1983 shovelhead FLHP primary to transmission

Started by bigbear1983, April 06, 2020, 10:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbear1983

HI, question regarding 2 washers that were on the front 2 primary to transmission mounting studs, these were in between the inner primary and tranny mounts. In my manual, on page 6-29 under primary chain/belt case it does say "Remove the primary case. The two washers that fall off when the primary is removed belong on the two front transmission-to-primary studs."
They were there at one time, but lost during some tranny repairs. I know it doesn't show these in the manual or parts book, but they were there. I also have not found any one that knows about these.
I am wondering if there is anyone out there that knows anything about these washers, such as if they have to be a particular thickness.

Thanks

Racepres

david lee

friday

bigbear1983

Burnout

I have never seen any washers ever installed between the trans and the inner primary...
Is this a belated 4/1 post?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

billbuilds

There are washers that go on the inside of the chain case over the transmission studs, behind the locknuts. With one on each there are a total of four. P/N 6388HB they measure 3/8 x 23/32 x 1/16. OP quoted the service manual ver batum. Never seen them between the tranny and the chain case. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

crock

I believe bilbuilds hit the nail on the head and he op miss read the S/M
Crock

Reddog74usa

Someone before you installed them in error. Ha Ha very comon to see this kind of crap in old shovels as lots of folks that had no business ever touching a wrench performed various acts of cobelry on these machines over the years. The inner primary mounts up to the trans with no washers in between. After the inner is mounted up the washers go on the studs then the nylock nuts. When mounting the inner primary loosen the trans mounting bolts then bolt it to the engine first then tighten the four trans studs then the mounting bolts for the trans  under the bike and yer done.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Burnout

I use hardened washers as standard washers deform and end up cone shaped.

Don't forget to smear a thin film of Silicone sealer on the back side of the inner primary around the stud holes to stop oil from migrating past the studs.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

bigbear1983

Hey, thanks for all the info, it is really helpful. But just to explain one last time. I got this from a police auction out of Florida.  When I first removed the inner primary there were two washers on those studs. Unfortunatly, the repair had to wait awhile and these were miss-placed. I do realize that there are washers on these studs on these bolts that go on after mounting the inner primary. With that, and the wording in the manual, I believed that there are supposed to be washers in between the trany and inner primary. I am going to go ahead without using them at this time and see how things line up. Again, thanks for all the help. You all have a good day and ride safe.             Mike

crock

Be sure to loosen the trans mounting bolts from the fame and tighten them last
Crock