April 23, 2024, 01:46:03 AM

News:

Oil Coolers

Started by scootertrash1, April 23, 2020, 08:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertrash1

2010 Ultra with 110 drop in jugs, 10.5:1 compression and S&S 551 cams. What's the skinny on an oil cooler for this Florida based bike that does an occasional trip up north to Sturgis or Illinois and even west to Texas?

ThumperDeuce

https://jagg.com/pages/harley-davidson

I run a fan assisted 10 row vertical side mount on my Deuce.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

kd

Doesn't your 2010 Ultra have one already?
KD

scootertrash1

That came on either the 103 or 110 inchers. Mine was originally a 96 inch.

kd

Then you'll need the adapter at the filter base too?
KD

scootertrash1

I would assume the answer is yes. From some pics I've seen, do these mount where regulator mounts? Does the oil line fittings screw into the oil filter housing where there is currently two Allen head plugs?

FLDavetrain

Quote from: scootertrash1 on April 23, 2020, 02:41:14 PM
I would assume the answer is yes. From some pics I've seen, do these mount where regulator mounts? Does the oil line fittings screw into the oil filter housing where there is currently two Allen head plugs?

The adapter w the jagg kit has the hose fittings. Very easy to swap oem filter housing threads w jagg unit
currently 510ci on tap

FLDavetrain

I believe you'll need a 2 1/4-1/2 12mm Allen bit for oem removal
currently 510ci on tap

ThumperDeuce

planemech

I have the Ultracool on my 2010FLHTK. its a good quality product an has a clean mounting arrangement. ive been really happy with it.

Appowner

I have an Oil Bud on my Softail.  Wouldn't use anything else.  Performance is outstanding and the cooler is hidden under the bike.  They are pricey but then, how much is the bike worth?

Here's a link to the Oil Bud for your bike:
https://harleyoilcoolers.com/store/touring-bagger/2010-2016/touring1016-machined/

Ohio HD

The Oil Bud is a decent concept. But I just never have understood how it won't get caked with road grime over time. Not the easiest place to clean on a bike.

Coyote

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 29, 2020, 11:15:44 AM
The Oil Bud is a decent concept. But I just never have understood how it won't get caked with road grime over time. Not the easiest place to clean on a bike.

It does. I had one for awhile. Worked well for cooling but the amount of road crap it collected was too much a PITA for me.  The Baker +1.5 oil pan does almost as good and it doesn't have the cleaning issues.

[attach=0]

FLFBRider

I also live in FL.
Have the Jagg 6 row vertical cooler with the braided steel lines on my 96ci 09'FB.

Has S&S 551 cams also. Even in the mid summer months my oil temp never exceeds 210deg.
Never leaks using the hose clamp type fittings. But I'm going to convert it over to AN fittings because I like the look and feel more confident in that type of connection.

Kllongbrake

Does the link for the AN fitting conversion work for anyone else? I get a "page not found" message when it links back to Jagg site.

kd

KD

ThumperDeuce

boooby1744

i have a slight dent and some fin damage on the stock cooler. can i just replace the cooler with a Jagg unit using the sock harley oli filter moun?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

You want to stay away from the Voltage Regulator to get maximum lifespan. If you're in a "Hot Area" like me in GA they can be Heat Generators and it just rides up on the Regulator. Frame Mount is best IMO
Tom

Appowner

I've had zero issues with dirt.  But then, I don't ride in the mud either.   :teeth:

topcat3815

Ive had the Bud oil cooler on for 6 years  no problems with dirt or grim build up they work

IronButt70

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on May 01, 2020, 05:34:06 AM

You want to stay away from the Voltage Regulator to get maximum lifespan. If you're in a "Hot Area" like me in GA they can be Heat Generators and it just rides up on the Regulator. Frame Mount is best IMO
:agree:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Appowner on May 01, 2020, 11:27:35 AM

I've had zero issues with dirt.  But then, I don't ride in the mud either.   :teeth:

You ride cross country with me, you'll hit just about everything. I've ridden on dirt roads, gravel roads that went on for 20 miles, you name it, I've ridden on it. Then after all the dirt, rode in rain for a whole day. So yeah, I don't want something that exposed to the front wheel and everything it'll throw under the bike.

[attach=0]   

[attach=1]

Hillside Motorcycle

On my 131", I run the factory cooler, and tied a 10-row Jagg frame mount into that.
Engine stays cool.......and quiet.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

Aren't you base in the north, how will it do in the Florida heat. And don't you run D&D exhaust is so how could you here any motor noise.