April 25, 2024, 10:41:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2019 M8 oil pan. What is the hex plug on the right side of the oil pan

Started by Ken R, March 19, 2020, 12:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken R

I have a new Dakota Digital gauge set for my 2019 EGlide Ultra Limited.  All installed . . . .love it. 
But, it comes with an oil temperature sensor.  Instructions say to install the sensor in place of the oil drain plug since there is no adjacent plugged hole in the front of the drain pan.

But what is that hex drain plug on the right side of the pan?  Manual just says, "Don't remove". 

If it goes into the engine oil, I'd like to put the temp sensor there, instead.    (unless someone has a better idea).

Ken

IronButt70

Does the M8 have the drilled oil passages with plugs in them in front of where the oil filter mounts? That's where mine is mounted on my TC.
https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,101659.msg1207810.html#msg1207810
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Geezer_Glider

Front right corner of the pan? Either feed or return for oil. Would work OK, just don't restrict the flow too much. Probably access for drilling a hole.
R Meyer

Ken R

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on March 20, 2020, 10:38:43 AM
Front right corner of the pan? Either feed or return for oil. Would work OK, just don't restrict the flow too much. Probably access for drilling a hole.
R Meyer

There's nothing in the hole but the hex plug.  I'd rather not remove it to see without some knowledge of what it goes to.  (since the manual instructs to not remove)
I'm surprised that someone here on the forum doesn't have an oil pan from a '19 or '20 M8 engine to see. 

In the meantime, I screwed the Dakota Digital oil temp sensor into the oil drain hole.  I don't like it there.  For one thing, it's impossible to turn a wrench on it to drain the oil without jacking the rear of the motorcycle way up (a foot or more) for a closed-end wrench to get clearance to rotate (and then lower it back down to get the oil out).  A short socket won't seat on the sensor assembly.  A long sensor hits the crankcase and won't go onto the sensor.  I used a crow foot 3/4" wrench and a ratchet, but it's awkward. 

FSG

kd

KD

shysterorange

what is the NPT Plug size just behind rear brake master cylinder? Some are hooking up oil pressure gauges to this plug. is that 1/8 npt or 1/4 npt?

IronButt70

Quote from: shysterorange on March 23, 2020, 03:33:52 PM
what is the NPT Plug size just behind rear brake master cylinder? Some are hooking up oil pressure gauges to this plug. is that 1/8 npt or 1/4 npt?
1/4. My gauges needed 1/4x1/8 reducers.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.