April 24, 2024, 09:12:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stock vs Modern

Started by Roadwhimp, April 02, 2020, 05:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadwhimp

Ok, so I am in the middle of a restoration of a 1966 FL.  I have many of the original parts.  I am currently rebuilding the engine and want to replace the lifters and blocks.  Just looking for some opinions about trying to stay true to the stock look.  I can get cheaper knock offs like Sifton which will look stock or I have a deal on Jims blocks and lifter kits which will be noticeable.  I was trying to stay with American made products for this build but it is getting difficult.  I see a lot of so called original old bikes but how far is too far going with aftermarket when restoring on a budget?   I guess I'm asking how much of a purist would you be?

Racepres

Lifter blocks are an easy hone to fit New [oversize] Lifters... Job Done

Reddog74usa

Restoring on a budget is still very pricey. I just restored my 68 FLH and couldn't believe how much I had in it when I was done. I highly recommend buying OEM when you can as the taiwan stuff has gotten so bad it's actually a waste of money to buy it. In one week I had to return 6 items, some were actually OEM but the sellers were less than honest in their descriptions. I replaced my solid lifters with Velva Touch, a great made in USA product but very very pricey. Best of luck to you in your build.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

RTMike

Velvet touch are the way to go ,if your budget is small and your original lifter blocks are still in fair shape no cracked or broken corners.Have them honed out for oversized cam followers,Jim's has a couple of different sizes.

JW113

Do the tappet blocks need replacing? They are cast iron, can't imagine they are wore beyond usable service unless somebody put gobs and gobs of miles on it. Which was not so common thing to do with shovelheads. If you're bound and determined to replace, surf ebay for a set of good used parts? Or con somebody out of their stock parts who upgraded to Velva's?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

SP33DY

Unless the lifter blocks have broken out bolt holes or broken off guide skirts, they can probably be saved. Honing them oversize is a quick and easy job. Oversize tappets are available up to 0.040" over.

Buglet

S&S makes good stock oversize stock replacements, they look stock and they work excellent. Years ago I use to use Velva Touch and Jims now its S&S when doing a restro job. 

Roadwhimp

Thanks for all the posts.  I guess I should have mentioned  the old lifter blocks were a hack job from previous owner.  One chrome one black too many unknowns.  Thought I'd start fresh.  I thought about Velva touch; the guy that bought them out is a friend of mine.  They are a bit pricey though. 

Buglet

Vulcan make a nice complete set with blocks reasonable price. I used those with no problems.

Reddog74usa

Watch the Vulcan set up as they found some serious defects in them. There is a post about it on the Shovelhead USA site. I did run them with no issues but didn't go that route with my 68 after I found out about the flaws. After dealing with more defects than I could count with off shore made parts I stepped up n bought the Velvas from Dave. Good people and MADE IN USA. I would have gone with S&S but there also making stuff off shore now and didn't want to take the chance as I have actually  had to build the bike like three times due to removing brand new parts that were very poor quality only to install made in USA stuff to get it right. The offshore manufacturers are not even trying to put out anything that would even be considered mid grade.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Burnout

I'd throw the chrome one in the parts bin and find a painted replacement.
What you put inside it is not as important because you can't see it.
That is early stuff and should be Iron? Yes?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

Or scuff it up and paint both wrinkle black?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber