April 16, 2024, 02:20:36 AM

News:

Millennium cylinders?

Started by BigT, April 16, 2020, 03:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

Quote from: BigT on April 17, 2020, 01:16:43 PM
The front cylinder looked good. The rear cylinder was pretty scored up. Decided to use a set of seasoned 96" cylinders bored out to 103" with 10:1 CP-Carrillo pistons. I have no idea what make the old pistons were but the oil ring on the Carrillo pistons looks to be twice as wide.

Using those cylinders is the right thing to do, your friend will be very happy.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

aswracing

What we'd see is good ones for awhile, then bad ones for awhile, etc.

Plating processes are not as easy to control as you might think. A lot of things affect it.

In the end, I figure somewhere between 5-10% of them came back. Every one of those that came back, we ended up losing money on that project. No shop can survive with that kind of a come-back rate. I finally threw in the towel. I couldn't make it work. It wasn't the rings, it wasn't the clearances, it wasn't the assembly procedures or the tuning or anything else I had any control of. I became convinced it was something upstream from me. The issues came and went in waves.

I worked with a foundry, developed our own cylinder with an actual ferrous liner, and never looked back. Works great.

prodrag1320

Quote from: JW113 on April 17, 2020, 09:42:41 AM
Not an advocate of Nikasil either, but... BMW used it on their '81 and later airheads, with great success. Why you suppose that is? 250,000 miles on a top end is not uncommon. Much less stroke, piston velocity, and rod angle? Just trying to understand why it does not work in the Harley world when it has a proven record in the beemer-verse. Or is it maybe not Nikasil per say, but related to the supplier and how they make them?

-JW

ive seen this argument before,im sure the plating process,equipment is ALOT different between BMW,HONDA,ect and the process/equipment rev perf uses

Hillside Motorcycle

Solenberg Performance, Shelbyville, Ind.
Cast-iron lined 4.250" cylinder/piston kits, formerly Delkron.
Ready, set, fight...... :hyst:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

There is a couple of Guzzi and BMW's shops that use Rev Pro to restore there old cylinders with good success. Maybe it has some thing install process or piston and ring package. I know on some kits they use CP and Wiseco piston kits. I know a couple of Harley shops stop using Wiseco pistons. I had my issues with there pistons as well as S&S had with there pistons years back.           

Appowner

Porsche used Nikasil for a number of years in their 911 series.  No idea if they still do or not but they ran great in my 911.

Hossamania

This has been discussed here many times. It seems Porsche, yes, BMW, yes, Harley, no.
Why?
It doesn't matter. There are too many known good options to mess with it.

Buglet

It would be nice to fine out the real reason why they don't work instead of speculating. The other thing how are they able to keep selling them if they are that bad. They must have some good sales people. How long does it take for people to stop buying there stuff.

FLDavetrain

Quote from: Hossamania on April 18, 2020, 06:11:57 AM

Ok, so tell me who else sells 4.250 cylinders for 131ci. Help me be aware of all the good options.
currently 510ci on tap

Hossamania

Quote from: FLDavetrain on April 18, 2020, 06:47:50 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on April 18, 2020, 06:11:57 AM

Ok, so tell me who else sells 4.250 cylinders for 131ci. Help me be aware of all the good options.

Sorry,.can't help you there. I was thinking more along the line of conventional builds. It seems these have been a problem for years, and no answer found yet. Many theories, many attempts at making them work by very smart people, and still no concrete answers or solutions. I guess you just take your chances, or build a good 124", or go 143".

dirty jim

Only difference I see is that Harley-Davidson is a 45 degree twin not a "Boxer".

IronButt70

Quote from: dirty jim on April 18, 2020, 07:32:22 AM
Only difference I see is that Harley-Davidson is a 45 degree twin not a "Boxer".
And not a design where both cylinders are getting and equal amount of cooling air directly on the exhaust side like a Guzzi.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

aswracing

A 131 done at a height that will fit in the stock chassis is about the worst motor you can ever imagine. There is no skirt left. The piston looks like a disc with rings on it. Do yourself a giant favor and build a 124.

aswracing

Quote from: prodrag1320 on April 18, 2020, 04:21:59 AM
ive seen this argument before,im sure the plating process,equipment is ALOT different between BMW,HONDA,ect and the process/equipment rev perf uses

I hate to agree with Kirby all the time ... but he's hitting the nail on the head with this comment.

Don D

Just getting cylinders is fine and good, now wow about the almost non-existent real estate between the head bolt and cylinder bore. So you have a time bomb with a few avenues to blow. Years ago guys built all bore 114" with similar issues but at least those had piston skirts

FLDavetrain

Quote from: aswracing on April 18, 2020, 06:23:33 PM

A 131 done at a height that will fit in the stock chassis is about the worst motor you can ever imagine. There is no skirt left. The piston looks like a disc with rings on it. Do yourself a giant favor and build a 124.

Have all the above already. Sky not falling yet but thanks for the comment
currently 510ci on tap

prodrag1320

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on April 18, 2020, 04:32:10 AM

franks a good friend,know him for years

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: prodrag1320 on April 20, 2020, 04:26:32 AM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on April 18, 2020, 04:32:10 AM

franks a good friend,know him for years

Good guys over there. :up: :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

vafatboy1

I'm way out of my league here....but.....when I had several friends that had failures on Rev cylinders. I did some digging around the net specifically on Porsche use of this tech.  One of the high performance shops offering more cubes claimed success needed thermally stable material.  This shop used billet for their base instead of cast in high performance (more heat) applications. 

Nastytls

Searched based on what Kirby stated above.

https://www.solenbergperf.com/delkron

Would an all bore 124" using these 4.250 be more stable than the 131" with it's longer stroke?

jmorton10

I have never used Delkron barrels, but I used Delkron cases on my old Shovel street/race bike.  I had tig welded cracks in the stock cases so many times it was getting ridiculous.

The Delkron cases where totally bullet proof.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

TorQuePimp

Quote from: Nastytls on April 21, 2020, 07:25:31 AM

Would an all bore 124" using these 4.250 be more stable than the 131" with it's longer stroke?

If you can keep it sealed up

Check with them last I knew they had not produced anything new

Some 117 kits in stock

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Nastytls on April 21, 2020, 07:25:31 AM

Built 5, 131"s in the last year....plus one for my personal use.
All good.
T-Man 662-2's are the ticket in a Sport-Touring application.
Torque band is such, that Ronnie Milsap could drag race it....... :bike:

Buglet

Now all you need is to have the bike handle like a Sport-Tourer and you be set.

Hillside Motorcycle

So .125" bore increase (.062" on a side) over an S&S cylinder creates an apocolapse?
Answer..........It doesn't.