April 16, 2024, 04:36:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S Grand Nationals

Started by scott7d, March 31, 2020, 10:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott7d

I just purchased a 2020 CVO Road Glide. I am looking into V&H Power duals paired with S&S Grand Nationals. I like the idea of the dB reducer as I want to be able to hear the radio and my passenger. I don't need to be "that guy" and draw attention with my exhaust.

I was a performance junky with my last bike and want to be more practical with this bike since I ride 25,000-30,000 miles a year. However; I don't want an exhaust system that causes a big torque dip off idle into the sweet spot of the cruising range.

Can anyone provide feedback on this combo? Thank you!
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

FLSTFIDave

I'm not sure how that combination works on the M8 motor.  I like really like the Fullsac MX headpipe and the Fullsac baffles with the tech mat on the CVO M8 bikes.  Brings the torque up, a little more sound depending on baffle 1.75, 2,00 or 2.25.  The 2.0 seem to give the most torque and are louder than stock but mellow at cruise.  I have run the 2.25 on my last two M8 bikes, and can do 800 miles days with them, very mellow at 80 mph, but sound good when you get on it. 
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

lucasg

Like Dave said;  Steve at Fullsac has put together some really nice pipes for these bikes.  I don't have any experience with the M8 bikes, but I can honestly say that his stuff works period.  Also, his customer service and follow up after the sale is excellent.  Go over to the CVO forums...lots of praise over there for him and his products.

Good luck...

smokein

My 19 RGS still has the stock head pipes, but I can assure u that with the DB inserts in place, u will not be loud. FWIW I decided to take them out one time and took a 600 mile trip and put them back in immediately once I got home. The low end power loss was obvious with them out. Also, not all baffles are the same, the GN are louvered and spiral with a 4" can, like the old fat cat, where as the MK45's are perforated and come in a 4.5" can.

I know you didn't ask for the comparison but I often see those two used interchangeably when discussed and it's not really accurate.

sAs

I have that same set up on my 17 RG with the 124 kit. From my experience, it is a very good set up. I left DB inserts in and like the sound and low end. Cruising and light throttle sound mellow, hammer it and it sounds better.

scott7d

I appreciate the feedback. I had a Fullsac DX headpipe on a 113" build a while back and he indeed does make a great product.

After getting feedback from my tuner, I decided to go with this combo. He was a fan of running these slip ons with the dB reducers in.

Chippitt68

Quote from: smokein on April 01, 2020, 11:25:08 AM
My 19 RGS still has the stock head pipes, but I can assure u that with the DB inserts in place, u will not be loud. FWIW I decided to take them out one time and took a 600 mile trip and put them back in immediately once I got home. The low end power loss was obvious with them out. Also, not all baffles are the same, the GN are louvered and spiral with a 4" can, like the old fat cat, where as the MK45's are perforated and come in a 4.5" can.

I know you didn't ask for the comparison but I often see those two used interchangeably when discussed and it's not really accurate.

This was my experience as well. Noticed much less low end with dB reducers out. I'll add that to get them out, I had to remove the mufflers and tap them out from the inlet side. The end caps are tight. When I put them back on, I was able to remove the end cap by gently prying between the end cap and baffle. I cleaned both surfaces and sparingly applied high temp anti seize I case I ever need to remove them. I doubt I will.

scott7d

The combo feels great even with the factory/EPA tune. I had a Road King with 142hp before this bike, so almost every Harley I hop on feels slow to me. With that said, these 117" motors out of the gate feel smooth and get down the road fine, especially the low/mid range with this combo. I rarely dip under 2500rpm for anything except for coming off idle, but it still pulls back up fine when I do. As far as volume, it is right on par with the stock system but a little deeper. I didn't want to be loud in order to hear music and hear my passenger. I like to keep looking ahead while we point out things and chat about the scenery. I can do that with this exhaust.

When I am not worried about the warranty, I'll add a CR-480 cam and get it tuned. I again appreciate everyone's feedback.