April 20, 2024, 08:14:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S 551 and 585 cams

Started by scootertrash1, March 30, 2020, 11:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertrash1

What, performance wise, is the difference from 551 and 585 S&S cams in an Ultra classic? More torque?

cheech

Quote from: scootertrash1 on March 30, 2020, 11:12:06 AM
What, performance wise, is the difference from 551 and 585 S&S cams in an Ultra classic? More torque?
What year Ultra?
Any other mods to it?

Baddyna

I have used both. 551 is a great low-midrange cam with great manners. In my opinion perfect for a heavy bike. 585 is a different story. Comes on way too late for  a dresser and needs 10,3 or more comp.  I use 585 in a 110" 10,4:1 FXR great fun 3000-6200

scootertrash1

2010 Ultra with 4 inch S&S big bore making it 110 inch. Ness Big Muff (K&N) breather and S&S Power Tune header pipe.

Ohio HD

As baddyna said, the compression is a crucial part of what cam to use. I doubt the 551 would be of any value to you. The 585 may be too much, maybe look at the 570. But not knowing compression or what the heads are setup for, and riding style, hard to say.

TorQuePimp

S&s bolt on kits are 10.5-1 ish

Not quite enough for a 585
Too much for a 570

Lots of cams in that range
Some significantly better than others

cheech

Quote from: scootertrash1 on March 30, 2020, 02:24:01 PM
2010 Ultra with 4 inch S&S big bore making it 110 inch. Ness Big Muff (K&N) breather and S&S Power Tune header pipe.
I installed the complete S&S 110 Power Package with cylinders, cams, plate, pump and ancillary parts in the kit on a friends 13 Streetglide last winter.
For info sake:
They advertise 10.5:1 ratio.
And they supply the 585 cams with those kits.
It's a whole other can of worms as to if those are indeed the best cams for that combo and ones riding style.
I am with Ohio as far as the 551 would more than likely be detrimental to the combo.

FXDBI

Quote from: cheech on March 30, 2020, 07:40:53 PM
Quote from: scootertrash1 on March 30, 2020, 02:24:01 PM
I installed the complete S&S 110 Power Package with cylinders, cams, plate, pump and ancillary parts in the kit on a friends 13 Streetglide last winter.
For info sake:
They advertise 10.5:1 ratio.
And they supply the 585 cams with those kits.
It's a whole other can of worms as to if those are indeed the best cams for that combo and ones riding style.
I am with Ohio as far as the 551 would more than likely be detrimental to the combo.

Steve from GMR posted he found the 585 had a sweet spot @ 10.7/1 in the 110 kits. Look in the dyno section 120-125 TQ with stock heads and TB.  That's where I set my 110 build it hasn't been on a dyno YET and the heads are not stock, PV tuner with a  FM map, it pulls start to redline. I think a SS 625 would be even more fun with bit more compression in the 110.  This is in a Dyna with my 150lb payload lol.. Bob

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: scootertrash1 on March 30, 2020, 11:12:06 AM

2 completely different cams, and not a big fan of either.
At the OE compression.....Andrews 48 would be an excellent choice.
S&S MR103 would work also.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

551 is a low rpm tq cam (best set @ 9.8-1)ok for baggers but we prefer the 583 for touring builds here,the 585 is more of a higher rpm hot rod cam,(best set @ 10.7-1)

scootertrash1

I ride the Ultra 2,000 miles (one way) to Sturgis about every 3 years anymore and do take about 3,500 (round trip) mile trip somewhere every summer. I live in Florida since retiring and usually ride my Fatboy locally. The road trips can be 1,000 mile days with cruise set at least 80 mph. Bike gets run hard, but always maintained. Running with younger guys, now days, with newer bikes than my 2010, I kind of find that I need to "catch up". We are making the Sturgis run next year and I wanted to look into my motor this winter. With the virus scare going on, I decided now is the time. Don't want a build with a short fuse for the long trips and long days. The heads are stock and I want it to remain that way. I'd like them cleaned up and inspected, grind valves etc. I have not done the crank run out measuring yet, but maybe this week yet. It will be done. If out of spec, it will be corrected. I like the idea of the gear drive cams, but something with mid to low end grunt. I really don't want a set of cams that come on at high revs and of course the bump from 96 to 110. Last time I did a build was on my 1996 EVO, so I may have a question or 2 on these newfangled Twin Cams! Thanks!

Ohio HD

Go to the dyno section and search 110 stock heads you'll see what to expect and what was used. Stay away from gear drive cams unless you're planning to rework or replace the crank.

Yo_Boss

Quote from: TorQuePimp on March 30, 2020, 04:30:37 PM
S&s bolt on kits are 10.5-1 ish

Not quite enough for a 585
Too much for a 570

Lots of cams in that range
Some significantly better than others

Perfect for SE 585 cam

prodrag1320

Quote from: scootertrash1 on March 31, 2020, 08:14:44 AM
I ride the Ultra 2,000 miles (one way) to Sturgis about every 3 years anymore and do take about 3,500 (round trip) mile trip somewhere every summer. I live in Florida since retiring and usually ride my Fatboy locally. The road trips can be 1,000 mile days with cruise set at least 80 mph. Bike gets run hard, but always maintained. Running with younger guys, now days, with newer bikes than my 2010, I kind of find that I need to "catch up". We are making the Sturgis run next year and I wanted to look into my motor this winter. With the virus scare going on, I decided now is the time. Don't want a build with a short fuse for the long trips and long days. The heads are stock and I want it to remain that way. I'd like them cleaned up and inspected, grind valves etc. I have not done the crank run out measuring yet, but maybe this week yet. It will be done. If out of spec, it will be corrected. I like the idea of the gear drive cams, but something with mid to low end grunt. I really don't want a set of cams that come on at high revs and of course the bump from 96 to 110. Last time I did a build was on my 1996 EVO, so I may have a question or 2 on these newfangled Twin Cams! Thanks!

for reliabilty & long trips,ide go 107 over a drop in 110 kit (spigots are too thin,IMO).if you really want to go 110,ide use 110 CVO cylinders & bore the cases

autoworker

Plenty of quality cams to choose from besides S&S.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

FLFBRider

For what its worth.

I have an 09' Fatboy 96ci with Rinehart 3" slipons, AN Big sucker intake, S&S 551 cams, Fueling HP+ lifters, S&S solid pushrods, all else is stock.

It runs STRONG down low and through its mid range. I don't have a tach so I can't say for sure when it tapers off. The exhaust has a really nice "lope" at idle. The exhaust note is louder and deeper now.

I don't run the bike hard. I do however like to roll on the throttle pretty hard at times. It really woke the bike up and it's way more fun to ride now.

PBSTN

I just installed s&s 551 easy starts last week on my 2010 96" road king. Low end and mid range is great. Idle sounds better too.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.