March 28, 2024, 12:20:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

14.25" rear shocks with lower front end?

Started by andyxlh, April 01, 2020, 02:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyxlh

Hello all
Looking at shocks for the cafe racer project.
I can get 14.25" rears and have a 2" lowering front end. Has anyone done this? I realise it will change the rake, I do want to have a bike that turns in nicely.
Stock 16" rear and 19" front rims
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

PC_Hater

Andy,
That excel spreadsheet I uploaded will let you calculate exactly what the rake and trail and lean angle will become when you fit longer shocks and a shorter front end.

It will take a bit of faffing to get the hang of that spreadsheet!
Ed Svitil did a great job on it.

The standard rake and trail on a Sportster is so large compared to a Ducati or whatever that you should be able to fit surprisingly long shocks with a surprisingly short front end before it gets 'dangerous' because of a very short trail.

If the spreadsheet gives you a headache then:-
do the front end first and see how you like it, then fit make a pair of adjustable struts that you can lengthen and try out the results on a nice smooth road before deciding on the exact shock length.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

andyxlh

Thank you! It's not so much the calculation, more the meaning of the number at the end! What's it feel like? I'm used to a stock sportster setup, I don't want something too twitchy.
2" lower front with 2" over fork tubes allows me to mount the clip ons above the trees. I'm thinking of putting the ignition lock into the hole from the risers so I can relocate the coil.
The shocks come in 13", 13.75" and 14.25"
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

speedzter

PC_Hater

Did you ever have a go on a Buell?
I did, too twitchy for me!

How do the rake and train figures you get compare to other bikes?
I think 26 degrees and 3 inches of trail would be too twitchy for me, whereas I know from my FLTRI that 26 degrees and 6 inches of trail is not twitchy at all!

Racepres

Quote from: PC_Hater on April 02, 2020, 12:54:38 AM
Did you ever have a go on a Buell?
I did, too twitchy for me!

How do the rake and train figures you get compare to other bikes?
I think 26 degrees and 3 inches of trail would be too twitchy for me, whereas I know from my FLTRI that 26 degrees and 6 inches of trail is not twitchy at all!
Rake is really Not something very easily Changed, as the Frame provides a given Rake [not effective rake tho]... But Trail is adjustable via changes to affect the Measured Rake [Not the Rake of the Frame].. ie Forks and Shocks
More Trail equals more Stability [at speed], at the cost of Maneuverability [ie Heavy Steering!!]

PC_Hater

I would say more rake gives you heavy steering at low speed.
My FLTRI steers really nicely at low speed.
Better than my Sportster with 30 degree rake and definitely better than my chop with about 40 degree rake!

Racepres

Quote from: PC_Hater on April 04, 2020, 03:17:35 AM
I would say more rake gives you heavy steering at low speed.
My FLTRI steers really nicely at low speed.
Better than my Sportster with 30 degree rake and definitely better than my chop with about 40 degree rake!
LOL
Look at yer Tree to Neck interface on yer Touring Bike.... That Bass ackwards tree is why they do Not feel as heavy as even an old SuperGlide...  I almost dropped my Jaw first time I "lifted" one and the Damn Front end "Self Centered"!!!!
Very Different set up to say the least...and Prolly best Not to Fool With that Geometry!!!!

andyxlh

Ok I'm going to measure free play and see what fits, 13.75 will be the choice of they fit I think