Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Quote from: Dan89flstc on April 05, 2020, 06:53:28 AM

Sorry so cranky...I revised my post.

:up:

We're all getting cabin fever I think.   

HogMike

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 05, 2020, 12:02:19 AM
Use a cap type filter wrench & drill 3-4 holes equally spaced through the cap wrench & into the filter. Use sheet metal screws to join the wrench to the filter  :up:

I have a few different styles of wrenches for removing filters.
Depends on the model bike.
On the new cvo's there's a VR plug in the way along with other various parts . It's a tight fit to get it from the end but doable.
I have a smaller diameter filter on one of my bikes and have the gearwrench to fit that.
Sometimes the nut on k&n filters get stripped and you can't use the cap wrench style to get it off.
I think we have all had issues with them being over tightened at one tome or another.
I agree sometimes that the past mechanics probably used their 1/2" impact driver to install one!
Just my 2cents
:smiled:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Tollbooth

I use a strap wrench with a wrap of rough emery around the strap. The tighter the wrench gets, the more the sandpaper bites into the filter.

kd

Lot's of great suggestions here.  The best is to move the filter to a better (smarter) position.  There's no rocket science here.  Make it easy and cleaner.  The MOCO could do that easily but would lose out on all of the $ervicing dollar$ they get from frustrated owners that could otherwise do their own oil changes.
KD

Tynker

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 04, 2020, 06:10:27 PM
The dipstick situation is resolved. It seems that when you drain the primary there's still oil on the engine oil dipstick.  :embarrassed: I can't believe I did that. Maybe time for the old folks home. Oh well, the primary needed changing anyway.

Thanks for the tips on the filter. I don't think have a strap type wrench, but I'll check. I have plenty of time, since we're in for a week of rainy weather.

I have a metal oil filter removable tool(like a large socket) https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-65MM-14Flute-Oil-Filter-Cap-Wrench-Tool-07AAA-PLCA100-Fit-For-HONDA-ACURA/401602232861?hash=item5d815bc21d:g:RUMAAOSwcR9bo8VeI drilled a small hole in it and i put it on the filter,then use a small 1/8" sheet metal screw, through wrench and into the filter. Then using a long extension and ratchet the filter will come off, no problem.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Hossamania

Use a cap type filter wrench & drill 3-4 holes equally spaced through the cap wrench & into the filter. Use sheet metal screws to join the wrench to the filter  :up:

I like that idea!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

BJB

Quote from: kd on April 05, 2020, 07:50:41 AM
Lot's of great suggestions here.  The best is to move the filter to a better (smarter) position.  There's no rocket science here.  Make it easy and cleaner.  The MOCO could do that easily but would lose out on all of the $ervicing dollar$ they get from frustrated owners that could otherwise do their own oil changes.

Absolutely.
I've done this on both my Dyna and Geezer Glide.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 05, 2020, 06:18:14 AM
Jim has a 2015 TC touring bike. Most of those posted, including myself know that.
Thanks Ohio. Specifically a RK. I sometimes forget to list it. Sorry. I punched a hole near the bottom of the filter just to let the oil drain out if it and to avoid a bigger mess later. It doesn't look like channellocks will work, but I'll give it another try later before I punch holes and use the screwdriver method. Thanks all.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

rigidthumper

Got a DA sander? One of those 6" sheets over the end of the filter will work, or if not, a 4X4 square of sandpaper, inside my oil filter wrench, usually does it.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jim Bronson

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 05, 2020, 11:24:11 AM
Got a DA sander? One of those 6" sheets over the end of the filter will work, or if not, a 4X4 square of sandpaper, inside my oil filter wrench, usually does it.
I'll try that. Thanks.

smoserx1

This is what I use on my twin cam:

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-70-715-Bi-Directional-Filter-Wrench/dp/B000KKLK1I

However mine is very old and is very well made.  I have read the current ones are not so good.  Don't know, but the design makes the wrench bite into the filter as it turns and the wrench clears the crank position sensor.

PoorUB

Maybe I am more tolerant that others, but I have zero issues with where HD put the filter on the Twin Cam. It is the easiest oil filter to change on the motorcycles I own. You don't have to spend 10 minutes removing and replacing plastic body panels to get to it to change the oil and filter. Could it be easier, sure it could.

On the other hand my BMW the filter is fairly accessible after body panel removal, plus the recommended oil change is 6,000 miles, no primary, just the final drive and that interval is every other oil change, but it is wide open and easy. No three holes to change. Even with the body panel removal my BMW is the quickest motorcycle I have to service.

My Yamaha R1 needs panels removed, then the filter is hiding up and behind the exhaust pipes. Makes the Harley look easy!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jim Bronson

Finally! I had to punch three sets of holes to break it loose, as it would only turn about 10° per hole pair without hitting something. I think I'll keep the mangled filter as a reminder to NEVER again let the dealer change my oil. Thanks HTT for the support.

JW113

Excellent! Proof that brute force and ignorance can overcome just about anything.
:SM:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

kd

Give it to the dealer's service manager.  :argue:
KD

Hossamania

I would still recommend a steel strap wrench for future changes.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

April 06, 2020, 02:50:38 AM #41 Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:54:56 AM by 76shuvlinoff
Quote from: smoserx1 on April 05, 2020, 01:19:58 PM
This is what I use on my twin cam:

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-70-715-Bi-Directional-Filter-Wrench/dp/B000KKLK1I

However mine is very old and is very well made.  I have read the current ones are not so good.  Don't know, but the design makes the wrench bite into the filter as it turns and the wrench clears the crank position sensor.

That's what I have but mine's so old it was made in the US.   I also relocated the filter under the left passenger floorboard on my 12 Ultra EG and never regretted it.    IMHO the nut on the KN is usually useless.

[attach=0,msg1340900]
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

hbkeith

Quote from: Hossamania on April 05, 2020, 09:28:47 AM

I like that idea!
Yes , good idea

kd

76, so many poo poo the remote filter option.  That is until they do it and the wonder why they didn't do it sooner.   :missed:  I am one so I know.  :up:
KD

No Cents

Quote from: kd on April 06, 2020, 05:36:01 AM
76, so many poo poo the remote filter option.  That is until they do it and the wonder why they didn't do it sooner.   :missed:  I am one so I know.  :up:

:agree:   100%
I have seen no down side to the remote filter...only pluses.   :up:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

cbumdumb

Of the four bikes I had in the last two years only one has been touched by a dealership . I will know soon enough whether the local dealership tech knew his rear end from a hole in the ground.

Words chosen carefully not to have post changed with potty mouth  :hug:

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on April 06, 2020, 02:50:38 AM
   IMHO the nut on the KN is usually useless.

I agree... the flats on the nut are factory rounded off and tapered to guarantee a slip out of the socket. Only filter I even had to surgically remove was a K&N.... never again.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Boe Cole

Small point to consider, if the bike has an oil cooler, getting the old filter off after it was on so tight, may cause the cooler to rotate somewhat and cause a leak.  Just something to watch for.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

chaos901

I think I have one of just about every option shown here.  Use the Rivco box wrench mostly, sometimes the cap socket, have had to use a screwdriver on a friend's bike.  Have also used some of the filters that have a hex head installed on them for the purpose.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 06, 2020, 08:46:29 AM
Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on April 06, 2020, 02:50:38 AM
   IMHO the nut on the KN is usually useless.

I agree... the flats on the nut are factory rounded off and tapered to guarantee a slip out of the socket. Only filter I even had to surgically remove was a K&N.... never again.
I've never had a problem removing a K&N filter as long as I use a 17mm socket. I only tighten the filter about 1/2 turn after it seats, and I've never had a leak. Also, the ones I use have small holes in two opposite flats of the nut, so I could use a small allen wrench with a piece of pipe for leverage. I'm hoping I won't ever need to do that. The trick is to not over-tighten.