May 05, 2024, 10:29:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

lost the thread on where to ride in arkansas

Started by jack5hd, May 10, 2009, 07:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack5hd

want to ride in arkansas ....there was a thread a while back that had roads picked out.would like to read it again..........thanks j.k.

jmanjeff

Any where in the Ozarks  Jasper, Arkansas, Scenic Hwy 7, Hwy 43, and the "Pig Trail". Hell just about any where
1957  Sportster

Old Crow

Pretty much any road north of I-40 is a good road to ride. 
I'm in the Mtn View area and around here it's all good.  Best sections though are Hwy 9, Sylamore to Melbourne, and Push Mtn Rd (Hwy 341) from Big Flat to just north of Norfork.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/SouthEast/AR/AR_2.shtml
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

GaryD

Mt. Nebo by Russelville

A must for REAL bikers  :up: :teeth:
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

texaskatfish

Quote from: GARYD on May 11, 2009, 07:44:07 AM
Mt. Nebo by Russelville

A must for REAL bikers  :up: :teeth:

GaryD - I ran across a steakhouse in Russelville years ago (coincidentally on our Gracie's very 1st long  run (to go for a week's broker training in Birmingham) - 4500 or so miles in 22 days from Denver as far east as Atalanta and back)
This place (as I recall) was right next to a Motel 6............you had to pay a $5 (in spring of 2001 anyways) 'fee' to sign up as a member to get served an adult beverage. But the $11 I paid for a Ribeye was cash well spent and deeeeelicious!

ANYwhere in Northwest Arkyland or southeastern OK is GREAT riding!!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

chaos901

Anywhere north of I-40 and west of US-67 is good.  The places mentioned earlier are all good, SR-123 to Mt. Judea and on south is real good.  The locals call it "Mt. Judy" by the way. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

TwistedSister

Nebo  in  a  downpour . . . now  THAT  will  pucker  your  butt  up  REAL  good!!!!  LMAO!!!!

Talamina Drive  from  Mena AR to  Talahena,OK  is  a beautiful  ride,   lots of  good  views  too.
Drinking doesn't cause hangovers... waking up  does...
TS
SW Arkisaw USN RET

carltex

Last weekend of the month we're gonna ride from Ozark to Eureka Springs. Think that's called the pig tail, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, just east of there looked like some good riding from an aerial map.

Big Dan

Heh. Mt. Nebo, in a blinding rain, lost and not knowing what we were getting into.... Yeah, Sis, that was a ride none of us will likely ever forget.

Wow. I just thought of something, Sis. We've done the Dragon... the Pig Trail... the Talimena.... Cherahola Skyway.... BRP.... All the rides in and around Sturgis.... and I don't know how many other ones I'm forgetting... but you and I and a few others have done a LOT of riding together over the years. Nebo still rules all, though.

Never follow the Hippo into the water.

GaryD

There's no way I can imagine going up Mt. Nebo in the rain. WERE YOU GUYS DRUNK OR WHAT?   :hyst:
Pig Trail is where I lost it back in 03. Little too fast, hit the "Hairpin Turn" sign, kept me from going over. $12,000.00 in damages(all the fiberglass). Have you ever priced out a new tank? -- painted? OUCH.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

Norton Commando

Magazine Mountain to Eureka Springs on hwy 23.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Big Dan

Gary, we were dead-ass lost. Never heard of Mt. Nebo before. The rain was so hard there were rivers crossing the road, and waterfalls coming right out of the side of the rock face. All You could see was the taillight of the bike in front of you, and even that was sketchy. And when we finally hit the top, we of course figured the way down would be a lot easier. Then we saw the "dead end" sign and knew we'd have to come back down the same way we went up. There were 7 or 8 of us, and poor Snowdog was out front. I dunno how in the hell he could tell where to go, but he got us there and back. We went up again a few days later when the weather was nice, just for kicks.

I hear people talk about how tough the Dragon, or some of the other well known roads are, and I just think to myself "You ain't seen nothin' yet."
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

TwistedSister

Yep  Dan. . ..   there  are  several  of  us that  have  racked  up  a  few  miles  together. . . made  many  awesome  memories. . .shared  alot of  times~laughter~eye-rollin'  that  I wouldn't  trade for  several  million  $$$
I  hope there  are many many  more  !!!!
Just  think. . . .  only  about  a  month to  Bardstown,KY   :smilep:   wooooohoooooo
I'm a  very lucky  old  fatass  chick  to  have  you/Patti ~n~ a  schitt load  of  others  in  my  life
Drinking doesn't cause hangovers... waking up  does...
TS
SW Arkisaw USN RET

jack5hd

texaskatfish

Quote from: Big Dan on May 12, 2009, 01:52:59 PM
Gary, we were dead-ass lost. Never heard of Mt. Nebo before. The rain was so hard there were rivers crossing the road, and waterfalls coming right out of the side of the rock face. All You could see was the taillight of the bike in front of you, and even that was sketchy. And when we finally hit the top, we of course figured the way down would be a lot easier. Then we saw the "dead end" sign and knew we'd have to come back down the same way we went up. There were 7 or 8 of us, and poor Snowdog was out front. I dunno how in the hell he could tell where to go, but he got us there and back. We went up again a few days later when the weather was nice, just for kicks.

I hear people talk about how tough the Dragon, or some of the other well known roads are, and I just think to myself "You ain't seen nothin' yet."

Dan while I wouldn't wish it on anyone - coming down a rainy Wolf Creek Pass into Pagosa Springs on US 160 in southern Colorado also provides a definite 'pucker factor'!

Even on a beautiful day that 'snow slide tunnel' at the top will shake your boots as you roll from bright sunshine into what seems like a bucket of black paint (surprising how one can quickly yank down sunglasses 'at speed' without tearin em off your face! HEH)
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

jack5hd

thanks everyone for replies.i am thinking of staying in eureka springs area and doing day trips from there........what do you think?.j.k.

Kansas

Sounds good to me.  I rode down there a couple years ago and didn't realize what a challenging ride it would be with endless tight blind turns through woods.  I did a ride down south on Hwy. 7 and across to the Pigs Trail and back north.  It was too much for one day.

Mi_RDGlide

You can't go wrong with any of the roads around Eureka, Make sure you go to War Eagle Mill. Have a friend with a home on Beaver Lake. I have put a lot of miles on it that area. This was from one of our trips.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww321/CorruptedRdGlide/Ark.jpg
You only need to be 10% smarter than the thing your working on.

jack5hd

i am thinking about staying at beaver lake any suggestions? thanks j.k.

Sportsterboy

Highway 12 going across Beaver Lake is pretty ride.  From there pick up AR 23 (south of Eureka Springs) and ride it south to to Ozark, Ar. (this is called the "Pig Trail").  AR 187 from US 62 to Beaver, Ar. takes you across the suspension bridge over the White River/Table Rock Lake at Beaver, Ar. Lots of good riding.  Where on/near Beaver Lake are you going to be staying?   :wink:

Sportsterboy

Group from SE Ks. we used to ride with came down to Eureka Springs and then we rode to Mt. Magazine (near Paris, Ar.) and over to Altus (winery country), then on up thru Boston Mountains and to Fayetteville before going back to Eureka Springs.  Pictures are from Mt. Magazine.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Sportsterboy

Another Mt. Magazine picture.....overlooking Blue Mountain Lake to the south of Mt. Magazine Lodge

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]