March 28, 2024, 08:41:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

The Mutt

Started by bluehighwayfx, May 06, 2020, 08:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluehighwayfx

The Mutt, 1976 FXE. I bought it in 1978. This build has a 90 something H.D. front end complete, 90 something H.D. rear brake with the 10 inch disk. Those were both added to comply with my Grand Father's edict: "if it won't stop it ought not to go!"
A cousin painted it.  A friend that is a much, much better welder/fabricator than me put the 2001 Indian Scout rear fender on and lowered it as far down as it would go and made the pipes and oil tank. A nice bright LED headlight with a high beam indicator is the total instrumentation.
Killing bugs at high speed since 1978, same shovel, different day.

Burnout

Those are 11.5" brakes, F & R......
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

bluehighwayfx

Damn, that is the first mistake I ever made.  Thanks.

Burnout

I think a 76 would have originally had 10" brakes, unless it had a single disk front which would be 11.5"
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Ohio HD

If I remember correctly, '76 FX was single front disc 11.5", '76 FL was single front disc 10.0", '78 up was dual front disc 10.0".

Buglet

I have an original 76 sitting here with 3K on it, it has 11.5 single disc.

Racepres

Quote from: Burnout on May 06, 2020, 02:11:17 PM
I think a 76 would have originally had 10" brakes, unless it had a single disk front which would be 11.5"
No
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 06, 2020, 02:22:17 PM
If I remember correctly, '76 FX was single front disc 11.5", '76 FL was single front disc 10.0", '78 up was dual front disc 10.0".
That 1974 thru 1977  Single front disk was the pie slice caliper [cloverleaf rotor], just like on Sportsters.... Yes... '78 and up FX and FXE was dual front disk... 1977 FXS was Dual Disk...Sportster '78 and Up same same..
BTW the 1973 Models Had a Banana on the Narrowglide..ala FLH
The FLH had that same Banana, front till???? "Potty mouth"  I'm Thinking after the Shovelhead..Looking
Nope... about '82 maybe...

JW113

Damn dude, that looks like the same color as my bike. House of Kolor Candy Cobalt?
:beer:

And I believe banana-fana-fofanas until end of '84 on the FL/FLH models.

[attach=0]

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

bluehighwayfx

Nope, NAPA, some car color that looked good in the sun.  I like your color but it looks slightly darker than mine.
I remember about 1979, the first time I painted it silver mist pearlesant with a silver base coat.  I thought no way I will ever see another one this color.  You know the rest I bet, the first bar I went in I bumped into an FL painted  the same only a white base coat.
I think it is really funny that this whole thread seems to be worried about brakes I took off.

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on May 06, 2020, 05:41:20 PM
Damn dude, that looks like the same color as my bike. House of Kolor Candy Cobalt?
:beer:

And I believe banana-fana-fofanas until end of '84 on the FL/FLH models.

[attach=0,msg1345669]

-JW
Yup... I think so... on FLH's

Quote from: bluehighwayfx on May 06, 2020, 06:11:50 PM

I think it is really funny that this whole thread seems to be worried about brakes I took off.
I like Stock/OE... Lots think there are Better out there... I had one AssHat run right up my ass and crash us both... plus a few others.. Because the Whole Pack got stopped... except him... with his Wizz Bang Brakes....
So... Better, ain't always... I had Bananas on a Shovel FLH...
Tho admittedly... his riding Skills were obviously Suspect... Most Riders, can utilize a bit better braking... And realize... there is No Magic...

JW113

Admittedly the stock brakes of the shovelhead era left a little to be desired, but in fact it's not really the banana caliper that's the problem. The problem is the monster sized (3/4") master cylinder pistons they were using. Very little mechanical advantage at the lever. I have a 5/8" m/c on the rear, and it feels about the same as the new bikes. I toyed with the notion to have the front m/c sleeved to 5/8 or 9/16, but never got past thinking about it. I have no complaints with the banana calipers, it will stop just fine, you just have to put some forearm muscle on the lever.

And my grandpa used to say: Don't out drive the brakes!

-JW

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on May 06, 2020, 07:18:17 PM
Admittedly the stock brakes of the shovelhead era left a little to be desired, but in fact it's not really the banana caliper that's the problem. The problem is the monster sized (3/4") master cylinder pistons they were using. Very little mechanical advantage at the lever. I have a 5/8" m/c on the rear, and it feels about the same as the new bikes. I toyed with the notion to have the front m/c sleeved to 5/8 or 9/16, but never got past thinking about it. I have no complaints with the banana calipers, it will stop just fine, you just have to put some forearm muscle on the lever.

And my grandpa used to say: Don't out drive the brakes!

-JW

Excellent point... but, you already knew I would Agree... I had a Hurst/Airheart 5/8 front master cylinder for awhile... huge difference in lever pressure.. wish I still had it now that I'm gettin a lot more Grey!!!!!

JW113

If I didn't want to keep the bike stock looking, I'd switch the handlebar controls to the later stuff with a 9/16" m/c. But at the end of the day, I don't really need it. The bike will stop just fine. No problem. Yes, squeeze the living crap out of the lever, and it will lock the front wheel if you want. Just takes getting used to. Hey it's old iron. You ride accordingly.

Oh and Blue Highway, sorry for hijacking your thread.
:SM:

-JW

Buglet

I know 84 FLH's had two piston rear calipers like on the FLT's, not sure if they starter that in 83 or not. It also had a different saddle bag to clear the caliper.

Racepres

Quote from: Buglet on May 07, 2020, 05:19:39 AM
  I know 84 FLH's had two piston rear calipers like on the FLT's, not sure if they starter that in 83 or not. It also had a different saddle bag to clear the caliper.

Started in like '81 or so... but... more pistons is Not the Answer to lever pressure...
and no one I know is Lacking Leverage on the Rear Brake... In fact Most Overuse it...
But, Like JW says, I will try Not to Drift Further!!!

Buglet

That is one and main reason for ABS so anyone can hit the brakes and it will adjust the pressure for you. You don't have to learn how to stop anymore.

JW113

And with cameras, radars, GPS, computers, servos, soon we won't even need to do anything but sit on the bike and be carted around. No skill required for anything. Sounds real fun and exciting, I can hardly wait.
:SM:

-JW

Buglet

BMW all ready has that it even puts down the kick stand with it time to stop. Drives by it self with no one on it. I still like to old way were I have control.

JW113

I guess I do too. My "newest" bike is almost 20 years old!

-JW