push rod adjustment to insure there is sufficient free play.
Adjust lever freeplay with the bars straight ahead.
No tight bends in the clutch cable.....
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

kd

If you can find a '98 up clutch they are an all around better choise.
KD

Adam76

Quote from: kd on April 05, 2020, 08:06:25 PM
If you can find a '98 up clutch they are an all around better choise.
Thanks kd, what makes it a better clutch? Maybe l can get the parts but I'll never find a 98 clutch downunder... Just not enough bikes like you guys have floating around. We don't have swap meets like you guys either.

Adam76

Quote from: Burnout on April 05, 2020, 07:24:06 PM

Thanks burnout, not sure what you mean by slipping the clutch at full throttle. Can you run that by me again? Cheers

kd

By '98 up I mean the later model clutch including the twin cam years.  Lots of members here have done it.  Maybe search the site for their experiences.  Look around in your area for someone that has a built engine and upgraded.  They may have an OEM set-up on the shelf.
KD

Burnout

Quote from: Adam76 on April 05, 2020, 08:11:03 PM
Quote from: Burnout on April 05, 2020, 07:24:06 PM

Thanks burnout, not sure what you mean by slipping the clutch at full throttle. Can you run that by me again? Cheers

At full power put some pressure on the clutch lever until the clutch slips, then when you let go it should grab positively.
Be careful doing this as you don't want to slip the clutch much as it will make heat and overheating will kill the clutch.
But you should get an immediate bump when you take pressure off the clutch lever, if the clutch doesn't grab firmly and eases back to gripping or you have to release the throttle to get it to grip there is a problem with your clutch.
If you are not sure of this have it checked by a trained professional.

A stock clutch with the extra plate is stronger than folks will admit. Poor adjustment or abuse is what usually kills a clutch.
The clutch should grab solid any slipping will make heat and eventually destroy the clutch.

Slipping doesn't always mean you need a stiffer spring, and a stiffer spring is harder on the cable and lever and your hand.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"