April 19, 2024, 02:38:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

107 torque cam / setup ?

Started by 89FLHT, March 28, 2020, 05:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

89FLHT

2020 SG standard , want to install a SE Torque cam and keep the stock exhaust system. I realize that using the stock exhaust will not get all that is possible from the cam, but will there still be an increase ? 
Given the restriction I am placing on keeping the full stock exhaust, any recommendations for tune and intake mods that the dealer can do and ensure the extended warranty remains intact ?  Thanks.

rigidthumper

I would suggest the SE Heavy Breather, SE tuner,  and SE447 TQ cam. Ask the dealership if they can add the SE parts to your SWR, which is the document showing all factory & ESP eligible covered items. There are limits as to what they can add, and when, relative to purchase date.
If so, they will use map A41000819C if the bike  doesn't have RDRS, or A41000796C if the bike  does have RDRS. All of this should be covered if added to the SWR,
As far as making a difference, the TQ cam with HB and tune should pull 10% more than stock at 3000, and upwards of 15% by 4500. Not killer, but definitely noticeable.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

89FLHT

Sinker

I have a 2018 RG Ultra in the shop right now. I already has SE mufflers. I am doing the same torque cam as you, Ventilator air induction, headpipes without catalytic converters, and a dyno tune. Should be done sometime this week.

Hillside Motorcycle

Not the Squealin' Seagull flavor, but a Red Shift .468 is what we see works well.
Installing/tuning 2 more this coming week.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 89FLHT on March 28, 2020, 05:50:23 AM
2020 SG standard , want to install a SE Torque cam and keep the stock exhaust system. I realize that using the stock exhaust will not get all that is possible from the cam, but will there still be an increase ? 
Given the restriction I am placing on keeping the full stock exhaust, any recommendations for tune and intake mods that the dealer can do and ensure the extended warranty remains intact ?  Thanks.

I bought my M8 RK back in 2017, and at the 1000 mile service, I had the torque cam, adjustable pushrods, SE AC that fits under the stock cover, and SE tuner.  Exhaust system / mufflers stayed stock.  Bike has over 31000 on it now.   IMO the stock cam sucked. It basically ran out of steam at about 4000 rpm.  This bike pulls fine all the way to the redline.  If there is any reduction in power, I'm not sure I'd notice it. After all, the cat is still in the head pipe and stage 1 bikes really don't make much more power than stock. That kinda says that the stock mufflers ain't that bad.    I like the quiet.

kd

I think the OEM cams are designed to fall off around there so you won't bother revving past that.  It allows for more crank run out etc. and that means fewer warranty claims for them. 
KD

89FLHT

Dealer called and due to the shop being slow, they offered me a very good discount on installing the Stage 3 kit and having it covered with the warranty and the extended warranty as it was done within 60 days of the purchase.  I still kept the stock exhaust and went with the SE heavy breather.  Broke it in last weekend and very happy with the increase in performance.