April 19, 2024, 06:01:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam Question

Started by DA71FX, April 24, 2020, 10:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DA71FX

While cleaning the garage and organizing the chaos in there I cam across a Shovel Cam that I am not sure of the maker and specs....It appears to be for a Late Cone Shovel and i smarked on the gear  W&S  .495 LL

Any Idea on who made it, what the specs are? I think this came from a pile I bought at a meet some time in the late 90s
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Hybredhog

if its a S&S .495, that was their big Shovel cam for Years, needed bigger C.I. & or compression to work right. You might find the specs on Google?
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Dogbone45ACP

W&S Engineering. I had a 445 in a 84" stroker. ran very good. The fellows name was John and I can't for the life of me remember his last name. John Harmon maybe. The cam spec card had Lenco transmission's info on it.
Mine was machined from one chunk of steel. The gear could not be removed.

Dogbone45ACP

The gear was lightened. Looked alot like one of Jim Leineweber's early cams.
Wanna sell it?

DA71FX

That really does sound like this cam.....at first I thought it was a lienweber......Actually I would like to figure out what the specs are and build hopefully be able to use it in a shovel with 4 1/2 inch flywheels
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Dogbone45ACP

I bet it would run great in a stroker. If I can dig up any specs I'll post them for you. I do remember the cam specs were at .020 lift just like Leineweber measured his. Might shoot a E mail to Jim and see if he ground it for J&S.

Ohio HD

Quote from: DA71FX on April 24, 2020, 12:23:16 PM
That really does sound like this cam.....at first I thought it was a lienweber......Actually I would like to figure out what the specs are and build hopefully be able to use it in a shovel with 4 1/2 inch flywheels

Jeff is right, it's an S&S 495

A minimum of 10:1 and some cubic inches to use it. I've used it, it's a decent cam, but all top end unless you have 93+ inches and compression.

[attach=0,msg1343997]

Dogbone45ACP

I think the cam in question is from W&S Engineering , Lemon Grove, CA.

Dogbone45ACP

The S&S .495 had a removable gear. It may have been ground by Andrews for S&S.

DA71FX

April 25, 2020, 01:24:32 PM #9 Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:34:35 PM by DA71FX
This is definitely not an S&S cam... As I have a few of those to compare to. I made a mistake it's a W&S .485

See the difference
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Dogbone45ACP

Looks just like the W&S I had.

jimlibo

They used to get their blanks from a transmission manufacturer and that's probably why it had that card with it. Very Lieneweber looking lobes and gear cuts. Some you could get with an undersize outer journal for needle bearing in the cam cover. I have a NOS W&S 450 here still and used a couple of them in 84" builds a long time ago. Unfortunately I have no timing specs for any. It definitely might be worth saving if in good shape if you can degree it in an engine. They had some really good running grinds.

Dogbone45ACP

Jim, do you remember the name of the owner of W&S?

jimlibo

At this time no but it's still kind of early and the wheels aren't spun up yet. I'll think on it through the day and I have to talk to someone later who will likely have some reliable info too. Will post up later.

Dogbone45ACP

I know the feeling. Takes a pot of black coffee to get going.

jimlibo

His name was John Wood or Woods. Talked to a fellow long time engine builder today and the name Lenco came up right away about the blanks. W&S also sold Spring kits and Thin stem valves and maybe even some trans gears and such. No timing specs. I can't find that 450 that I have now but haven't had much time to look. I pulled it out a couple months ago as I planned on degreeing it in the next Shovel engine I do.
My old enginebuilding friend also said that someone local to him will soon be redoing an old stroker build in a 1973 and it has a W&S 485 in it so if he sees it he'll lift the timing specs and let me know. All I can tell you now.

Dogbone45ACP

DA71FX

93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH