March 28, 2024, 03:58:41 AM

News:

Ironhead bobbed rear fender

Started by sharkoilfield, March 31, 2020, 10:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

[attach=0]
By the looks of the crease following the rear edge around, this appears to be a "stock" rear fender on this old ironhead racer, not simply sawn off. Can anyone ID?

JW113

Can't be sure, but looks like an early Sportster Iron fender...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

Fill the holes in the fender then rotate it forward re-drill mounting holes and cut off the front.

You can also use a wider fender the relocate the struts to the outside of the frame.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

sharkoilfield

Thanks for the replies.
I'm certain this is a period correct piece; the Iron's fender ends without the rib going around and would be huge on an old XLCH
As for rolling, trimming and filling; I remember Wide Glide rear fenders originated that way but most fenders were just chopped.
The pic is from a collection of period correct Ironheads; I'll have to try and find a backstory. Around a '59 I think...
Enclosed is a pic of the 1974 fender
[attach=0]

Burnout

Wasn't one of the old school tricks to use a FL front fender?

Racepres

Quote from: Burnout on April 01, 2020, 08:47:25 AM
Wasn't one of the old school tricks to use a FL front fender?
Old School!!!! LOL
still being done tho!!! No Matter the Expense... Looks is ???? everything I guess..
Look how many FXWG rear fenders are out there!!! Prolly twice as many as there ever were FXWG's!!!!

sharkoilfield

In my refurbishment of this old bike, I'd like to build it as I would have if I owned it in 1974 (instead of my much cheaper BSA 650) BUT not do anything irreversible.
I intend on having the motor/trans gone thru next winter by a very qualified friend.
In the meantime; it's attention to details that will make me happy. Can't wait to take it out on the road; under a lot of snow up here yet

Racepres

April 02, 2020, 06:47:54 AM #7 Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:56:29 AM by Racepres
Quote from: sharkoilfield on April 01, 2020, 04:34:20 PM
In my refurbishment of this old bike, I'd like to build it as I would have if I owned it in 1974 (instead of my much cheaper BSA 650) BUT not do anything irreversible.
I intend on having the motor/trans gone thru next winter by a very qualified friend.
In the meantime; it's attention to details that will make me happy. Can't wait to take it out on the road; under a lot of snow up here yet
In '74???? just get the Hacksaw out... Done....Unless yer Arlen Ness... then... was it me, I always wanted a Real Digger

I'm Even still sitting on a Start

sharkoilfield

A Durfee girder and a pair of Invader wheels? You do have a good start!  Will be a very cool bike; but not one for my old carcass to ride very far.  Roads up here in N Alberta would hurt even more than a stock 1974 suspension is going to. 

JW113

Yep, been there done that. Although it made an awesome piece of garage furniture, I had to part with mine a few years ago to make space in the garage for something that I would/could actually ride around. CA roads with no suspension and next to no brakes, not a winning combination.

-JW

[attach=0]

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on April 02, 2020, 08:43:43 AM
Yep, been there done that. Although it made an awesome piece of garage furniture, I had to part with mine a few years ago to make space in the garage for something that I would/could actually ride around. CA roads with no suspension and next to no brakes, not a winning combination.

-JW

[attach=0,msg1340272]

Cool... but I want a Digger... Not a Chopper... Longer... Lower... found a neat Coffin to use also!!
Oddly the Transmission is good and the Engine is bad!!!!!

JW113

Check that. Something like Syd DeSoto's Magic Pan, only Ironhead powered?

-JW

[attach=0]

Burnout

Quote from: Racepres on April 02, 2020, 11:00:45 AM

Heh! Usually it's one or the other.
Both if it's really bad!
Last one I bought had a bad motor bad trans and bad frame!   :angry:
Motor was not assembled and the frame did not appear bent.
Did not discover it until I tried to install the rebuilt motor into the freshly powdercoated frame.
The front rocker box hit the frame, bad.
I broke even on that except for the powder coating selling the bent frame with title.

Racepres

Quote from: Burnout on April 02, 2020, 02:27:06 PM
Quote from: Racepres on April 02, 2020, 11:00:45 AM

Heh! Usually it's one or the other.
Both if it's really bad!
Last one I bought had a bad motor bad trans and bad frame!   :angry:
Motor was not assembled and the frame did not appear bent.
Did not discover it until I tried to install the rebuilt motor into the freshly powdercoated frame.
The front rocker box hit the frame, bad.
I broke even on that except for the powder coating selling the bent frame with title.
I can Empathize.. but, Luckily I dislike Powder Coat intensely... so....
I was taught to Mock everything together before making anything pretty....