April 23, 2024, 08:54:56 AM

News:

Weird

Started by rbabos, April 08, 2020, 05:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

April 08, 2020, 05:23:09 AM Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:27:30 AM by rbabos
I swapped from a stock system with SS fatshots to the Akro open line 2-1 on my v rod. Bike ran fine during the first data run and on the first and second runs it kept making huge changes to these same areas. I might say not for the best. Bike now vibrates quite a bit with these adjustments. I went through great pains to get the NB sensors with reducers so the probes are in the pipe at least 1/4" on both. Both cyls in the same areas following the same adjustment areas but the rear a tad less overall. Seems like when you think you know something, you get stumped. Anyone have an idea what can be causing this extreme delta change?
Ron

rigidthumper

Looks like reversion to me- The sensors don't know if the O2 left in the pipe is coming from the opening at the rear of the pipe or the front.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rbabos

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 08, 2020, 07:20:51 AM
Looks like reversion to me- The sensors don't know if the O2 left in the pipe is coming from the opening at the rear of the pipe or the front.
My thoughts too based on the baffle system. Basically as short section of tube within the can. This is the quiet baffle which is about 5" long. Standard is about 2" but too friggin loud.  Not sure where to go with it as there's no way I can tune this like that. Bike seems to like the previous tune and the only thing I can think of is just run that and disable the O2 sensors in the PV cal. Be it NB or WB the same deal is going to happen. Bike sure don't like these adjustments made in data runs. Open to ideas, but it's looking like a no go street tune.
Ron

Hossamania

I really know nothing, so go easy on me, with drag pipes, a 1/4" bolt through the pipe would break up the reversion enough for measureable improvements. Is this something that might work here, or am I way off? I know it probably can't be done cleanly with that pipe, but possible to temp something to at least check?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on April 08, 2020, 08:40:34 AM
I really know nothing, so go easy on me, with drag pipes, a 1/4" bolt through the pipe would break up the reversion enough for measureable improvements. Is this something that might work here, or am I way off? I know it probably can't be done cleanly with that pipe, but possible to temp something to at least check?
Not really an option here, but I do know what you are talking about. It might take care of the real low rpms but skew the rest with so much back pressure I doubt it would be right when the washer was removed.
Ron

Jamie Long

Why do you feel this is huge change? You changed to a totally different exhaust system and VE did not change more than 10% This does not at all look like reversion, it looks like you simply changed the airflow model; which you did when you changed
exhaust systems. 

Generally speaking if it was reversion where would be "huge" deltas (as much as 20,30, 50% or more) in the light load & transients

remington007

Did you try upping the Charge Dilution tables in those areas?

Hossamania

Quote from: rbabos on April 08, 2020, 08:50:47 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on April 08, 2020, 08:40:34 AM
Not really an option here, but I do know what you are talking about. It might take care of the real low rpms but skew the rest with so much back pressure I doubt it would be right when the washer was removed.
Ron

I wasn't really talking about a washer, just a straight rod across the opening, much like holding a Phillips screwdriver across the end of the pipe, so no back pressure. Thanks for responding in kind, I don't post in this section, way out of my league.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: remington007 on April 08, 2020, 09:46:41 AM
I think the biggest thing is the engine vibrates a lot more with these changes. Runs smoother with the Supertrap cal. I expected changes but not degraded engine running that came with. Unless something mechanical took place since the last cal load, I don't know. Will put back the ST cal to compare before proceeding further with the tune.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: remington007 on April 08, 2020, 09:46:41 AM
Used them on the ST cal to smooth the VE and did ponder it on this one. It's something to try for sure.
Ron

rbabos

In some ways the second run looks better then the starting point. In actuality the vibrating engine is from one with half of the adjustments on the first run. No miss or any engine running issues , just really buzzy feel to it. First I thought it was the hard mount muffler of the Akro but it seemed fine on the base cal starting point . I've not loaded The 3rd after experiencing how rough the engine got on the second run. I will test it and see next chance I get.
Ron