March 28, 2024, 12:06:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

82 FXR - Front Brake Upgrade Question

Started by atengnr, April 23, 2020, 06:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atengnr

Hey all - Wondering what is the easiest way to upgrade the front brakes on my 82 fxr.  My expectations are low, just want the braking power of the 1990s narrow glide front end.  Can I easily install a 1990s front end?  I presume that I could not use my wheel with the 1990s front end?

Thank you.

Burnout

You could do a Dyna type front end.
Depending on the year you may be able to use your wheel.
Later front ends used a larger axle and sealed bearings.

The dual disc front end on my Hooligan bike I am installing Ninja calipers. (4 piston floating caliper)

If you are using a spoke wheel you may have clearance issues on the inside depending on caliper choice.

Swapping the entire front end is much easier than piecing it all together but a custom setup will probably perform better.
The only good thing about the new style fixed calipers is that they don't rattle, they go through pads pretty quick, they make dragy noises, they may not hold up well for heavy use.
I like the larger axle but not the bearings that go with them DO NOT PRESSURE WASH!!! if you haven't figured that out. I have replaced a lot more of the sealed bearings than timkens, and they need special tools.

The 35mm forks are kinda noodley, I have not seen a good fork brace for them.
39mm you can mess with height somewhat. You can find 39mm FXDX or XLS Sport forks with cartridges and clicks top and bottom.  :up:
There are Gold Valves for the others.

Lots there to think about...
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Racepres

Have 3 of those here in the shop... best advice #1 use brake pads that Compliment the Rotor Material...
I like organic against the stock cast rotor, and if Stainless Rotors are used... I prefer at least semi metallic..
#2 Lever Pressure... If less lever pressure is Desired... remember that the MoCo seemed to Prefer heavy Lever pressure... Anti-lock brakes in the Beginning!!! Put a Smaller Diameter Master Cylinder on... as I recall H-D in that time used a 3/4 Master cylinder.. but, may have been smaller... Point is going smaller will reduce lever pressure required for Lock...

JW113

Quote from: Racepres on April 23, 2020, 08:59:45 AM
as I recall H-D in that time used a 3/4 Master cylinder.. but, may have been smaller... Point is going smaller will reduce lever pressure required for Lock...

BINGO. And yes, all the early master cylinders used a 3/4 piston. CRIMINAL!

You can easily install a later model evo front end. For the most part it should be a bolt on. If all you want is better brakes, take a look at Fabricator Kevin's caliper adapters, allows you to install a four puck Japanese sport bike front caliper (cheap!) as a bolt on.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on April 23, 2020, 10:11:42 AM
Quote from: Racepres on April 23, 2020, 08:59:45 AM
as I recall H-D in that time used a 3/4 Master cylinder.. but, may have been smaller... Point is going smaller will reduce lever pressure required for Lock...

BINGO. And yes, all the early master cylinders used a 3/4 piston. CRIMINAL!

You can easily install a later model evo front end. For the most part it should be a bolt on. If all you want is better brakes, take a look at Fabricator Kevin's caliper adapters, allows you to install a four puck Japanese sport bike front caliper (cheap!) as a bolt on.

-JW

Unfortunately... still gonna have that 3/4 Master cylinder... gonna want a 5/8 or so anyway... cheapest "Potty mouth" first...and no matter what caliper you use... the Pad/Rotor material Matters...

turboprop

Quote from: atengnr on April 23, 2020, 06:29:45 AM
Hey all - Wondering what is the easiest way to upgrade the front brakes on my 82 fxr.  My expectations are low, just want the braking power of the 1990s narrow glide front end.  Can I easily install a 1990s front end?  I presume that I could not use my wheel with the 1990s front end?

Thank you.

Yes, you can bolt on a 39mm narrow glide to your frame. Yes, you can use your existing wheel. This is a good upgrade, not just for the brakes.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.