April 19, 2024, 08:16:57 AM

News:

32,30 Trans pulley

Started by Prostock, May 06, 2020, 01:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prostock

Have a 16 RGS, built 107,  would like to go to a 30 tooth trans pulley.  Does anyone know if I will run out of Axle cam adjustment.  Any in put or recommendations would be great.  Thx

Scot

kd

You won't with a 31 but generally do with 30 using the stock belt.  Some just massage a little out of the rear of the slot by handfor the needed extra travel.  You will also have to weld a short piece of key stock or something similar to the swingarm on each side so the adjusting cam on the axle can reach it.
KD

Prostock

I wish they still made the game changer and also looks like tuckers 32 is no longer available.

Prostock

Can I run a 1" belt compared to the 24mm.  BDL has a 137 and drag has a 137 and 139.  Little scared of a drag belt but never had to deal with it either.  139 would put the tire alittle farther back in the chassis also.

kd

IMO the OEM belt is the most durable.  It is no small task changing belts so you want a good one.  As said. the 30 with the OEM belt has been done lots of times by members here.  I did 31 because it was easier and used a 49 tooth clutch basket with it (3.16 ratio) instead of doing a 30 tooth.  I needed the stronger clutch basket anyway. 

Many have good success putting big power through an OEM belt but it turns out I needed a chain drive.  If I would have gone that way first, a whole new world of gear options would have been available through sprocket changes. 
KD

kd

:up:   No speedo, cruise or 6th gear light issues either.
KD

Tail Ridr

Quote from: kd on May 06, 2020, 05:20:35 PM
:up:   No speedo, cruise or 6th gear light issues either.
KD, are there any of these issues with the 49t basket?
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

kd

The eco reads road speed at the transmission and any changes after that point will change what the speed sensor sends to the cement.  Changes before the speed sensor like in the primary do not change what the sensor picks up for "road" speed.
KD

PoorUB

Primary ratio change effects the cruise control. The Cruise control looks at engine RPM and transmission output RPM to make sure the clutch is engaged.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

cheech

Quote from: PoorUB on May 07, 2020, 06:56:12 PM
Primary ratio change effects the cruise control. The Cruise control looks at engine RPM and transmission output RPM to make sure the clutch is engaged.
Isn't that also how they're determining when to indicate the 6th gear light?

kd

We had to enter the 49 tooth primary ratio into the TTS program and the final 31 tooth transmission pulley ratio when tuning the first time. Every thing including the speedo worked at the end. When I changed to chain drive and the GrudgeBox I lost the 6th gear light and cruise in the earlier gears but the speedo is off now too.  Maybe because the transmission ratios are different. I'll have to deal with it when I go for a retune due to other changes.  I admit I am now confused at what happened because the individual transmission gear ratios changed but the final ratio only changed from 3.16 to 3.15.  The primary stayed at 32 / 49 as before.  Maybe a tuner will chime in with some good info.
KD

PoorUB

Quote from: cheech on May 07, 2020, 07:12:20 PM
Isn't that also how they're determining when to indicate the 6th gear light?

Yes, the Harley transmission has no sensor or indicator to show what gear you are in. It is all done through programming in the ECM. In simple terms the ECM sees the engine RPM and transmission output shaft RPM, crunches the numbers and knows what gear it is in and puts that number on the dash. Pull in the clutch and the ratio goes out of wack and the tranny gear indicator goes away on the dash. Change the primary ration and it screws up the gear indicator and the cruise control because the ECM can not match the engine RPM with the tranny RPM. Depending on what tuning device you are using this can be corrected.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

Quote from: Prostock on May 06, 2020, 01:46:06 PM
I wish they still made the game changer and also looks like tuckers 32 is no longer available.

A bit more than just the game changer sprocket, but there is another way.

https://darkhorsecrankworks.com/shop/ols/products/man-o-war-motorsprocket-32-tooth-twin-cam

Ohio HD

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

brent

jmorton10 are you happy with the Vulcan

jmorton10

Quote from: brent on May 10, 2020, 09:00:52 AM
jmorton10 are you happy with the Vulcan

Yes, I am very happy with it.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS