March 28, 2024, 05:24:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

James or Harley

Started by a_disalvo, March 26, 2020, 06:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_disalvo

Looking for exhaust gaskets, HD # 17048-98, James or HD, same price, preference???? Thanks, Frank

motorhogman

I made the mistake of using James thin gaskets on my TC88 with stock head pipes.. had to replace them with OEM style tapered. Couldn't get the James to stop leaking.. Not so much a problem with the gaskets but the application.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Deye76

Some pipes (like Bassani RR FXR) will leak unless the stock type thick gasket is used. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Mule

I always avoid James gaskets unless there is no other choice...

turboprop

Quote from: a_disalvo on March 26, 2020, 06:56:03 AM
Looking for exhaust gaskets, HD # 17048-98, James or HD, same price, preference???? Thanks, Frank
gaskets.

That part number is for the flat style of exhaust seals. I think Harley calls them screaming eagle gadgets. But regardless, Harley and James probably source them from the same factory. I am not aware of any differences between the two brands of that style of gasket.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kd

Quote from: turboprop on March 26, 2020, 08:19:07 AM
Quote from: a_disalvo on March 26, 2020, 06:56:03 AM
gaskets.

That part number is for the flat style of exhaust seals. I think Harley calls them screaming eagle gadgets. But regardless, Harley and James probably source them from the same factory. I am not aware of any differences between the two brands of that style of gasket.

I have 2 distinctly different versions of the SE small ring gasket.  The SE version is soft and compressible.  The other one I have I source from Burns Stainless.  When I got my Burns pipe they supplied gaskets and their version is a lot stiffer and do not collapse as deeply.  I have been using them with good results.  I wanted to ask Vince where he gets them but didn't want to have him think I was looking to cut him out of the sale. Some day I may ask. 
KD

SP33DY

The stiff gaskets may be Cometic C9719 Exhaust Gaskets, also available as Drag Specialties 0934-1336

kd

Thanks for that. I may give Phil a call and order a few needs and get a set from each place to see.
KD

les

Quote from: Mule on March 26, 2020, 07:55:03 AM
I always avoid James gaskets unless there is no other choice...

Me too.  I had a set of James rocker box gaskets that poured out oil only 20 miles from my house right after I did a build.  Rode back, replaced with OEM and won't ever use James stuff again.