May 03, 2024, 04:31:34 PM

News:

HD Touring Air Shock Fittings won't hold air

Started by Boe Cole, April 11, 2020, 12:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boe Cole

When I was working on the back of my 11RGU, I removed the airlines from the shocks to make my life easier.  Reconnected the airlines and find that they won't hold air at the fittings on the shocks.  Ordered from Ronnie's, two new fittings - they came in (super quick by the way - yea Ronnie's) and they won't hold air either.  Pushed the orange part in and tried it that way - no luck.  Pulled it out - no luck.

The shocks held air before I disconnected the airlines but not now.

What am I doing wrong - or is there some trick that I'm not aware of that I'm missing.  When I removed and reconnected the airlines before, I never had a problem but not now....

The air leak is definitely at the fittings - used Windex there and the bubbles show the fittings where the line goes in as the leaker.  Could it be the airlines shrunk over time and I need to replace them as well?

Or is there another solution?
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

twincamzz

I have found that sometimes you have to make a fresh cut in the air line for the fitting to seal up correctly.
not all who wander are lost...

Boe Cole

Quote from: twincamzz on April 11, 2020, 02:08:50 PM
I have found that sometimes you have to make a fresh cut in the air line for the fitting to seal up correctly.

Forgot to mention that I tried that.  Did not help but thank you anyway.

smoserx1

QuoteI have found that sometimes you have to make a fresh cut in the air line for the fitting to seal up correctly.
That is what my SM says, I believe it suggests cutting off 1/4 inch.  I believe H-D also sells the line in a 25 foot roll if you need to replace it.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

The parts are readily available from any over the road truck dealer like Freightliner. Air Shift Line and fittings. About 1/16th of the price from the dealer.
Tom

Beave

You may need to increase the shock pressure to seat the o-ring in the fitting and maybe pull the air line out slightly.
With speed comes stability.

PoorUB

Are You certain you have the air line pushed in all the way? It can take a bit of force.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Boe Cole

Thank you all....  Finally got them to hold air.  Hit the system with 40psi from my compressor and moved the airlines in and out slightly while moving the orange seat in and out.  Went from a major air leak to sealed in a heartbeat.  In the for what its worth department - the airline is 5/32".  To avoid this issue down the road, I'm going to hit a truck stop for 5' so next time, it won't be an issue.

a_disalvo

I found that cutting the lines back about 1/2", with a sharp razor blade, NOT cutting pliers, helps them seal. Regards, Frank