April 19, 2024, 01:42:39 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear Shock Fluid - Touring Bike

Started by Boe Cole, April 02, 2020, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boe Cole

When working on my bike (2011 RGU) last night, I removed the shocks to get better access to the rear wheel.   Long story short - one of the shocks fell from its upright position where I put it knowing that they leak of not kept upright.  When i realized it had fallen over, it was too late - fluid on the floor - not much but enough to make me want to 1) either replace the fluid, or 2) buy some new aftermarket shocks.

1) I have no idea what kind of oil goes in the shocks or how much.  Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.  I have not had any problems with the stock shocks but there may be better aftermarket shocks out there - i just don't know what is a good replacement from a cost effective point would be.

2) Replacement suggestions would be appreciated as well.  I really don't want to go much over $600 and less is better.

Suggestions????

Thanks,
Boe
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

PoorUB

April 02, 2020, 02:17:44 PM #1 Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 07:43:25 PM by Coyote
This might help,

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,22777.0.html

but I see Photobucket killed the picture. I took a pint canning jar and soldered a couple pieces of 1/4" copper tubing through the lid, one just into, the other all the way to the bottom of the jar. Replaced the quick release fitting in the shock with a hose barb, Connected some vinyl tubing between the shock, jar and Mitey-Vac, hung the shock up side down and used my Mitey-Vac to draw the old fluid out, and then clamped of the line, dumped out the jar and filled with the proper amount of oil. Released the clamp on the line going to the shock and the vacuum in the shock sucked the oil into the shock. To bad the pics are gone, they told the story better than words can.

I found the pics!

[attach=0,msg1340323]

[attach=1,msg1340323]
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

Quote from: PoorUB on April 02, 2020, 02:17:44 PM
This might help,

but I see Photobucket killed the picture. I took a pint canning jar and soldered a couple pieces of 1/4" copper tubing through the lid, one just into, the other all the way to the bottom of the jar. Replaced the quick release fitting in the shock with a hose barb, Connected some vinyl tubing between the shock, jar and Mitey-Vac, hung the shock up side down and used my Mitey-Vac to draw the old fluid out, and then clamped of the line, dumped out the jar and filled with the proper amount of oil. Released the clamp on the line going to the shock and the vacuum in the shock sucked the oil into the shock. To bad the pics are gone, they told the story better than words can.

PUB, I restored the pics to your thread.

Boe Cole

Quote from: Coyote on April 02, 2020, 02:25:06 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on April 02, 2020, 02:17:44 PM
This might help,

PUB, I restored the pics to your thread.

Thank you Coyote!!!  Will give this a shot and report back.

PoorUB

thanks, then I found them on my hard drive too!

smoserx1

April 02, 2020, 06:02:28 PM #5 Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:21:54 PM by smoserx1
It looks from PUB's pics that the amount of fluid is about 3/4 of a pint.  In all honesty if you just lost a little I probably would not worry about it.  I am still riding around on shocks that are 21 years old and have 214000 miles on them (surely they are shot by now).  FWIW, the first time I took my bike in for front fork service the dealer completely forgot to fill the left side leg and I went 2 years  without even noticing it, so I doubt a minuscule loss in one of the rears would be noticeable.  If you can live with stock touring shocks there are tons of them on eBay dirt cheap, but who knows if they have all their oil.

02roadcling

The old trick on here over the years has been to fill it close (I think with 7 weight), then gently sit on it and the oil will drain out, then get off the bike and button it up.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

mkd

April 03, 2020, 09:02:45 AM #7 Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 03:38:56 PM by mkd
i drained my 05 shocks by unbolting them one at a time and draining it completely dry in a catch pan and then measuring how much fluid i had. i then filled the shock with fresh oil by attaching a fitting to the shock port and a piece of hose with a funnel at the top. the trick is to pour a small amount into the funnel and hose and then gently burp the air out of the shock by working it a small amount. the trick is to burp the air out without spilling the fluid !that's the purpose of the funnel, what air burps out the port does not have you loosing fluid. i used belray 7 1/2 fork oil. i tried to stiffen the dampening up a bit because we rode two up and i am a bigger guy. if i did it again i would use 10 weight. once one shock is done i mounted and connected it back up and then done the other side. i did the first change at 60,000! had i known how easy it was i would have done it sooner. also used a hand vacumn pump to change out the front fork fluid without taking the faring apart.

cheech

PUB method seems cool and easy.
I'd like to throw out there a big syringe might do the trick also to refill or top off while on the bike.

PoorUB

Seriously, the method I used was fast and simple. It didn't take more than a couple minutes per shock. Like I said in the post, it took more time to solder up the tubing in the jar lid than to change oil in the shocks.

Bigs

12 oz of Amsoil Light(10wt) Shock Therapy seems to work a little better than lighter 7 1/2wt. oil.
   Bigs

Boe Cole

While waiting for someone to open so i can get some oil, i reattached the airlines to the shocks and found the fitting on the shock leaks air :banghead:

Thank goodness Ronnie's is still taking orders.  Ordered Sunday but with the virus in full blown status right now, I can only guess when the fittings will arrive.  In the overall scheme of things - their health is more important than my ride - stay safe and healthy everyone.