April 26, 2024, 06:17:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam chain tensioner shoes from CYCO

Started by xlfan, April 22, 2020, 08:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prodrag1320

used more CYCO shoes than i can count in the past couple years,very nice product

scootertrash1

As I mentioned earlier in this thread about opening up my 2003 Fatty to have a look in the cam chest, if I wanted to do an upgrade, could I use a 2007/later cam support plate? Is this just a bolt in? It would have to be a new oil pump to, correct?

hattitude

Quote from: scootertrash1 on April 28, 2020, 06:46:57 AM
As I mentioned earlier in this thread about opening up my 2003 Fatty to have a look in the cam chest, if I wanted to do an upgrade, could I use a 2007/later cam support plate? Is this just a bolt in? It would have to be a new oil pump to, correct?

Yes.....  the cam plate just bolts in.... but...

You need to switch to conversion cams.... they fit the new style cam plate and old, smaller inner cam journal size...

You will also need the oil pump for the '07+ cam plate... the older (pre '07) oil pump won't work with the new style cam plate

You'll need new o-ring inner and outer cam chains as well as new chain sprockets

And of course you'll need to buy the hydraulic cam tensioners for the new style cam plate.

I don't have it handy, but there is a list of the parts needed... maybe find it in a search.. I believe Andrews has the list of parts in their catalog near their conversion cams...

scootertrash1

This is a project I'll probably hit next winter. I've got time to study up on what I want to do. Bike has 36K miles on it. Really, the only thing I need to do is put new tensioner shoes on it, but what I'd like to do is put a set of different cams and jugs on it! If I go the cam route, I'd rather up grade it to hydraulic or possible gear drive if the crank runout isn't to bad. I just put a gear drive in my 2010 bagger and have some of that hardware that came out of it. But what you gave me gives me a lot to research for and I thank you for that!

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

scootertrash1

FLFBRider

Replaced my shoes at 20,000 miles when I did the new cam. The inner OEM shoe looked almost new and the outer looked almost as good. They say the outer shoe will show more wear due to runout.

I went ahead and replaced them with new Fueling shoes and polished the chains on a buffing wheel and Flitz until they looked like chrome. I'm going to check them in another 20,000 to see how their doing.

JDhog211

I just wanted to respond to say that Cyco pads are the same as on the V-Twin ones.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

motorhogman

Quote from: JDhog211 on September 02, 2020, 09:14:58 PM
I just wanted to respond to say that Cyco pads are the same as on the V-Twin ones.

V- Twin or Twin Power.. I'm always mixing the two up..?
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Johnwesley

I run the originals for 15,000 miles and then swapped to cyco they have been in the bike for 25,000 miles if you like I can shoot some pics for you. Mine maybe the exception since at 15,000 the stock ones didn't look bad. 
05 FXD superglide,98",10.6,S&S585, HPI 55/58,
WFO Larry's cnc2+, supermeg,120hp

motorhogman

Quote from: Johnwesley on September 03, 2020, 06:00:13 PM
I run the originals for 15,000 miles and then swapped to cyco they have been in the bike for 25,000 miles if you like I can shoot some pics for you. Mine maybe the exception since at 15,000 the stock ones didn't look bad.

I found the info on packaging I got from CA Phil.  TWINPOWER.. made in USA. CYCO shoes.  I went well over 40,000 on my first set of OEM shoes (01 FLHT) at which point everything in the cam chest was replaced under extended warranty..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

jamminhd2000

Pulled this out of a 2007 street bob today....60,500 miles...fyi....jimmy

PoorUB

And I had the tensioners out of my 2010 at 60,000 and put them back in.

Some, actually very few will fail before their time, but the hydraulic tensioners in the Twin Cams have been very good, no reason to worry about them.

The hydraulic TC tensioners are not even on my list of things to be concerned about.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!