April 24, 2024, 03:10:11 AM

News:

2017 Road King tire and rotors.

Started by JYHD1, March 30, 2020, 01:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JYHD1

I'm needing a new front tire on our 17' Road King and want to go with the Dunlop American Elite series this time. The D407 rear is still real good so I don't want to replace it but the dealership is hesitant to mix tread patterns. I realize that matching tires would be the best way to go but am wondering if anyone out there has ever had any problems from mixing the 2.

I also want to replace the warped rotors when getting the new front tire. Right off the showroom floor I had a pulsation in the front brake lever and trying to pull to a smooth stop using the front brake results in more of a jerking stop than smooth. The dealership checked the rotors for run out and found they were both out .007. Even though HD considers that within spec the dealership offered to replace them as a gesture of goodwill. Problem was that the (6) they had in stock were all out just about as bad. So I definitely am not going to replace them with stock and take a chance on spending $650 for rotors, pads, fasteners, and labor to have them be just as bad as what I already have with HD saying "oh, well, they're within spec". I have found that after market rotors run anywhere from $125 a set - over $500 a set. So I am looking for some advice from someone with experience with various replacement rotors as to go with without breaking the bank. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice. 

kd

I have the Harley full floating rotors out of their catalogue.  They are smooth, work well and Easy on the pocket book.
KD

JYHD1

Thank you for the info, yes, they are quite reasonably priced. My worry is that with HD's acceptable tolerances I could end up with another set of rotors as bad as what mine were when new and no recourse. I realize that my rotors being that far out when new were probably an exception but my concerns are also fueled by the fact that the (6) the dealership had in stock were also out .005-.006. Since these are a different rotor than the stock ones maybe the manufacturer did a better job though.

It does give me some to consider and maybe I can get the dealership to agree that if they aren't 100% better than what I have then they can pull them right back off and not charge me. (yeah, right !)

Thanks !

PoorUB

You will never notice any difference running two different tires front and back, as long as they are both bias ply or both radials, even then you might not notice. Anyone that  tells you it will be a problem, especially on a fat Harley they are just jerking your chain! I have mixed the OEM Dunlops and some other tire on every Harley I have owned. I never noticed any problem.

As for rotors, I am on my third set of front rotors on my 2016 Limited. the OEM rotors made it about 15,000 miles, then I put on a set of Gaffers that made it another 15K and just put on a set of EBC rotors so not enough miles to tell. I am hard on font rotors, never had a set of rotors run much more than 15,000 miles until the warp.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

The idea behind floating rotors is they have room to do just that, float.  For example, a hot rotor from heavy braking can warp because the friction area is scorching hot and the rest isn't.  The difference in expansion (uneven) will cause short term warping.  You know what that causes.
KD

PoorUB

Yes, I know what causes it, I just would like to know how to stop it. The front rotors on the 2014+ bikes are already floaters. They have a bushing with a wave spring. On my 2005 and 2010 I ran the Harley floaters and they seemed to last.

I have been riding various brands since I was a kid and never had issues with warped rotors until I bought a Harley!

kd

My Harley floaters have been fine but I'll be the first to admit there are many that ride harder than me.  I have given them a workout a few times though.
KD

fleetmechanic

March 30, 2020, 06:05:39 PM #7 Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:10:42 PM by fleetmechanic
On our police models that all come with D407s and 408s originally we replace each worn one with an AE.  No problems with the matchup.  We do have one '16 that got a loose front disc because the wave washers failed.  The rotors are thin with lots of air space and if you barely touch one with a tire iron while changing tires it could be warped.

Finn

Quote from: fleetmechanic on March 30, 2020, 06:05:39 PM...we replace each worn one with an AE...
May I inquire what sort of mileage do you get front/rear from American Elites?
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

motorhogman

I've been running Michelin Commander II on the rear and Dunlop D402 front for a couple of years now before that, Elite rear, years ago the old Metzler 880 on rear and always run the D402 front. Never noticed any difference. 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Boe Cole

Had to replace one of my front rotors due to me being less than gentle putting the wheel in the back of my suv to take to the indy for a new tire.  Don't recall how much it was out but it was not much but noticeable when braking.  Replaced with a oem and have put about 10k on the clock with no noticeable warpage.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

fleetmechanic

March 31, 2020, 09:02:30 AM #11 Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 03:56:30 PM by fleetmechanic
Quote from: Finn on March 31, 2020, 02:12:08 AM
Quote from: fleetmechanic on March 30, 2020, 06:05:39 PM...we replace each worn one with an AE...
May I inquire what sort of mileage do you get front/rear from American Elites?
We've gotten about 15K miles on the rears and almost 18K on the fronts.  About the same life as the OEM versions at a significantly lower price.

Finn

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Boe Cole

Have the American Elites on my bike - best tires I've ever put on it.  Been through factory Dunlops and Michelins.  Bike is a 2011RGU.  Have confidence that I did not have with the Michelines or Dunlops - seem sticker but appear to be wearing like a harder tire.  When they wear out - Ill replace them with more Elites.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

JYHD1

Thanks for the info, I'm going to go with the American Elite on the front until I need the rear tire replaced, then I'll go American Elite on the back also. Decided to go with the HD floating rotors and have all the required parts on order now.

PoorUB

I get about 18,000 miles on a rear American Elite, fronts about 28,000 miles, but I often change them sooner. Sometimes I replace the front when I replace the back just because I have the tire machine set up and am in the mod to do it.

JYHD1

I think a combination of the coarse asphalt roads here in Central Arkansas and that the wife always rides with me causes a lot faster tire wear for us. With just over 10,000 miles on our Road King the front tire is within 1/32 of the wear bars and the rear still has 5/32 tread left. Usually it was always the other way around.