April 18, 2024, 12:07:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2020 M8's

Started by Reddog74usa, April 19, 2020, 09:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

Ok, it's been a few years now since the introduction of the M8. After all this time have they made any progress in addressing the issues they were having IE. sumping and oil transfer or is it still a roll of the dice as to weather or not the new bike you buy may still be prone to these issues? I know there were concerns about the rocker arms and valve adjustments etc. What has happened with that and any other concerns that were mentioned and has there been any progress or updates to those issues???? This would be good to know for riders like myself that road the M8 when it came out and really likes it but were a bit gun shy on pulling the trigger on one until they worked out these issues.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

les

The one thing I'd like to know is what, if anything, has been done about the piston jets?  I've heard nothing about any explicit fix for the jets coming loose and hemorrhaging into the sump.

sandrooney

I haven't read or heard of issues with the 2020. I believe the issues in earlier model years of the M8 were few and far between.
Patience is such a waste of time .

les

Quote from: sandrooney on April 20, 2020, 04:06:00 AM
I haven't read or heard of issues with the 2020. I believe the issues in earlier model years of the M8 were few and far between.

It's probably not wide spread, but twin cams had zero problems with this, which is a major pain in the butt to fix.  I don't even know if anyone for sure would know if their pistons were not getting cooled properly and they were loosing a bit of power because their jets were leaking.

FSG

QuoteI've heard nothing about any explicit fix for the jets coming loose and hemorrhaging into the sump.

they came out with a different gasket

FloridaJim5

Quote from: FSG on April 20, 2020, 06:14:52 AM
QuoteI've heard nothing about any explicit fix for the jets coming loose and hemorrhaging into the sump.

Do you know if or when this gasket went into production engines in the factory? 

les

Ok, now that is an explicit fix.  Thank you, sir.

les

BTW, do you know about when they changed the gasket?

VernDiesel

I read engines produced 5 of 19 or after have the new 8 lobe oil pump which seems to have solved sumping.

bobrk1

Hi this  is  more  for  les , had  a  friend  kept losing  rear cyl  after  a  95 build  on a 88. After  the  second  one  mechanic  checked  out  the  nozzle  rear was  clogged  with  locktite  I  don't  know  if  it  was  from  factory  and  95 was  to much  or if someone  had them out  on the  build .

les

Quote from: bobrk1 on April 24, 2020, 01:45:08 PM
Hi this  is  more  for  les , had  a  friend  kept losing  rear cyl  after  a  95 build  on a 88. After  the  second  one  mechanic  checked  out  the  nozzle  rear was  clogged  with  locktite  I  don't  know  if  it  was  from  factory  and  95 was  to much  or if someone  had them out  on the  build .

So, those piston jet bolts are the only bolts I know of that use light strength (purple) loctite.  Any time you use loctite you should be careful how much you apply because when screwing the bolt/screw in, the loctite can puddle.  This is one of the reasons Feuling insists that you do not use any loctite on the Feuling oil pump bolts.  They specify thread grease, and when I use it I make sure it's a light thin coating and I run it in and out of the pump threads, wiping off the puddle, until I get it just the way I like.

I really believe there is no rule of thumb when using loctite.  I feel it's depended on the application.  Some applications, you can just slop it on.  Others, require thinking about and paying attention to make sure that an overflow won't cause problems.  For example, you could use a clean prick punch to put a little in the piston jet holes rather than on the screws, right?

Reddog74usa

If the only improvements made to address the issues they are having is a new updated piston oiler gasket I think I'll pass on the M8.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

PoorUB

Red, Harley is on the 8th(?) version on the oil pump, to improve savaging, and supposedly venting the primary to stop, or reduce transmission fluid transfer to the primary. A bunch of band aids in my opinion.

I am not a M8 fan. I wouldn't trade my 2016 Limited for one!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

choseneasy

After seeing the 131" kit dyno sheets I would look hard at an M8.

IronButt70

Quote from: choseneasy on May 17, 2020, 06:01:09 PM
Are any of the OEM 131s taking out the tranny?
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

cheech

In frame bolt on job too. No case removal.  :up:
Going to make me take the gamble once this Covid crap, is out of the way.

Thermodyne

Quote from: IronButt70 on May 17, 2020, 06:48:17 PM

3rd gear failing on the 2-3 shift is happening often enough.  And that's with the Harley EPA approved setups.  Wait until there are more of them with aftermarket tunes and I think it will be a big issue. 

Reddog74usa

Quote from: Thermodyne on June 09, 2020, 10:06:54 AM
Quote from: IronButt70 on May 17, 2020, 06:48:17 PM

3rd gear failing on the 2-3 shift is happening often enough.  And that's with the Harley EPA approved setups.  Wait until there are more of them with aftermarket tunes and I think it will be a big issue.

My thoughts exactly. These things are screwin up in so many ways in stock form and folks talk about doing performance mods to them. Sorry to say but look out Harley, Indian is lookin real hard to eat your lunch so you better get yer poop right, and RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

moose

speaking of M8's does anyone know the amount of hours to change the M8 from a 114 to a 131 when the dealer does the swap ?

tia
Moose aka Glenn-

rigidthumper

I saw an invoice from a local dealer, they charged the customer 25 hours labor @$119/hr for a 114-117 stage 3 kit, with a Street Tuner.
The stage 3 kit labor included R&R cylinders/pistons, R&R cam, flash SE map, dyno pull, so pretty much the same thing they'd do for a 131 bolt on kit.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

cheech

Quote from: moose on June 10, 2020, 04:23:44 AM
speaking of M8's does anyone know the amount of hours to change the M8 from a 114 to a 131 when the dealer does the swap ?

tia
Moose, you have a kit on way correct? Are you trying to keep warranty intact?
Call the service dept. see what they say. Have you?

moose

I do have a kit on the way the swr is all taken care of    back log on the shipping from harley
Moose aka Glenn-

moose

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 10, 2020, 06:50:43 AM
I saw an invoice from a local dealer, they charged the customer 25 hours labor @$119/hr for a 114-117 stage 3 kit, with a Street Tuner.
The stage 3 kit labor included R&R cylinders/pistons, R&R cam, flash SE map, dyno pull, so pretty much the same thing they'd do for a 131 bolt on kit.

found the installation sheet for the 131 on the top it says 8 hours on the sheet   I can't see anyway someone would pay 25 hours for that

as for on the dyno   it's a canned map from harley that all they allow for warranty i assume
Moose aka Glenn-

PoorUB

25 hours?
It must have been a  "free" kit. Make it up on labor!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

moose

just called my un local dealer and they quoted  me 12 hours   I think that is reasonable to keep my warranty

otherwise I would do it my self its not brain surgery (I do that on weekends)
Moose aka Glenn-