March 28, 2024, 09:35:23 AM

News:

Plastic Intake Manifold ???

Started by sandrooney, April 01, 2020, 04:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

I have 2018 Heritage 114 and was searching around and ran across where some of these plastic manifolds were melting and warping. Anybody hear of this? How long have they been using plastic?
Thanks,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

rbabos

Quote from: sandrooney on April 01, 2020, 04:25:06 AM
I have 2018 Heritage 114 and was searching around and ran across where some of these plastic manifolds were melting and warping. Anybody hear of this? How long have they been using plastic?
Thanks,
SR
Plastic and high heat. What could possibly go wrong with that? :hyst: Liquid cooled, might be fine but air cooled, not the brightest design concept.
Ron

sandrooney

rigidthumper

They conveniently offer this for if/when the plastic one fails.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

harttoo

They started with 2017 for Harley.They have been on cars and bikes since 1994. The only failure that I have heard about was a false warranty claim.

cheech

Quote from: sandrooney on April 01, 2020, 04:25:06 AM
Thanks,
SR
Pirsch on here seen one personally.
In This Thread

sandrooney

Thanks. My bike runs great and I hate to change something out just because. You know "if it ain't broke".

Thanks again

HV

We had one M8 that continued to over heat all the time...we found the plastic manifold had deformed and was letting air past the intake Manifold seals ...a new Metal one fixed it
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

sandrooney

My bike doesn't seem to run hot. A whole lot cooler than my past TC's. I hope it will be ok. Thanks

Hossamania

At least now you you know to keep an eye on it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

HV

If you ever have one off....make sure you check the fit of the seal on the manifold spigot ...the plastic one had no drag on the seal at all...the new one had a nice drag on the seal
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

sandrooney

If I ever have it off I will replace it with the metal one. Are the plastic ones more apt to leak?

Thanks a lot

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Harley-Davidson in a Dealer Communication suggests all Models use the Heat Management Systems to avoid damage to the Polycarbonate

Intake Manifolds and "some" and "some" MAP Sensors show signs of damage from excessive heat.

Several claims where riders were operating their Motorcycles on Day's where the ambient temperature exceeds 90F AND Stopped Traffic for extended periods WITHOUT the HMS enabled, has resulted in some claims.

Those claims are covered under Warranty and will be replaced with OE Manifolds. Harley-Davidson suggest customers who experience this problem use the Screamin' Eagle Aluminum Intakes which dissipate heat more readily. Labor will be covered under Warranty (First Two Year / Extended ONLY).
Tom

sandrooney

Thanks for the info. I am not going to worry about it. My EITMS is enabled and where I live there isn't a whole lot of chances to get stuck in a lot of traffic. If I have to wait more than 30 seconds at the only stop sign in town that's a traffic jam.

Thanks again

To The Max

Quote from: sandrooney on April 02, 2020, 12:47:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I am not going to worry about it. My EITMS is enabled and where I live there isn't a whole lot of chances to get stuck in a lot of traffic. If I have to wait more than 30 seconds at the only stop sign in town that's a traffic jam.

Thanks again
Your luckey :chop: Max

Deye76

Plastic manifolds, LOL, I thought they would have learned a lesson with those rubber compliance fittings on Evo manifolds. Aftermarket loves this sh%t.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

BigT

Quote from: Deye76 on April 02, 2020, 04:21:35 PM
Plastic manifolds, LOL, I thought they would have learned a lesson with those rubber compliance fittings on Evo manifolds. Aftermarket loves this sh%t.
Aftermarket? Harley sells the aluminum manifold as a SE product that should have been installed in the 1st place.

Hossamania

Plastic manifold, 12 cents.
Aluminum manifold, 3 dollars.
All decisions are economic.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

sandrooney

I don't care if it's plastic as long as it works.

Deye76

Quote from: BigT on April 02, 2020, 06:59:43 PM
Quote from: Deye76 on April 02, 2020, 04:21:35 PM
Aftermarket? Harley sells the aluminum manifold as a SE product that should have been installed in the 1st place.

:up: Harley's aftermarket  :wink:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP