May 02, 2024, 05:52:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

tc88 primary and clutch

Started by chas, April 09, 2020, 09:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Anybody have a problem torquing the compensator sprocket and clutch? I go to tighten up and it seems its as far as it will tighten and the wrench doesnt click! Could it be my wrench is toast? Specs for comp sprocket is around 160ft lbs. and the clutch is 50. Any thoughts?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I would try another Torque Wrench. Unless of course you're a Minion, in that case get some friends to help  :smilep:
Tom

PoorUB

Quote from: chas on April 09, 2020, 09:43:57 AM
Anybody have a problem torquing the compensator sprocket and clutch? I go to tighten up and it seems its as far as it will tighten and the wrench doesnt click! Could it be my wrench is toast? Specs for comp sprocket is around 160ft lbs. and the clutch is 50. Any thoughts?

Does your wrench click at 50ftlbs? 75? 100? are you certain you are leaning on the wrench hard enough? 150ftlbs can be a hand full with the bike moving around fighting you.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

Check it in a vice to see if it clicks.  That won't tell you if it's accurate but it will say it clicks.  If you can borrow a known good wrench, torque a nut onto a stud at 50# and try yours.  If it clicks just as it starts to move you know it's close.  The only way to know it's accurate is to send it in for calibration. 
KD

cheech

PoorUB

You can do a so-so calibration if you have a second torque wrench. Connect the two wrenches with sockets and a bolt and nut, and set them to the same torque. then one or two ftlbs higher and lower and try again and see if they click at the same torque. It won't prove they are accurate, but at least they both will agree or not. Chance are if they agree they both are good. I have two clickers and check them this way, a Snap-On and a Proto. Surprisingly, they agree within one ftlb, plus I have had them for years. The one I bought in '78, the other around '85.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

jmorton10

I don't think it has to be super super accurate when you're TQ'ing to 175 ft lbs.

I am using an old 3/4 drive TQ wrench that I bought years ago at Harbor Freight (I used to be a Snap-On tool dealer & all my smaller TQ wrenches are S.O.).  I only use it for compensator bolts & with red locktite I've never had one come loose (& I had to heat the last one to remove it again)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

dynabagger

I do my own calibration. I use some barbell plates and hang them off the handle. There's a set screw in the handle (on mine anyways) for adjustment. Lots of info on the web how to.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R