April 23, 2024, 12:52:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil leak behind primary, I need advice

Started by twincam8888, April 30, 2020, 05:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincam8888

I'm working on a friends 2005 CVO Electra Glide. it has 150,000 miles on it. He bought it at an auction 5,000 miles ago so we do not know it's history. It has developed a serious oil leak behind the inner primary. At least some of the oil is definitely tranny fluid and some might be primary fluid. Pulling off the inner primary I find that the inner primary bearing race has walked up against the main drive gear (5th gear). The pulley seems very secure and it seems dry behind the pulley....I'm inclined the leave the pulley in place, once i have removed the inner primary race I believe I can replace the 12035B main shaft oil seal with the pulley still installed? Is that correct?  I welcome any related comments. Thank you.
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

les

You will be able to get to the 5th gear seal with the pulley on (the small seal).  However, 150K miles is a lot of miles.  So, what would I do if I were working on the bike?

I would remove the pulley too.  I would also replace the shifter shaft seal, the large tranny seal, replace the pulley spacer with a new one, and also the quad seal that goes on the inside of the pulley spacer. 

Getting to that point of disassembly for the 5th gear seal is a lot of work and mess, and I hate to go into some place twice that I've already been.

I would also be replacing the inner primary bearing, its seal, and snap ring.  Yes, this is extra expense but as mentioned I don't like to dick around yet another time in there.

Don't forget to lay out the clutch plates and inspect them too.  Measure with calipers to see how close they are within specs (service manual).

twincam8888

But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Going in that far, replace the Final Drive Gear Bearing as well.
Tom

Armin

If you don't disassemble the gear box replace all the seals that are part of the main shaft system including the quad seal and most importantly replace the inner main shaft bearing race using the S&S inner bearing race specified for your bike. Its design prevents the inward walking.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

Leed

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on April 30, 2020, 06:12:51 PM

I highly agree to replacing the Final Drive Gear Bearing too.  It's remarkable that yours has lasted this long.

scoopfraser

2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

smoserx1

May 01, 2020, 08:18:48 AM #7 Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:37:12 AM by smoserx1
As an FLHT owner and DIY person I feel your pain.  As Les said in the first reply the 5th gear seal 12035B  can be accessed with the pulley on but that race has to go.  If it has walked it will be all but impossible to use the horseshoe attachment that comes with most race removers.  Some have said you can go into the tranny from the trap door end and move the mainshaft to the left and possibly get enough clearance.  Last time it happened to me I scored the old race lengthwise with a rotary tool and wheel (at a slight angle) and tapped the score groove with a hammer and cold chisel till the old race split.  It is a trick I learned here.  No way I could have done that with the pulley on.  Also removing the old seal, Lisle makes a tool (58430) that some say pulls out the old seal pretty good.  i have the tool but haven't used it yet.  i have always gotten the old race out with a small flat screwdriver using a circular motion prying outward.  Usually takes me 20 or more iterations before the old seal begins to move, and again I don't see how I could do this with the pulley on.  And to remove the spacer, large seal or quad ring that pulley has to go.  I wouldn't even think of proceeding and not removing the pulley.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Good luck, a PIA job but very doable.

Dan89flstc

May 02, 2020, 06:13:30 PM #8 Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:20:30 PM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: Leed on May 01, 2020, 07:09:39 AM
Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on April 30, 2020, 06:12:51 PM

I highly agree to replacing the Final Drive Gear Bearing too.  It's remarkable that yours has lasted this long.

The big ball bearing in the 5 speed transmission is not a known weak point, replacing the bearing would require gearset removal.

With 150K on the transmission, I would replace all the oil seals (and pulley spacer) on the left side of the transmission.

Also replace the inner primary bearing inner and outer races.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Eglider05

Grab the pulley and see if there is any up and down movement. If there is you will need to replace the bearings inside the main gear. they frequently walk towards each other.

Rick