March 28, 2024, 10:55:57 AM

News:

Transmission Clunk

Started by Sinker, April 05, 2020, 09:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinker

2018 Road Glide transmission Clunk when shifting is obnoxious. Sounds like someone cocking a pump shotgun, except louder. I just got the bike in December and didn't ride it much before I had a clutch recall done at dealer then it was in winter storage until recently. Finding neutral is also a challenge. There is a lot of information online but doesn't seem to be a consensus. Has anyone done anything that has made a difference for this?

jamminhd2000

If you have the 2018 Touring Service manual go to page 7-17 and on right side of page go to Measure Release Plate Movement. Its basically will tell you if your clutch plates are opening up enough. Jimmy

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on April 05, 2020, 09:29:01 AM
If you have the 2018 Touring Service manual go to page 7-17 and on right side of page go to Measure Release Plate Movement. Its basically will tell you if your clutch plates are opening up enough. Jimmy

:agree: and we've seen several where one of Shift Forks were bent.
Tom

wolfmotor1

My 2019 FLHRXS has the same problem.  Embarrassing on a machine like this.

cbumdumb

Had 2018 and two 2019 rgu all my bikes did it till about 3000 miles and got noticeably quieter

kd

Or. ..... you got used to it.   :teeth:
KD

Admiral Akbar

The M8s all use the slip/assist clutch.  The pressure plate rattles when shifting because of its loose fit.

cbumdumb

No when you have two bikes side by side you notice the difference.

HogMike

Quote from: Sinker on April 05, 2020, 09:15:08 AM
2018 Road Glide transmission Clunk when shifting is obnoxious. Sounds like someone cocking a pump shotgun, except louder. I just got the bike in December and didn't ride it much before I had a clutch recall done at dealer then it was in winter storage until recently. Finding neutral is also a challenge. There is a lot of information online but doesn't seem to be a consensus. Has anyone done anything that has made a difference for this?

My 2017 cvo was hard and noisy on shifting. Neutral was hard to find.
My 2019 cvo shifts quietly and neutral is easy to find.
Shifting to first at a stop still klunks. But so does my other bike.
My guess is luck of the draw when the bike comes down the line, either on a Monday or Friday! LOL
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Rokinrider

17 RG, the day my warranty ran out I put Lucas synthetic gear lube in mine and HO LEE "Potty mouth" it is no more clunk! Shifts and finds neutral way better also.
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?