April 18, 2024, 07:48:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2016 Twin Cam Future

Started by Jaystn62, April 19, 2020, 09:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaystn62

I just traded in my 2017 Fat Boy and purchased a 2016 Road Glide Special. I just added the Cobra Neighbor Haters and installed the Harley high flow air cleaner I already had. I have a Dan-Moto head pipe coming soon. I have a Power Vision PV-2 which I've been using for canned maps. My question is in the near future will this combination support going to 110 ci? Thanks in advance for any advice and insight.

rhuff

Quote from: Jaystn62 on April 19, 2020, 09:07:41 PM
I just traded in my 2017 Fat Boy and purchased a 2016 Road Glide Special. I just added the Cobra Neighbor Haters and installed the Harley high flow air cleaner I already had. I have a Dan-Moto head pipe coming soon. I have a Power Vision PV-2 which I've been using for canned maps. My question is in the near future will this combination support going to 110 ci? Thanks in advance for any advice and insight.

I don't know much about the Cobra's, but the D-M header should be more than adequate.  Get a real dyno tune ASAP, or especially when going 110.

Jaystn62

If and when I go to a 110 it will be dyno tuned. I don't live too far from Durwood so I'll probably be using him.

Jaystn62

Yes. I was looking at old threads concerning aftermarket 2-1-2 headpipes and decatted stock and one of the "old" guys recommended the Dan-Moto. He even left a link but the link had expired. So next day I just tried to go to their site myself and there was the pipe at half off. So I ordered it right then. Should be here sometime this week. I never knew they made a pipe for tourers. Everybody keeps harping on Fuelmoto, Fullsac and the V&H Power duals. I thought I'd give this one a try. If it last a year it's worth the price.

e-glide90

Put the dan- moto on trike this last winter, good performer, but real thin pipe. For the price happy with it.

Jaystn62

Like I said if it last a year it's worth it. I can save up to do 110 upgrade and install a new headpipe then. I'm glad I did the search before I bought something else.

Hillside Motorcycle

Those NH's are not a performer from what we've seen on our dyno.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Jaystn62

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on April 22, 2020, 04:36:44 AM
Those NH's are not a performer from what we've seen on our dyno.
I bought the NH mufflers to get some sound. I plan on upgrading if and when I go 110. What are popular performing mufflers now? I had Kuryakyn Crushers Slipstream mufflers on my RK but they don't sell them anymore.

What I've found is "good sounding stuff," also has good resale value on eBay! Ask whoever is going to tune your 110" what they like based on your combo of parts and then re-sale the cobras to retain some $$$. If the tuner suggests a 2-1, you could sale the x-pipe and cobras as a combo which would come close to paying for your 2-1.

Jaystn62

I know most tuners like a 2-1 but I'm not out to build a drag bike and I prefer the sound of the 2-1-2. I already planned on replacing the NH mufflers in the future but I'll keep the dual exhaust.

Jaystn62

Well got the Dan-Moto headpipe in yesterday afternoon while I was at work. Decided to install it this evening. It was a total failure. This thing did not even come close to fitting. Maybe it's why they are half price right now. The mounting tab that's suppose to bolt to bracket under transmission cover was about 1/2 inch too high. The outlet where the crossover tube mounts was pointed at an angle and the crossover pointed at about a 10 degree angle toward front of the bike and was under oil pan instead of running in the slot provided. Couldn't even get the support bracket on. I know a lot of people on here have used these and that's why I purchased this. Hopefully it's a one time deal. I already contacted them by mail and plan to call Monday. I doubt I can get a refund because I'm sure I dented and scratched it. Of all the pipes I've installed over the years and believe me there have some pretty cheesy ones I have say this is the worse fitting I've seen. Think I'll put the stock back on for now and save my money for Fuelmoto. Just really disappointed.

Quote from: Jaystn62 on April 25, 2020, 09:41:10 PM
Well got the Dan-Moto headpipe in yesterday afternoon while I was at work. Decided to install it this evening. It was a total failure. This thing did not even come close to fitting. Maybe it's why they are half price right now. The mounting tab that's suppose to bolt to bracket under transmission cover was about 1/2 inch too high. The outlet where the crossover tube mounts was pointed at an angle and the crossover pointed at about a 10 degree angle toward front of the bike and was under oil pan instead of running in the slot provided. Couldn't even get the support bracket on. I know a lot of people on here have used these and that's why I purchased this. Hopefully it's a one time deal. I already contacted them by mail and plan to call Monday. I doubt I can get a refund because I'm sure I dented and scratched it. Of all the pipes I've installed over the years and believe me there have some pretty cheesy ones I have say this is the worse fitting I've seen. Think I'll put the stock back on for now and save my money for Fuelmoto. Just really disappointed.

Have you taken the cat out of your stock pipe? At stage 1 I Doubt you'd notice any difference between a stock de-catted head pipe and fuel motos pipe. Bummer about the dan Moto...

PoorUB

That is what I did with my 2016 Limited. first I scribed a few lines across the area where the cat is to get the pipe lined up again. Then I cut the head pipe in half, front to back across the cat and opened it up. It is a bit of work, but I drilled and chiseled and finialy to a die grinder and cleaned out the pipe. I had my shop vac connected the the one of the pipes to suck out any dust. I have a MIG welder so it was easy to weld it back together. A little high temp silver paint and put it back on the bike. Re-tuned wit a TTS
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rigidthumper

On the M8 headpipe, the right muffler opening is big enough you can remove the cat with some flat tools and persistence.  No need to cut/weld.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Don D

There is a HTT member Waskier01 that used that pipe. It did not fit well either. It is imported you know. We built a 107 with my Street Pro Heads GMR 577 cam 10.5:1. He rides serious miles. With 30k on the build he lost an ECU in San Diego. He had a Power Vision on it so he went to a local independant in El Cajon and had it fixed and tuned. 122/121 SAE. So the pipe works well with those parts. Can't remember the mufflers he used.

Jaystn62

I have a headpipe I already decatted. I might try it. As far as the pipe being imported it has a big tag on it stating Made in China. I might try the decatted pipe today and see how it fits since I did it myself. I hope it didn"t twist or bow any. Thanks for all the input.

PoorUB

A lot of guys were messing with de-cated head pipes years ago when the 2010's came out and had pretty good performance gains. If you are looking for a small performance bump the de-cat will do it. If you are trying to wring out as much HP as you can a aftermarket pipe probably will do a bit better.

I run a de-cat OEM pipe on my 2016 Limited with stock mufflers and air cleaner. I tend to beat on it a bit. Right after I did it I was in Montana with a buddy on his identical, but factory stock 2016 Limited. We were messing around and on long grades that the stock Limited would barely pull in high gear I could run in high gear, roll up on him, drop the throttle and roll up on him again. It was a decent difference. I since have added Cycle Rama CR570-2 cams and retuned.

Jaystn62

Quote from: PoorUB on April 26, 2020, 09:38:06 AM
A lot of guys were messing with de-cated head pipes years ago when the 2010's came out and had pretty good performance gains. If you are looking for a small performance bump the de-cat will do it. If you are trying to wring out as much HP as you can a aftermarket pipe probably will do a bit better.

I run a de-cat OEM pipe on my 2016 Limited with stock mufflers and air cleaner. I tend to beat on it a bit. Right after I did it I was in Montana with a buddy on his identical, but factory stock 2016 Limited. We were messing around and on long grades that the stock Limited would barely pull in high gear I could run in high gear, roll up on him, drop the throttle and roll up on him again. It was a decent difference. I since have added Cycle Rama CR570-2 cams and retuned.
You like those Cycle Rama cams? Going to put this home grown decatted headpipe on and try it. Looking at the Bassani headpipe also. Direct Cycle is running a sale on them.

PoorUB

April 26, 2020, 12:06:47 PM #19 Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:35:50 PM by PoorUB
Yep, the CR570-2 is a nice drop in cam. I would run 'em again in a "stock" Twin Cam.

Jaystn62

Put the decatted headpipe on and wow. With the Neighbor Haters it really sounds off. Nice rumble at idle but it does have a bark. Now if it dries up here I'll take it out for a spin.

Hillside Motorcycle

Start making any kind of power whatsoever, those NH won't be up to the task.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Jaystn62

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on April 27, 2020, 04:35:03 AM
The adding power will have to wait. My funds on this bike are about to dry up. This winter hopefully will be a different story.

hawkijustin

I had Cobra NH, that danmoto headpipe (btw it fit fine other than the trans mount didnt line up AT ALL. I just didnt bolt it in) and V&H VO2 intake with FP3 tune. It ran very strong. I still have the DM headpipe if someone wants a cheap one lol.  Never got it on the dyno though.

In the past month I decided to change it up so I ordered a fuelmoto 2-1-2 headpipe, same vo2 intake, Woods 222 cams, Power vision and decided to ditch the NH for S&S MK45s. All going on this week. Is this a better combo for power?

Jaystn62

Quote from: hawkijustin on May 04, 2020, 05:06:59 PM
I had Cobra NH, that danmoto headpipe (btw it fit fine other than the trans mount didnt line up AT ALL. I just didnt bolt it in) and V&H VO2 intake with FP3 tune. It ran very strong. I still have the DM headpipe if someone wants a cheap one lol.  Never got it on the dyno though.

In the past month I decided to change it up so I ordered a fuelmoto 2-1-2 headpipe, same vo2 intake, Woods 222 cams, Power vision and decided to ditch the NH for S&S MK45s. All going on this week. Is this a better combo for power?
I had the same problem with the tranny mount plus the right side muffler would hit the swing arm if I had mounted it and the crossover pipe was pointed at about a 10 degree angle toward the front of the bike. I got the Neighbor Haters just for some sound. I'll be selling them after the summer. I'm sending the head pipe back. Paypal said they'll refund my money regardless of Dan-Moto's return policy. I might try that Bassani 2x2 pipe next and maybe the Magnaflow 4.5 Hitmans.

hawkijustin

Quote from: Jaystn62 on May 04, 2020, 10:49:21 PM
Quote from: hawkijustin on May 04, 2020, 05:06:59 PM

I had the same problem with the tranny mount plus the right side muffler would hit the swing arm if I had mounted it and the crossover pipe was pointed at about a 10 degree angle toward the front of the bike. I got the Neighbor Haters just for some sound. I'll be selling them after the summer. I'm sending the head pipe back. Paypal said they'll refund my money regardless of Dan-Moto's return policy. I might try that Bassani 2x2 pipe next and maybe the Magnaflow 4.5 Hitmans.

For the price and it coming from china im sure its all hit or miss if it fits or not. Mine fit well other than the trans mount. Probably made close to if not the same HP/TQ as the fuel moto jackpot I put on but I got a killer deal on a used stainless with coating.

Jaystn62

Just a little update. Since the Dan-Moto head pipe didn't work out I bit the bullet and ordered a Maganflow Tru-X head pipe. It's about the most tight fitting head pipe I have ever installed. I still have the Neighbor Haters but have a set of Cobra 4.5 Powr-Flo mufflers coming later this week. Seems to pull strong as it sits. Hopefully even better with the new mufflers. Getting itchy and thinking about throwing in a set of cams and getting it dyno'd.