April 24, 2024, 12:20:53 AM

News:

Saddle bag latch

Started by 89 fxrs, April 05, 2020, 02:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89 fxrs

April 05, 2020, 02:00:21 PM Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 04:47:17 PM by 89 fxrs
2013 Road GLIDE CVO -bag latch keeps popping opening up if i hit even a small bump - in the owners manual on page 60 it says you can adjust the latch fingers by bending them - not sure what they mean or how to do this, any one understand this and how to do this?  Also I installed a new lid gasket.
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

road-dawgs1

April 05, 2020, 02:08:43 PM #1 Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:15:31 PM by road-dawgs1
Found elsewhere:

Open the latch and on the saddle bag itself you will see two tabs at the bottom of the latch mechanism. Now close the lid and lower the latch and watch where the latch hits those two tabs. Take a small screw driver and gently pull up on both of the tabs until they just hit the bottom of the lids latch.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

twincamzz

Might want to check to make sure the spring on the saddlebag latch has not broken.  Sometimes that is the problem too.
not all who wander are lost...

89 fxrs

first thing I checked spring is not broken

fleetmechanic

April 05, 2020, 04:44:50 PM #4 Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:23:17 PM by fleetmechanic

smoserx1

Those little springs break easily.  It never caused my latches to pop open but eventually one started rattling like crazy.  I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0VCR1U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They don't use those springs.  Super cheap and I have been very happy with them.

Hossamania

Do these still have the key to lock it? I always lock mine as I have had them come open.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

smoserx1

April 06, 2020, 04:36:35 AM #7 Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:51:24 AM by smoserx1
QuoteDo these still have the key to lock it? I always lock mine as I have had them come open.

You transfer your existing locks lock cylinders, they are not part of the actual latches.  And you also use your existing cover plates.

Hossamania

Quote from: smoserx1 on April 06, 2020, 04:36:35 AM
QuoteDo these still have the key to lock it? I always lock mine as I have had them come open.

You transfer your existing locks lock cylinders, they are not part of the actual latches.  And you also use your existing cover plates (the decorative parts you actually see).

I was suggesting that always locking it keeps it from popping open, even if the latch catch isn't quite properly adjusted.

cheech

Quote from: Hossamania on April 06, 2020, 04:46:09 AM

I was suggesting that always locking it keeps it from popping open, even if the latch catch isn't quite properly adjusted.
That was the rule I thought with the now old style latches. Seen plenty of open bags while on the highway and the rider didn't realize.

Hossamania

Is a '13 CVO still the old style, or are they the new style with the toilet handle on the back side?

fleetmechanic

April 06, 2020, 07:34:31 AM #11 Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 07:43:33 AM by fleetmechanic
On our police models the '14-later bags with the toilet handles are definitely an improvement over the older version with the hockey pucks.  If the inner plate on the hockey pucks gets slightly bent to a certain angle then the coil on the puck handle slips off and the bag comes open. Spent a lot of time adjusting the plate angles. The newer ones seal much tighter also.

cheech

Quote from: Hossamania on April 06, 2020, 07:01:59 AM
Is a '13 CVO still the old style, or are they the new style with the toilet handle on the back side?
The whole Rushmore deal with the new handles was 2014 up. The CVO specifically though, uncertain if any of that was introduced any earlier on those.
Doubtful as he probably wouldn't be having any issues.

No Cents

Quote from: smoserx1 on April 05, 2020, 06:04:01 PM
Those little springs break easily.  It never caused my latches to pop open but eventually one started rattling like crazy.  I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0VCR1U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They don't use those springs.  Super cheap and I have been very happy with them.

wouldn't you know it...I had a spring break in one of my bag latches today...again.  :doh:  In the past I would take the latch apart and replaced the spring...but I remembered reading this thread the other day and thought I would order a set of those springless ones you showed and give them a try. I hope they do better than the factory latches do with those weak ass springs that like to break every couple of years. I have had to replace the springs in my bags numerous times over the years.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

PoorUB

I put 60,000 miles on my 2005 and 80,000 miles on my 2010 and never had a spring break. One thing I did was put a drop of oil on them from time to time. Can't say it helped, but considering I never had one break it certainly didn't hurt.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

No Cents

I must just have bad luck with them breaking.  :nix:  The right side bag I end up replacing almost every other year...but I use that bag the most. It gets my cell phone and wallet every time I throw my leg over the bike.
  I bought 6 extra springs many moons back...and now I'm down to one spring left. I'm kind of excited to see how these springless latches work. It's just a pain in the butt to change those springs. I'd rather pull a top end apart.  :dgust:

89 fxrs

I've had to replace the spring on my other bike and I agree it's a PITA, I'm sure eventually I'll need to replace that spring again - if you order a set please post and let us know how well they work - thanks, FXRS

Quote from: No Cents on April 11, 2020, 02:58:09 PM
Quote from: smoserx1 on April 05, 2020, 06:04:01 PM

wouldn't you know it...I had a spring break in one of my bag latches today...again.  :doh:  In the past I would take the latch apart and replaced the spring...but I remembered reading this thread the other day and thought I would order a set of those springless ones you showed and give them a try. I hope they do better than the factory latches do with those weak ass springs that like to break every couple of years. I have had to replace the springs in my bags numerous times over the years.

No Cents

according to Amazon tracking they are suppose to be here on 4/16.
I'll let you know what I think of them as soon as I get them on.  :up:

89 fxrs

Great - hope they work well for you!!!