May 03, 2024, 06:43:23 AM

News:

throttle/idle cables 1983 FLH

Started by waltcentral, April 11, 2020, 07:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

I measure the black vinyl portion of the cables on the bike at 32 inches. The bike has a S&S Super E.  Anything special about the cables for a S&S I should consider? The cables on there look like originals.

Ohio HD

If the E is made for that bike, and push pull cables, then no differences.

waltcentral

I bought Barnett clutch, throttle and idle cables. Replacing the 35 year old cables on the bike now. I replaced the speedo cable with a Barnett last year after a self induced mishap. I could have bought cheaper cables but.....

76shuvlinoff

I had a cheap throttle cable saw through the elbow piece under the throttle assembly.  Wedged it real good.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

72fl

I only use 1 cable on an E with a Shovel works just fine

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Here is what's required to get the most accurate
Tom

thumpr54

My 1980 FXE came new with a single throttle cable.....when I put in the S&S 84" kit some years later it came with the E and the push/pull...open/close dual cable setup. I kinda suspected maybe it was something 'required' on newer models for safety ? Anyone know for sure ?
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

Racepres

Quote from: thumpr54 on April 19, 2020, 08:21:01 AM
My 1980 FXE came new with a single throttle cable.....when I put in the S&S 84" kit some years later it came with the E and the push/pull...open/close dual cable setup. I kinda suspected maybe it was something 'required' on newer models for safety ? Anyone know for sure ?
Absolutely...same as all shifters will be on the left!! Can only make so much Noise!! etc...
BTW at the Race track...you will be required to have a Manual throttle return as well... Safety... that one courtesy NHRA

Hossamania

I really can't argue against the return cable, it is a true safety feature that does not get in the way, hamper performance, cost a lot of extra money, or cause a major issue in the looks department.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: 72fl on April 19, 2020, 05:20:29 AM
I only use 1 cable on an E with a Shovel works just fine

I did that with 2 Es and 2 CVs.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway