April 25, 2024, 01:14:14 AM

News:

No shifting Up or Down

Started by Burnout, April 08, 2020, 09:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnout

Estate purchase 77FXE has not run since 1988 "barn find" mostly original.
I can't tell if the pawls are broke or the grease has coagulated and is gumming up the pawls?
I don't see any way to get some spray cleaner in there to loosen things up....

Will the oil tank come out without removing the inner primary?
I'm hoping I can just R&R the ratchet top.....

Any thoughts or tips?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Ohio HD

I believe it will if memory serves me. You have to twist contort the thing to get it out.

kd

Battery box, starter and then tank should do it depending on the style of the rear exhaust pipe.  It may have to come off too.
KD

Ohio HD

Yeah, he's right, it has to come out the right side. The mounting tabs is what causes a headache.

david lee

no.starter stays in and oil tank comes out the primary side.takes a bit of manipulating

billbuilds

Quote from: david lee on April 08, 2020, 01:53:00 PM
no.starter stays in and oil tank comes out the primary side.takes a bit of manipulating

I don't know, Dave. There's that big tab on the bottom of the oil tank where the battery tray mounts.  I'm not seeing how you can get that over the inner primary.
     Once you get the tank tabs slid off the rubbermounts, try removing both of those rubber mounts first.  Taking the fill cap off will gain you more wiggle room. I found that top tab on left side of oil tank needs to go up and over the rubber mount mounting tab. Bill   
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

JW113

If you remove the two mount brackets that bolt the the center down tube, you can get it out.

If you think it's sludge build up, maybe drain the oil and fill the trans up with kerosene, lift the rear wheel and spin the rear tire to slosh it around, and let soak for a few days.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

JW113

A dumb thought.... any chance it's the shift lever shaft frozen in the bushing? Did you try disconnecting the shift rod and try to "Potty mouth" if at the trans shift lever?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

Hossamania

Quote from: JW113 on April 08, 2020, 02:37:01 PM
A dumb thought.... any chance it's the shift lever shaft frozen in the bushing? Did you try disconnecting the shift rod and try to "Potty mouth" if at the trans shift lever?

-JW

Right, I would try and isolate the moving pieces.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Burnout

Thanks,

Square oil tank, not horseshoe.

Shifter and linkage moves, problem is with the pawl. it is not moving the drum.
The centering springs are good, the shifter has not gone limp.

Burnout

Oil tank comes out the right side.
Starter had to come out so the ratchet top would clear the seat post.
50 year old grease was holding the plungers up from rotating the drum.
After a tour of the solvent tank and a re-grease it's all good.