April 25, 2024, 10:32:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

clutch questions

Started by chipthedonkey, April 18, 2020, 09:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipthedonkey

Hello everyone.  My uncle is away for several weeks working on a rig.  I'm a 17 year old Harley rider riding a 1999 Evo Dyna that was my Granddad's that my uncle fixed up for me last year.  I love it.  I know he's checked in here before so I've got his computer to ask a question.  I want to fix something myself to show him I can while he's gone.

Today I'm pretty sure my clutch started slipping.  I don't have a ton of money but can anyone recommend a good clutch set to buy that would cost me $250 or less.  I can do mac and cheese for a couple weeks and manage that!

I think I've only got one install question after looking at the book.  When it's all back in does turning that little center screw in make it release sooner or later?  Just so I can find what will be my happy place.  And while I'm in there is there anything else that would also just normally be repalced or that should be looked at more close?

thumper 823

I appreciate your willingness to fix something and don't want to curb your enthusiasm ..
But-Lets start with a diagnosis and go from there.
Rare is a clutch going to slip in a Harley.
Start with the hand lever -is there ANY free play there?

The clutch release action needs a TINY amount of lever-action to take up cable slack.
If there is none, that could be causing the slip, if you have too much lever-action you get the clutch drag.
As you know there are several clutch friction disks and sever plates in the clutch basket.
They last a lifetime under most applications.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

guido4198

Let's start with: How many miles are on the bike..??
Do some research and learn the correct way to adjust the clutch. Run through that procedure a couple of times and see if it doesn't help things. As Thumper already pointed out..there HAS to be a little slack in that clutch handle. The specification is about 1/8 inch. Some folks use a quarter. Run the adjuster in until there's just enough space to slip a quarter in between the clutch handle and the hand lever bracket up on the handlebar. 
Anything else to check:
Please take a good look at the tires. NOT just for tread depth but also for condition of the rubber. It's not uncommon to find older bikes that haven't been ridden too much that have tires with plenty of depth in the tread..and cracked, split, rotten rubber.

hogpipes1

April 19, 2020, 06:54:07 AM #3 Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:05:29 AM by hogpipes1
It's more than just the center screw adj. Read the book 1st a couple x , Cable needs to be loosened up as well and adj. along with  center screw as final touch.. Don't piss off uncle  if you don't get it right and need his help  later. You do the job and have him sitting around having a beer.

When done right no slip, no grab, no hard shifting ,and easy netural find.  Keep reading the book and U-Tube will get you on the right track . You never get in trouble if you ask first. Keep the ? comning. :up:

Pirsch Fire Wagon

It is best to soak the Discs Overnight. Why, I don't know but it has always worked best for me.

Turn until resistance is felt, back off 1/2" complete turn. You can adjust the Friction Zone as desired at the Cable Adjuster.
Tom

JW113

Correct adjustment sure, but the number one thing that ALWAYS happens with Harley clutches is the cable gets dry. While adjusting it, be sure to oil the cable. Makes a night and day difference.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

chipthedonkey

Thank you everyone.  I found a youtube video.  Watchign it being done is a lot of help to make the book's directions clear.  That was good advice I hadn't thought of.  I know the cable is lubed and the tires were new last year.  On some hard throttle pull with a little uphill at the same time the engine revved more than the bike went.  I couldn't think of anything else other than the old clutches slipping.  The bike has 40,000 miles now.  It only had 29 when I got it a year ago so I've been riding the piss out of it!

I'll try the adjustment first before buying expensive parts.  If that doesn't change things I will look for recommendations on a good set of clutch discs?  Do the kits come with the metal plates and the discs or just the discs?

hogpipes1

You can get the plates & disc ea. at dealer , If you buy a set of just the friction ,make sure the steel are not blue and warped. Lay the steel on  flat glass to ck. If eng is rev- on a hard pull with lever all the way out. it 's slipping ,Doesn't  mean clutch is shot.  Adj. 1 st  , You could all so go with a new S-E Pressure  plate.More clamping  pressure , along with harder pull in of lever.

JW113

And maybe try some Type F automatic transmission fluid in the primary instead of regular primary oil...

-JW

chipthedonkey

Thanks again everyone.  My bike may be all good now.  I did the adjustment this afternoon.  While I was working on it my uncle's neighbor who is also his buddy came in the garage to see what I was doing.  Then he left and came back with some new clutch thing he just gave me.  It's a Harley part.  I think he called it a center frugal clutch spring.  I'm not sure.  But after the readjustment and adding that new thing it's not slipping anymore.  Can't wait to tell my uncle the bike I had a little problem and I got it fixed!

JW113

That's awesome! Your first step into a gigantic new universe. Hope your wallet can keep up.

:hyst:

-JW

chipthedonkey

I know what you mean.  This is weird.  I walked by the bike this morning.  After fixing something on it on my own now there were all these thoughts in my head like gee, what should I do to it next?  Nothing is broken.  It's all working fine right now.  It's like it was calling to me. 

SP33DY

It means you're hooked now!

Burnout

Quote from: chipthedonkey on April 20, 2020, 07:22:41 AM
I know what you mean.  This is weird.  I walked by the bike this morning.  After fixing something on it on my own now there were all these thoughts in my head like gee, what should I do to it next?  Nothing is broken.  It's all working fine right now.  It's like it was calling to me.

Jump on your bad motor scooter and RIDE !!!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

After fixing something on it on my own now there were all these thoughts in my head like gee, what should I do to it next?  Nothing is broken.  It's all working fine right now.  It's like it was calling to me.

We have a saying for that.

"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is".

Maybe best to lock up the wrenches, eh?

-JW

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on April 20, 2020, 09:02:29 AM
After fixing something on it on my own now there were all these thoughts in my head like gee, what should I do to it next?  Nothing is broken.  It's all working fine right now.  It's like it was calling to me.

We have a saying for that.

"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is".

Maybe best to lock up the wrenches, eh?

-JW

!00% correct...
I'm with BurnOut... "get on yer bad MotorScooter and Ride!!!"

screem

Hey Bud, get job on the clutch fix, nothing like doing repairs yourself...Now get on it and continue to ride the piss out of it, Real curious as to what your friends think of you riding a Harley? they supportive or just don't get it?

kd

April 20, 2020, 12:20:47 PM #17 Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:28:45 PM by kd
Chip, see if you can find out if the cam bearings and cam chain tensioners were ever changed in that engine and let us know.

Disregard if this is actually an evo engine.  I was under the understanding that the only 99 evo engines were in Softails.  The first TC engines were the cam bearing problems.  I just checked and see the evo went as far as the 2000 FXR4.
KD

hogpipes1

Good to hear it's fixed , Sping plate is what i was thinking  but said pressure plate. How were the steel plates looking when you had it apart. Any bluing from the slip?  You now konw you can fix just about anything with this site and H-D manual.

chipthedonkey

If I wrote 1999 before it was my bad typing skills.  It's a 1998 bike.  Definitely Evo.  So here's what happened with me and my bike today.

I socially distanced all afternoon.  Like 250 miles worth.  Saw a bike mid afternoon that obviously had LED light bulbs.  Before now I would not have thought of OH, I need those.  But since I didn't have to buy a clutch I got money.  So I ordered LED bulbs and a tail light and something called a equalizer so they'd all work right.

I might have been better off if I'd just let my uncle fix the bike.  Now I'm seeing all this stuff in a whole different way!

Hossamania

Oh, you are on a slope my friend, a very slippery slope!!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Hey ... I've got a few ideas for ya too.   :hyst:  Just check in on occasion with a bank statement an your new pals will hep ya out.   :potstir:
KD

FSG

QuoteNow I'm seeing all this stuff in a whole different way!

chipthedonkey

oh boy, I got a tracking number for my new LED lights.  Even waiting for UPS is different now!

kd

Quote from: chipthedonkey on April 21, 2020, 06:22:57 AM
oh boy, I got a tracking number for my new LED lights.  Even waiting for UPS is different now!

:hyst: :hyst:  Now you know how an addict feels waiting for his delivery.  You're hooked now.  Re read FSG's previous post.  It's called replacement therapy.   :wink:
KD