Not my first lifter cuff bolt, but still my first

Started by les, March 30, 2020, 03:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

QuoteI have never liked the dry patch loc-tite that comes on many of Harley's replacement bolts. I always wire wheel that stuff off and use liquid blue or red depending on what is called for.

:agree: 

les

Quote from: Hossamania on April 01, 2020, 09:58:29 AM
Is it a case of galling as much as the the threadlocker?

I got the rear bolt out, but had to work it back and forth.  The front bolt broke even with working it back and forth.  I will tell you that both thread holes look in great shape.

les

The OEM bolt next to the S&S bolt that comes with their S&S lifter cuffs kit.

kd

I can see all of the MOCO execs sitting around that big table laughing away saying " don't worry about that 12 cent manifold problem, we'll make an aluminum one and sell it to the like we did with the different SE compensators.  What a pile of crap.   
KD

cheech

Quote from: les on April 02, 2020, 07:10:53 PM
The OEM bolt next to the S&S bolt that comes with their S&S lifter cuffs kit.
Grade 8  :up: :up:

les

I just talked to the owner of the 2017 I had this trouble with.  He told me that the master mechanic at a local dealership told him that H-D stopped using the thread locker they were using on the 2017's because of the trouble they were having.  I can tell you that almost every 1/4" bolt just didn't feel right.  As part of my job, I was replacing OEM bolts with a black bolt kit he provided me.  Bolts like the tranny top cover and the lifter block cover bolts, some I had to work back and forth for them to give way.

Rokinrider

Fuel Moto has instructions, maybe a video, warming up underneath the lifter cuffs with a heat gun. I did it and just slight pressure, my 2017 lifter cuff bolts slid right out!
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?

les

So, it looks like you're supposed to hold the lifters up with the horseshoe magnets, gut the cam chest, take the lifters out from the bottom, then heat?  I'll do that next time and also hit it with some flame from the top at the same time.  I never want to go through one of those bolt extractions again if I can at all possibly avoid it.