April 18, 2024, 06:56:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

zumo wiring 2020 ultra gts

Started by moose, April 06, 2020, 01:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

anyone wire the accessory plug on a 2020 Ultra limited for a garmin zumo I see in the catalog it has a big plug on it and a 3.5 mm plug to the zumo where does the big plug go into my bike has the xm module and the whim module ?

tia
Moose aka Glenn-

biglew55

I have it on mine.  It uses the same plug as the CB module.  If you added a CB, then you would have to re-pin the cable into the CB harness.  Otherwise, it should just plug into the harness as described in the instructions.
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

cheech

A curious mind ask why the need for a ad on navigation system to a bike that has a native one?
Not criticizing, what are the benefits?

PoorUB

Because I like my Garmin better tha the HD GPS.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

Quote from: PoorUB on April 08, 2020, 10:10:58 AM

:up:  The stock one sucks.

cheech

Quote from: Coyote on April 08, 2020, 10:21:12 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on April 08, 2020, 10:10:58 AM

:up:  The stock one sucks.
I was assuming reasons as such. Used to it, like it better, on and on.
I asked also for his benefit as if he is trying to achieve something like voice commands and whatnot to the native navigation system through his headset.
Which correct me if I'm wrong is supported?

chaos901

What I have connected my Zumo mount to is a hot circuit that is under the fairing but not used in the USA; this circuit is for some additional light required in Europe.  This is a wire that is hot when the IGN is on and it is covered with a Red plastic cover and is just loose.   

The most recent model I have done this on is a 2010, but I suspect that the wiring is still there.   
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

PoorUB

April 08, 2020, 04:08:32 PM #7 Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 04:14:00 PM by PoorUB
On bikes with a fairing I just tap into the "cigarette" lighter power socket. It is on only with the ignition on.

I was going to add, I use the Harley GPS when traveling. I put in the intended lay over point for the night, then use my Garmin for finding gas or food stops while rolling. I tend to wander a bit so it is nice to know how many miles to the motel if I get distracted, which happens all the time!

There has been a few times where I plan on 300-400 mile days, find some tourist trap to stop and check out and next thing I know it is 3PM and I have 200 miles to get to my destination!

moose

I like the data in the Garmin much better than the Harley unit
Moose aka Glenn-

Coyote

Agreed. You can not beat Garmin's maps. Being able to completely plan routes, stops, layovers and departure times on multi day trips is the bees knees.  :teeth:

moose

they should have contracted garmin for the gts maps   that would have been great    I've had tom tom  magellan and garmin supersedes all of them 
Moose aka Glenn-

PoorUB

I don't have a big issue with the HD maps, but it just burns my back side that I have to stop along the side of the road if I want to enter in a different destination, or to search for food, but that is common to other motorcycle manufacturers so i can't bitch about HD on that point.

chaos901

QuoteI have to stop along the side of the road if I want to enter in a different destination

I suspect that is a feature to limit their exposure to liability; which I can't fault. 

PoorUB

Quote from: chaos901 on April 09, 2020, 06:02:12 AM
QuoteI have to stop along the side of the road if I want to enter in a different destination

I suspect that is a feature to limit their exposure to liability; which I can't fault.

I realize that, but I don't have to like it.

cheech

First off, Moose I hope you don mind the slight hijack.  :unsure:
Quote from: Coyote on April 08, 2020, 04:44:54 PM
Agreed. You can not beat Garmin's maps. Being able to completely plan routes, stops, layovers and departure times on multi day trips is the bees knees.  :teeth:
Disclaimer I don't use the GPS on my 2015 all that much and probably not to its capabilities.
On shorter rides, say 200ish miles for a day. I'm always trying to find, lets say very less traveled roads, like one laners and such. No numbered routes, like say route 66 or such.
Cruise the area in Google earth and come up with a route and turn by turn directions that I print off.
I fooled briefly with the Harley ride planner and wasn't very satisfied, to much work.
Are you also planning turn by turn when you plan a route to cover certain roads or just destinations and letting the GPS "get" you to your planned stops?

Quote from: PoorUB on April 09, 2020, 05:12:35 AM
I don't have a big issue with the HD maps, but it just burns my back side that I have to stop along the side of the road if I want to enter in a different destination, or to search for food, but that is common to other motorcycle manufacturers so i can't bitch about HD on that point.
The destination I'm aware of. But I could swear I've scrolled through POI, such as food and stations with the handlebar switch while moving.

PoorUB

Maybe it is just the destination, but it still kills it for me. I don't plan my trips, not in great detail. I generally know how many miles a day I need to run, some places I want to stop. The next motel I reserve the night before and the general route, but changes, so I like being able to change cities on tbe fly.
A few years ago we rode from Fargo to North Carolina with no solid plan. We just knew we had to ride so many miles a day to cover the miles in the time allowed including tourists traps.

chaos901

Not the one you asked the question, but I am a "planner" too.  Most of my riding now are trips, 3, 4, 8 days.  Before we leave I have the routes in the Zumo for the roads I want to ride (Google Earth is your friend), where we will be stopping each night and pretty well where we will be getting gas.  Lots of the roads I pick don't have lots of gas options so need to get it where we can. 

We use to not do it this way and have spent lots of time late in the evening, sometimes in the rain, trying to find a place to stop.  Not for everybody but this works for me.

The way that I look at it, I have a limited time that I can be riding and I want to waste as little as possible.  I got lots of time to plan.   

Coyote

Quote from: chaos901 on April 09, 2020, 10:55:21 AM
Not the one you asked the question, but I am a "planner" too.  Most of my riding now are trips, 3, 4, 8 days.  Before we leave I have the routes in the Zumo for the roads I want to ride (Google Earth is your friend), where we will be stopping each night and pretty well where we will be getting gas.  Lots of the roads I pick don't have lots of gas options so need to get it where we can. 

We use to not do it this way and have spent lots of time late in the evening, sometimes in the rain, trying to find a place to stop.  Not for everybody but this works for me.

The way that I look at it, I have a limited time that I can be riding and I want to waste as little as possible.  I got lots of time to plan.   

My thoughts exactly. I plan all of my long rides completely in advance. That includes all gas stops. Come ride day, I just enjoy the ride and don't have to keep thinking about where my next stop should be, is there fuel, is there a motel etc.

Here is the Garmin file I used last year for a 10 day ride.  Half the roads I had never been on before. Picked them out using Google Earth.

[attach=0,msg1341480]

PoorUB

April 09, 2020, 11:15:34 AM #18 Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 02:18:55 PM by PoorUB
First couple long trips I made I loaded the route for the whole trip into my Garmin, then never followed it anyway. My wife needs a pee stop, may as well get gas so that screws up the rest of the stops unless you feel the need to stay on the plan. See some interesting attraction down a different road? There goes that plan again! I run pretty loose and plan the next day the night before, and it might change!

I have to admit, last summer we did a run out through Wyoming and I had reserved all the motels before we left. Gas and food stops we just winged it. We did have one day with questionable weather that turned out to be nothing but it stressed me out a bit thinking about paying for a motel we might not use if the weather held us back.

If we travel through thinly populated areas I will check out gas stops before we leave so I have an idea where they are. I might pencil down some notes, but that is it. Generally 150 miles and mama wants to stop so we get gas too.

cheech

Well we're all using Google Earth to scope out nice roads.  :up:
I alternate between wanting a planned route, Got a set destination and allotted time to get there.
And freelancing as PUB does, no where particular to go, maybe see some bar that'd be a nice stop or whatever.
Coyote or anyone in general what are you using to plan trips? Then uploading to the GPS?

chaos901

I still use MapSource, but learning to use Base Camp.  Both Garmin products.

Coyote

Quote from: chaos901 on April 09, 2020, 02:11:54 PM
I still use MapSource, but learning to use Base Camp.  Both Garmin products.

Basecamp is way better. You can schedule route stops, layovers etc.