April 19, 2024, 10:14:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

cam install opinions wanted

Started by LuzRD, April 16, 2020, 01:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LuzRD

Hey guys, im considering a cam and headpipe swap and would appreciate some knowledge.
This will be my 1st time getting into a Harley and want to make sure that ive got everything BEFORE hand, so if im missing something please let me know.

Also im leaning towards a CR480 or S&S 475 unless there is a better performing cam for the 107", but per fuelmoto the cam kit for the CR480 is almost $150 more ...is it $150 more of a cam?

ive seen the cam comparisons from fm, Durwood, the comparison videos on youtube etc. ...i guess i just want justification (or correction) on component choice. im not trying to save money, but im not trying to throw it away on unnecessary stuff either.

OK, the bike is a stage 1 2017 FLTRXS SE Heavy breather, street cannons & SEPST. I typically ride the midrange, but i do like to twist the right grip a lot too. i want it to sound like a Harley and i want power everywhere but the low to midrange is more important (neither of my cam choices look like a slouch on either side of the graph).
ive read that the street cannons are actually pretty good for scavenging and keeping the M8 happy in the lower RPM's, will this carry over with the following parts or will they limit the top end? should i count on needing new slip ons?

Im planning on the following to get this done.
Either 475c or cr480 cam kit from fm. both include the cam, lifters, pushrods, bearing, and gasket/o-ring kit. (the cr482 and rs472 are for larger displacement engines, right?)
S&S billet tappet cuffs. 330-0655
Jims cam bearing tool
OEM 8 lobe oil pump 62400247 & new vs pump assembly cover 62400245
Thundermax with autotune 309-588 (i chose the tmax because of the autotune, and ive read that its (arguably) better with more wild builds. so compatible with possible future upgrades)
Fullsac MX touring pipe
im gonna need a cam gear locking tool, any recommendations?
typical handtools, is everything standard or do they mix in a couple metrics to mess with you? im assuming some torx too. and a torque wrench.
typical engine build consumables. assembly lube, loctite & antiseize
a jack or lift to get the rear tire (and my ass) off the ground while working.

im planning on running a canned map initially and auto tuning it. any advice on this, besides "get it dyno'd immediately". I dont know of any tuners in the area that i would trust yet ...maybe a road trip this summer to a reputable shop.

ok, what am i missing?

Sunny Jim

Air cleaner!
Use a power vision or a TTS and keep you ECU.
CR460 Cam in a 107 is well mannered.

yobtaf103

Where are you located,perhaps someone here knows a "go to shop"

Other than that, imho no to the thundermax is spendy, PV or TTS maybe talk to the guys you mentioned here what they suggest  as a combo/cam with your intake/exh
Think Durwood has done work with the cannons & a decat header

Hillside Motorcycle

Another coming in this Friday.

Good air cleaner kit
D&D Billet Cat
.468 Red Shift cam
DirectLink Tune
Ride....smile.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hossamania

LuzRD, have you checked the testing done in the Milwaukee Eight section? This is one link, but there are a couple others there as well. A friend of mine used the RS468 and really liked it, the 22x looks good for an all around cam, and CR480 is a strong cam for sure.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,102329.0.html
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

bobrk1

Look in the dyno room  you  can  see  what  people  are  using  and  what  you  can  expect ,  picked  out  my  cam from  there  very  happy , tuner uses dlink  to tune  don't  know  if  it  is  same  as  directlink  mentioned  here  but  put  50k  since  tune  no problem 

DTTJGlide

If you're going to go with a Tmax I'd suggest going with the Zippers RS468, the reason being Zippers is the largest seller of Tmax, so the base map from them should be spot on. It will set A/F ratios on it's own to fine tune that , the biggest thing is getting a good timing map,Zippers also has good customer service if you need more. The RS468 has a little better bottom end than the 2 you mentioned & maybe just a little less on the top end, but sounds like it would fit your riding style well. I like my S&S 475 a lot & am also running a Tmax, but I did the install 2 years ago so I didn't have much for map choices, there may be better ones out there now, but for now I'm very satisfied. Did a couple of dyno pulls at a local HD d ealer, no tuning just 2 pulls for $20 on there "Dyno Days", it showed 108hp & 115tq, will probably try to find a better timing map when I get around to a BB, the 475 as well as the 480 like the CR closer to 11.0, good luck on your decision.

LuzRD

thanks for the help guys, BUUUT since i started this thread ive gotten the bike out of storage and found that the rear cylinder head gasket is leaking oil. the bike is like 3 weeks out of warranty and the dealer wants about a grand to fix it.

so i got to thinking that the $1k for the head gasket and $1400 +/- for the cam swap parts/tools isnt that far off from buying all the parts to go big bore.

see where im going with this? :)

this would have to work with a decatted head pipe and stock throttle body for now (hell, i shouldnt spend THIS much).

current shopping list
1. fuelmoto 124" m8 11.0-1cr with carrillo pistons
2. 5.5gm injectors.
3. S&S head bolt kit
4. M8 cam bearing tool.
5. M8 cam gear locking tool.
6. S&S billet tappet cuffs
7. Power vision pv-2.
8. S&S 550c cam/pushrods/lifters/gaskets

9. 62400247 updated oil pump set.
10. 26500027 primary vent kit
11. 25566-06 sprocket retention kit
12. 25928-06 cam gear spacer kit
13. 94000383A service manual

14. S&S valve springs #900-0958
15. indicator and base (verify deck height and maybe crank runout if i can mount it there)

one question about the injectors, is their rated output a matter of duty cycle or flow capabilities ...or both? meaning, is there any pros/cons in stepping up to the next output level (6.3gm/sec).

if this looks good i get to start all over researching exhausts and throttle bodies HA!
thanks everyone for your help btw!

So, am i crazy or should i? what am i missing?

lonewolf

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: yobtaf103 on April 19, 2020, 02:00:17 PM
the thundermax is spend

Thindermax was a GREAT company until it was sold. IMO it went down hill a bit. Even in Quality. Originally they were one of the Best when I was Tuning.
Tom

Hossamania

Using a decatted head pipe and stock intake severely restricts the true potential of the build, imo of course.

Hossamania

Also , have you pressed the dealer to cover the head gasket repair as a warranty issue, since it is so close to the expiration of the warranty?

kd

It sounds by your description this engine was leaking while in storage and therefore within the warranty period.  Did you present it to the dealer that way?  He has the option of earning the warranty repair money or losing it all to an indy that will build you a 124.   The story on getting screwed on the warranty date will also not be good for him or the MOCO.  :nix:  Sometimes it's in the presentation.
KD

LuzRD

Quote from: Hossamania on May 01, 2020, 05:41:42 AM
Also , have you pressed the dealer to cover the head gasket repair as a warranty issue, since it is so close to the expiration of the warranty?

Quote from: Hossamania on May 01, 2020, 05:38:44 AM
Using a decatted head pipe and stock intake severely restricts the true potential of the build, imo of course.

i didnt press too hard, but i did press during the conversation after they diagnosed it. im gonna push them a little more when i pick the bike up but i dont expect anything.

im aware of the restrictions of the exhaust and intake, but if it runs decent as is for now then i can at least ride it with the components that i want until i can upgrade the intake, tb and exhaust. and THIS is what id like opinions on. the stock exhaust will bottleneck performance across the whole range as will the intake but does anyone think that it wont be streetable like this?

LuzRD

Quote from: kd on May 01, 2020, 06:29:15 AM
It sounds by your description this engine was leaking while in storage and therefore within the warranty period.  Did you present it to the dealer that way?  He has the option of earning the warranty repair money or losing it all to an indy that will build you a 124.   The story on getting screwed on the warranty date will also not be good for him or the MOCO.  :nix:  Sometimes it's in the presentation.

there was a slight leak right before i put it up for storage, im going to push that when i talk to them.

PoorUB

No argument for me, but it depends on your goals. I am running a de-cat, stock mufflers, stock AC, CR 570-2 cams and TTS tuner on my 2016 Limited and am very satisfied with the results. Just the de-cat and tune woke it up considerably. My Limited with just the de-cat and tune would roll away from Gonenorth's same year Limited. I know I am giving up some HP, but I got to a point where I am satisfied and I dislike noisy motorcycles.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

Quote from: PoorUB on May 01, 2020, 06:56:25 AM

No argument for me, but it depends on your goals. I am running a de-cat, stock mufflers, stock AC, CR 570-2 cams and TTS tuner on my 2016 Limited and am very satisfied with the results. Just the de-cat and tune woke it up considerably. My Limited with just the de-cat and tune would roll away from Gonenorth's same year Limited. I know I am giving up some HP, but I got to a point where I am satisfied and I dislike noisy motorcycles.

But yours is not a 124".

kd

Quote from: LuzRD on May 01, 2020, 06:37:26 AM

there was a slight leak right before i put it up for storage, im going to push that when i talk to them.

Well it sounds like it was stored at the dealer.  Do they do a service with the storage?  They will have a record at least of the fact it didn't leave their possession and would therefore have been within the warranty period.  I think you have a good position for a claim.
KD

LuzRD

Quote from: kd on May 01, 2020, 07:03:09 AM
Quote from: LuzRD on May 01, 2020, 06:37:26 AM

Well it sounds like it was stored at the dealer.  Do they do a service with the storage?  They will have a record at least of the fact it didn't leave their possession and would therefore have been within the warranty period.  I think you have a good position for a claim.

it wasnt stored at the dealer or id be raising hell over the warranty

PoorUB

Quote from: Hossamania on May 01, 2020, 06:59:09 AM

But yours is not a 124".

umm....Nevermind! :embarrassed:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hillside Motorcycle

Before/after results are on the company Facebook.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Tail Ridr

Do you have a dyno sheet done on yours?
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!