April 19, 2024, 01:22:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil Coolers

Started by scootertrash1, April 23, 2020, 08:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Buglet on May 06, 2020, 05:25:46 AM
   Aren't you base in the north, how will it do in the Florida heat. And don't you run D&D exhaust is so how could you here any motor noise.

What about the heat in the Congo?
Mohave?
Death Valley?
It's "hear"....and yes it is quiet....and your point is? :smile:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

I guess you miss it.

SB107

At idle the D&D is very tame, when you crack the throttle it sounds like thunder from hell. Also the valvetrain tends to talk a little louder at idle with oil pressure being down (at least that's what I've noticed). Hot oil + lower pressure = loud noises
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

Appowner

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 01, 2020, 09:00:34 PM
Quote from: Appowner on May 01, 2020, 11:27:35 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on April 29, 2020, 11:15:44 AM
The Oil Bud is a decent concept. But I just never have understood how it won't get caked with road grime over time. Not the easiest place to clean on a bike.

I've had zero issues with dirt.  But then, I don't ride in the mud either.   :teeth:

You ride cross country with me, you'll hit just about everything. I've ridden on dirt roads, gravel roads that went on for 20 miles, you name it, I've ridden on it. Then after all the dirt, rode in rain for a whole day. So yeah, I don't want something that exposed to the front wheel and everything it'll throw under the bike.

[attach=0,msg1345010]   

[attach=1,msg1345010]

Ha!  Ha!  I agree riding on dirt and such could cause issues.  I recall a test they did on the Bud where they shot it with a shotgun.  Then installed it and checked for leaks.  There were none.  It's obviously not a solution for everyone.  But for those of us it does work for, it works extremely well.

My riding originally was mostly commuting in the greater DC-Northern Virginia area.  Nothing but asphalt as far as the eye can see.  And in the summer rush hour?  Pavement temps well over 120 degrees in stop and go traffic.  While moving you could feel the hot air coming off the car in front of you.  I forget what the oil temps got to but the Bud made a huge difference and quite possibly saved the engine.  The bike made it easier for me to take alternate routes and avoid much of the traffic, heat and hassle of that place.  Now I'm retired in rural Michigan.  There are dirt roads here but unless I'm going some place specific, like a farm, I have no need to go down any of them.

scootertrash1

I ended up with a 750-2300 Jagg 10 row oil cooler. A few observations. 1 of them is during assembly on my 2010 Ultra, the direction point to that if I am removing a Harley oil cooler (I was not, I'm installing one now!) that I would need to removing the filter fitting and replace with the supplied unit. Problem here is the directions are not too clear to what needs to take place if you are replacing an oil cooler or adding one. Point is, I removed the filter nipple when I didn't have too! I simply exchanged them. 2nd observation is, the directions are very clear about not over tightening the hose clamps down as them may cut through the hose causing leaks. Over the years on such installs, I always tightened hose clamps down on automotive fuel lines, old power steering pumps and what not, as tight as I can get them with a good flat screw driver and that's been good. I used the supplied Jagg hose (Parker Push On 300 PSI). When tightening hose over the oil filter adaptor, I used a long screw driver and tightened clamp as I do normally do. However, the whole thing spun on the nipple. I put a small crescent wrench on the screwdriver shaft to get some more torque on the clamp and it still spins. I ended up with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and socket and got a bit more turn on the clamp to where it will not spin on the nipple. It seems to me it is extremely tight. Hope the clamp not damaged or cut into the hose. I can see more than half way around the hose that it is not cut, but cannot see the under side of the hoses. 3rd observation is the cooler itself bolts to the mounting bracket of the voltage regulator/rectifier unit. The bracketing on the cooler did not fit in between the down tubes. There was considerable grinding of about a 1/4 inch on both sides to clear each down tube. Once I could slide the mounting in far enough to get over the regulator mounting bolts, the cooler bolt holes didn't exactly line up. I simply drilled out the holes with a little larger bit to correct. Drilling, grinding and repainting my spiffy new $350 oil cooler wasn't exactly what I had in mind that day. I sort of thought it was a simple bolt on for my HD. Not really complaining, I do this stuff because I like to do it, but just hope it helps the next guy out or at least make aware what may pop up.   

Hossamania

"Fits these models, some field modification may be necessary."
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

scootertrash1

There certainly was! Good thing I wasn't out in my field, but in my garage where the grinder was!

chipthedonkey

I'm potentially in the market for an oil cooler once I see how some recent engine work handles the summer weather soon.  Just from reviewing photos I was inclined against the Buds unit and its under bike mount.  At least of you previously in this thread discussed running them.  Do they get in the way for oil changes or if a temp sensor is in the "other" hole in the front of the pan (early Twin Cam style).

It's still hard for me to imagine how the unit would avoid road grime.  Also would tend to think its effectiveness would be hindered when so directly facing all the reflected heat from a summer road surface.  Best inclination right now is that I'll end up using an UltraCool unit if I have to do something.  Best outcome would be not having to do anything of course as they're all just a little bit butt ugly.

Coyote

Yes, they are in the way. And yes they collect road grime. They do work well but I removed mine and went back to a front mounted cooler.

chipthedonkey

Quote from: Coyote on May 28, 2020, 04:29:29 PM
Yes, they are in the way. And yes they collect road grime. They do work well but I removed mine and went back to a front mounted cooler.

Much as I expected.  Thanks.  If needed will likely go with the UltraCool unit.  A few things about it have me leaning that way over the Jagg unit.

jmorton10

I have had an oil bud cooler on my 124 for years now & I love it.

I beat the s*** out of my bike & the oil never goes much above 220°

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

chipthedonkey

Quote from: jmorton10 on May 28, 2020, 05:24:12 PM
I have had an oil bud cooler on my 124 for years now & I love it.

I beat the s*** out of my bike & the oil never goes much above 220°

~John

Would it be in the way of a temp sensor in the front of the oil pan or do you have to mess with it for oil changes?  My abundance of patience for such things might be an issue.

Coyote

I already told you it's in the way of everything. IF you have to remove or install the temp sensor, you have to have the connector already on the sensor. Which means you have to twist up the wire to it in the opposite direction and then screw it into the pan.

It's also in the way of the drain plug. Although you can get the plug out, just a bit more of a pain.

On top of the oil bud will be a collection of dirt, grease, gravel and every other kind of road crap.

But it does work well. lol

chipthedonkey

Quote from: Coyote on May 28, 2020, 05:54:00 PM

I already told you it's in the way of everything.

Had seen that.  For reasons varying from different models to manufacturing tolerances we don't always all have the same experiences though.  So when I'm collecting info I do tend to do just that; collect.  If there's contradictions in the info then dig a little deeper.  My intent was to inquire rather than to offend.

Coyote

Quote from: 2Lane on May 28, 2020, 06:44:05 PM
My intent was to inquire rather than to offend.

Worry not.  :wink:

chipthedonkey

Appowner

Quote from: 2Lane on May 28, 2020, 04:13:23 PM
I'm potentially in the market for an oil cooler once I see how some recent engine work handles the summer weather soon.  Just from reviewing photos I was inclined against the Buds unit and its under bike mount.  At least of you previously in this thread discussed running them.  Do they get in the way for oil changes or if a temp sensor is in the "other" hole in the front of the pan (early Twin Cam style).

It's still hard for me to imagine how the unit would avoid road grime.  Also would tend to think its effectiveness would be hindered when so directly facing all the reflected heat from a summer road surface.  Best inclination right now is that I'll end up using an UltraCool unit if I have to do something.  Best outcome would be not having to do anything of course as they're all just a little bit butt ugly.

I have one on my 08 FXSTC so I don't have an oil pan.  But for me it's the best.  Doesn't interfere with anything.  And when parked, you don't even notice it.

But for specific questions, maybe a phone call to the manufacturer would answer a lot?  1-406-457-2458

chipthedonkey

Quote from: Appowner on May 30, 2020, 04:24:31 AM

I have one on my 08 FXSTC so I don't have an oil pan.  But for me it's the best.  Doesn't interfere with anything.  And when parked, you don't even notice it.

But for specific questions, maybe a phone call to the manufacturer would answer a lot?  1-406-457-2458

Took a couple of attempts (not a problem there) but did speak to someone at their phone number.  Your FX won't offer comparable comparison for how the units might fit on a touring model but it's still good to know that space in design is something they've considered when they can.  When I spoke with someone at their phone # a few weeks ago the answer I got wasn't unexpected but wasn't absolutely helpful either.  One of those "they can vary a bit, be careful during installation, I'm sure you'll be fine" kind of conversations.

FLFBRider

Converted the fittings on my Jagg cooler over to AN fittings and braided steel lines.
Was a piece of cake. Took about an hour.

Used all Russell AN fittings and line. Total cost was $60. Looks awesome and never have to worry about leaks again.   :chop:

Appowner

Quote from: 2Lane on May 30, 2020, 09:26:12 AM
Quote from: Appowner on May 30, 2020, 04:24:31 AM

Took a couple of attempts (not a problem there) but did speak to someone at their phone number.  Your FX won't offer comparable comparison for how the units might fit on a touring model but it's still good to know that space in design is something they've considered when they can.  When I spoke with someone at their phone # a few weeks ago the answer I got wasn't unexpected but wasn't absolutely helpful either.  One of those "they can vary a bit, be careful during installation, I'm sure you'll be fine" kind of conversations.

I never talked to them myself.  My cooler was put on by my Indy in Virginia who was enthusiastic about them.  Now that I'm living in Michigan I doubt I'll ever need it again.  But I'm not taking it off.  And as I've said before, they're probably not for everyone.  But for those of us they do work for, they're great.

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: FLFBRider on June 04, 2020, 03:15:16 PM
Converted the fittings on my Jagg cooler over to AN fittings and braided steel lines.
Was a piece of cake. Took about an hour.

Used all Russell AN fittings and line. Total cost was $60. Looks awesome and never have to worry about leaks again.   :chop:

You wouldn't happen to have a list of the parts you used? I would like to convert my bike over to AN fittings.

Thank you

mrmike

January 27, 2021, 03:46:36 PM #46 Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 03:51:21 PM by mrmike
Oil coolers are great, I've been running one for 17 years but in traffic eventually my bike would get hot and the motor would begin to "lope".

Years ago I bought a set of the Wards fans, I didn't want to but with this NJ traffic something had to happen and the oil cooler wasn't making it.

The fans work a treat, who'd a thunk blowing air over an air cooled motor would keep it cool?

Shame what happened to Ward though.

PS, What ever happened to the guys that were running the crash bar cooler set up? Was the topic of many posts here many moons ago.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: mrmike on January 27, 2021, 03:46:36 PM
Oil coolers are great, I've been running one for 17 years but in traffic eventually my bike would get hot and the motor would begin to "lope".

Years ago I bought a set of the Wards fans, I didn't want to but with this NJ traffic something had to happen and the oil cooler wasn't making it.

The fans work a treat, who'd a thunk blowing air over an air cooled motor would keep it cool?

Shame what happened to Ward though.

PS, What ever happened to the guys that were running the crash bar cooler set up? Was the topic of many posts here many moons ago.

Mike

Mike,

I am one that is running oil through my engine guard.  It works well.  Only gets warm when i am not moving and cools down quickly once I do start cruising again.

I am wanting to do the AN quick connect fittings so that I can change oil faster and cleaner.

William

Pirsch Fire Wagon

January 28, 2021, 12:16:00 PM #48 Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 02:00:05 PM by Pirsch Fire Wagon
Quote from: boooby1744 on April 30, 2020, 07:08:26 PM
i have a slight dent and some fin damage on the stock cooler. can i just replace the cooler with a Jagg unit using the sock harley oli filter moun?

You can. But, why would you want to? The H-D splits the feed between the cooler and the engine. A Jagg systems processes all the oil through the cooler with their adaptor..
Tom

kd

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on January 28, 2021, 12:16:00 PM
Quote from: boooby1744 on April 30, 2020, 07:08:26 PM
i have a slight dent and some fin damage on the stock cooler. can i just replace the cooler with a Jagg unit using the sock harley oli filter moun?

You can. But, why would you want to? The H-D splits the feed between the cooler and the engine. A Jagg systems processes all the oil through the cooler with their adaptor..

The soft aluminum fins can very easily be opened up with a toothpick. For the reasons that PFW mentions about the oil flow route, I have an old shovelhead style Lockhart cooler mounted under the steering head position they were used in and plumbed it in series with the return line.  I have the option of using the OEM soft cover on it in the cooler weather but get the benefit of the extra cooling during hot times. I can also use the Harley thermostat I have to redirect flow when it is not up to temp.  It sits more in the direct air flow so it is quite efficient when in use.
KD