April 17, 2024, 05:47:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Weird Canbus issue

Started by IronButt70, March 30, 2020, 01:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronButt70

I'm riding home today and I noticed the check engine light is on. I look down later and light is off. Does this I don't know how many times because I'm trying to pay attention to the road. Later on the red alarm light comes on and my speedo and tach quit working. 5 seconds later light goes out and speedo/tach are working again. Does that 2 more times that I saw. PV shows a Canbus error but no numbers or any other info. Running diagnostics on bike show no error codes. Anyone have any ideas about what all that might be about? Checked all the plugs under the speedo. All clean and tight. Battery cables same.  :wtf:
17 FLSTC
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Check the Connector for cleanliness, corrosion, etc and seat back firmly.
Tom

Hossamania

Mine wasn't canbus but did much the same, it was overcharging, 19 volts going to the battery, replaced the regulator, all good.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

He has a canbus error.  He needs to check the bus wiring especially the connectors. Start with the bcm connector

IronButt70

March 31, 2020, 01:05:26 PM #4 Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 01:40:20 PM by IronButt70
Pretty sure I found the problem and it goes back to the dealer who worked on the bike after the accident 12/18. The rubber ring on the BCM plug was not fully seated when it was plugged back in. Didn't see any moisture or corrosion damage. Cleaned all the contacts and put it back together like it should have been done in the first place. They also left the alarm siren harness plug just hanging instead of pushing it back into the dummy plug. It was full of dirt and mud. I was already unhappy with some of the stuff they did/didn't do after the accident. This was the last straw. They will never see my bike again. Can't test ride it until tomorrow but I think all will be good. Started it up on the lift and all the lights were out.

IronButt70

April 02, 2020, 05:56:08 AM #5 Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:25:33 PM by IronButt70
Rode 200 miles yesterday. No more check engine or alarm lights.  :bike: