April 19, 2024, 03:25:32 PM

News:

Rear Axle Lock

Started by Boe Cole, March 29, 2020, 09:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boe Cole

2011 Road Glide Ultra with upgraded 103 engine and tune - puts out over 100 hp and 100 torque.

Came back from Daytona Bike week and washed my bike.  Notice the belt was extremely loose - as in really loose to the point that it would not be long before the front pulley would start missing teeth.  This really surprised me as I had adjusted the belt before I went to Daytona and the whole trip was only 2,000 miles.  Looking at the axle cam, it was 180 out of where it should be - was not even close to where it should be.  I'm going to pull the rear wheel and see if i have a bearing going south and have ordered the rear wheel axle lock from BigBear so it won't happen again.

I'll admit to getting it on but does anyone have any idea what would cause the axle to rotate 180 degrees other than a bearing starting to go south and my heavy hand on the throttle.  I torqued the nut to 150lbs which is more than called for when i adjusted the belt before leaving for Daytona so I'm really stumped.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Ohio HD

Maybe spin the axle around, it could only get tighter then.   :nix:

The swing arm and wheel don't care what direction the axle is pointing.

road-dawgs1

'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

kd

Remove the axle and clean all of the grease residue from the washers and swing arm.  Reassemble being careful not to contaminate any of the clamping surfaces. Re-torque the axle fastener to a slightly higher torque.   Folks with the later models in your vintage at least are using  125# without issue and it has cured it for them.  I see that you used more torque so lube contamination may be the contributing factor. If you're a squirrel you may have to consider one of the aftermarket adjusters that many will be offering info on.
KD

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Maybe Boe will let us know if he actually receives his if ordered from Big Bear.
KD

Boe Cole

Quote from: kd on March 29, 2020, 11:57:58 AM
Maybe Boe will let us know if he actually receives his if ordered from Big Bear.

Problems????  I hope not......  While it was south of $70, I really want it more than the $'s.......

Boe Cole

Quote from: kd on March 29, 2020, 11:00:04 AM
Remove the axle and clean all of the grease residue from the washers and swing arm.  Reassemble being careful not to contaminate any of the clamping surfaces. Re-torque the axle fastener to a slightly higher torque.   Folks with the later models in your vintage at least are using  125# without issue and it has cured it for them.  I see that you used more torque so lube contamination may be the contributing factor. If you're a squirrel you may have to consider one of the aftermarket adjusters that many will be offering info on.

That will be done next week when I pull the rear wheel to check bearings.  If in the slightest doubt, I'll have them replaced. 
Bike only has 26k on the clock so they may be nearing end of life.  With no way to clean and repack like the old days I'll just replace them.

Boe Cole

Quote from: kd on March 29, 2020, 11:57:58 AM

Got it today - Ordered Sunday - delivered today - Wednesday.  Looks great - exactly what I wanted.  Won't hesitate to recommend them in the future based on this order.

Boe Cole

Quote from: kd on March 29, 2020, 11:00:04 AM

KD hit the nail on the head.  Took the back wheel off and inspected everything and found all ok but grease contamination where the cams and washers are.  This allowed things to move.  Installed the BigBear axle lock and tightened it down after belt adjustment.  Really made the whole process easy.  Wish I had this all along - it's a great help.  Recommend it to anyone who wants to make the belt adjustment process easy.