went afew miles and stuck on side of the road

SP33DY

Stand pipe must have come out

david lee

how many miles or klms does reserve give you with 3.5 gal tanks. thanks

Hossamania

Quote from: david lee on March 27, 2020, 03:35:40 PM
how many miles or klms does reserve give you with 3.5 gal tanks. thanks

Each one can be different, it depends on your petcock, the angle of the tanks and if they've been modified, or as mentioned, that the standpipe has come loose. Best way to find out is to bring some fuel in a separate container, take it for a ride until it runs out, switch to reserve, and note the mileage when that runs out.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Uhhm, what I would do is have just enough fuel in the tank to be on regular flow. With the bike level in the driveway, motor cold, let the fuel flow out of the fuel line until it stops. Take a fresh container and let it drain on reserve until it stops. What ever your amount of fuel is multiply x the average low fuel consumption.

0.4 gallon x 30 mpg = 12 miles.

Hossamania

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 27, 2020, 08:58:04 PM
Uhhm, what I would do is have just enough fuel in the tank to be on regular flow. With the bike level in the driveway, motor cold, let the fuel flow out of the fuel line until it stops. Take a fresh container and let it drain on reserve until it stops. What ever your amount of fuel is multiply x the average low fuel consumption.

0.4 gallon x 30 mpg = 12 miles.

or, you could do it that way too...

a_disalvo

When your tank is almost empty, drain it and pull the petcock out. You can check the standpipe and good excuse to clean the screen. Frank

bump

My 78 owners manual says reserve is 1/2 gallon. I can go about 15-20 miles without a problem. I usually get gas about 125-150 miles because I don't like pushing

Mule

When I hit reserve on my shovel I get about 8-12 miles... It likes Fuel a lot!

Reddog74usa

I have found it really depends on the petcock. On my 68 with 5 gal. tanks and using a Pingle I have a gallon left once I hit reserve. The trick is knowing how much of that gallon is actually available to me as some like the Pingle do not drain the tank all the way to bone empty. I would do as stated and take the bike for a ride with a spare container of fuel then once on reserve see how far you go  until it's done, that way you know how far you can get on reserve and weather or not your tank goes full on empty or has a bit left when it won't flow to the carb. Good to know fer sher....
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

ironsled

yeah I think it is the petcock
to small or short
looking to buy a better one
the accel high flow??

FLHRI_2004

Quote from: SP33DY on March 27, 2020, 02:35:07 PM
Stand pipe must have come out

Ha!  Been there ONCE years ago.  Pushed the bike for a few miles until I reached the gas station.  I was always more careful after that.
My Ride: Road King

Burnout

Reserve capacity of the tank is set by the length of the stand pipe and the angle the tank is mounted.

All petcocks to my knowledge will drain to essentially the bottom of the fitting.
But if the tank is angled some fuel will not be available.....

You can shorten the stand pipe, difficult to lengthen as the screen is only as tall as it is.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Harpo

It's easy for me to never run out of fuel.  With a small peanut tank on an old chopper you can't pass a gas station!

cheech

March 30, 2020, 11:19:44 AM #14 Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:39:44 AM by cheech
Quote from: ironsled on March 28, 2020, 10:29:19 AM
yeah I think it is the petcock
to small or short
looking to buy a better one
the accel high flow??

I'm partial to Pingel myself. http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/fuel-valves.asp
So no experience with the Accel.
Other than the Accel leave a lot to be desired in the appearance dept. compared to Pingel (IMO), I'd be doubtful if they have any issues. They are bone simple.
If some one reading that has used them hope they'll let you know their results.
Edit to say FWIW, If you haven't got a Fire breathing Hoss that's starving for fuel. I'm of the opinion you'd have no issues with a $25 stock type replacement valve from Drag or some other vendor.
If you're of the mind to keep it budget friendly.

crock

Had an accel and it started leaking one day.  when you turned it on it would seep out around the leaver. I never did like the nighty/ lefty type and I found o be the appropriate size to tap 3/8 NPT so I went with this                            https://www.jpcycles.com/product/4100030/j-p-cycles-chrome-petcock?redirectedKeyword=4100030&totalResult=1
I'm running a 98" motor and will hot rod it on occasion and have never starved it.
Crock

Hossamania

Like Cheech, I'm partial to Pingel, I've had one for twenty years, never a problem.

Racepres

Quote from: Hossamania on March 31, 2020, 05:09:23 AM
Like Cheech, I'm partial to Pingel, I've had one for twenty years, never a problem.
Agree...and if you do have a Problem... they will fix it!!! Free

a_disalvo

Filter screen came off my Pingel, called them, they could sell me a new screen OR I could send it to them and for $15.00 they would rebuild the whole thing!! No brain-er, it was 20 years old!! Turn around time was short. I wouldn't buy anything but Pingel, Frank